The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 587 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
This is an interesting story that kept me in smiles throughout, except for the occasional empathetic prickle of embarrassment. You did a great job of building the characters.

I have just a bit of red ink. In the beginning you switch from the first person and you begin to talk directly to the reader. Instead of doing that, I think it would pull the reader in more and let the reader know the MC better if instead of: You keep this inside,
Change it to: I keep this inside. Then you can even show the reader more of the angst of the MC with something like: I nibble on my lower lip as I swallow. I was sure everyone in the room could hear me gulping.
The other bit of red ink is that it is a tad weak on topic. I realize the scene took place in the park but it could have taken place anywhere. You want the park to be the highlight of the story.

Now, red ink aside, I think you tackled a difficult subject. There can be huge differences from the Eastern cultures and the Western ones. You did a grand job of highlighting that. I also really enjoyed the kids crying out Mom! I could almost see them squirming in their seats while bits of red speckled their cheeks. I also like the heroine of the story. I'd love to see more stories of this spunky aunt. You did a nice job on this. Keep writing as I have no doubt that God has huge plans for your stories.
11/03/12
I enjoyed your story. You did a good job with the characters and I could picture them wondering what was going to happen next. Good job.

God bless!