The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 723 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
Nice job on characterizations. Touching. :)
02/19/09
Very nice writing, and I really like the rhythm and the pacing of your prose.
02/21/09
I liked how Darian was trying to learn about Indian culture. Also, the emotions of the characters came across in the writing.

Choosing Indian names for characters can be tricky. Zia is actually a Muslim male first name or last name so it does not fit your MC.

Also, traditionally in India, a man would not tell a woman he loved her until after marriage. (Although, things are changing in the 21st century.)

You wrote a touching story.
Author's Note

I thought a bit about this story, the characters, their lives, etc before writing and submitting this short for the weekly challenge. I feel there is something thing I’d like to explain that could not fit into 750 words or less.

Aadishree's late husband was supposed to be a very special person. Telling her that he loved her before the wedding was part of being special. It needed to be before the wedding in order for it to mean something. It could not be too far ahead of the wedding because of the traditional Indian families they belonged to. However, they had Western influences in their families. Instead of those Western influences of romantic love conflicting strongly with Indian culture, it was intertwined. Aadishree and her future husband sometimes met and talked when they were not supposed to according to the traditions of their families. It was a desire to get to know their future spouses and a growing and genuine affection that drove them. Since some people in their families had interactions with British officials and other westerners, they did have some who let them deviate slightly from the traditional norm as long as no harm was done.

Because of that Western influence. Aadishree's brother went to the US to finish his education and live. He and the family he started there came back to help Aadishree when tragedy struck. Zia's cousins were Aadishree's brother's children. Aadishree and the rest of her nuclear family felt comfortable with Zia's studying in the US because Aadishree's brother had a family there.