The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1187 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/16/07
This is absolutely breathtaking and captivating. Loved your descriptions and voice. I have a hard time believing a pastor would name a cat "Satan," but that's probably just me. I'm amazed you don't have more reads with a title like that. I can't imagine you'll be in intermediate for long if you keep writing like this.
12/16/07
You've got a great story line here and a great way of showing the church as the people and not the building. I kinda struggle, too, with the name of the cat but understand why you did it. It certainly would draw attention to the title! There were a few grammar issues, but other than that, your writing is very good. Good job! Christmas blessings! :)
12/17/07
I'm trying to type while being blinded by a flood of tears. Such a beautiful and wondrous story, and written so well! The Title lured me in, as it would any True Believer! - but so different than I imagined. Loved it! Absolutely the Cat's Meow! ***** 5 Star Special!
12/17/07
This is very good. The writing flows well as is easy to read. I wanted to know more of the story ... like, why was the cat named Satan? Good job with the topic.
Okay, I own two cats and I can almost guess why he named her that... anyway, it makes for a great title. Other than that, good story and really good writing!
12/17/07
Such a charming story!

I think I'd have liked less background material and more of the heart of the story--the fire, Satan (a great name for a cat!), and how exacty that led to the narrator's salvation.

But I loved this--great writing, great voice.
Title got my attention...the story held me! I love the cat being called Satan (1 Peter 5:8). The Pastor was aware of the devil prowling to devour the church! Great writing! Loved it.
12/19/07
Lots of good stuff here, story, details, and yes, I liked the cats' name, too. Kept wanting you to have started at a moment of tension, either the fire or the conflict over the nativity scene to grab the reader.
Great job. I love the ending, and how it ties back to the tears in the beginning, explaining that they are from joy. A wonderful salvation story, well told, and you nailed the topic to boot. Super! :) Cat
12/19/07
Great article, with a catchy title. By calling his cat Satan the pastor shows a rare sense of humor. I think 'I moved.' should be 'I was moved.'? I would also like to encourage you to use more dialog and less descriptions, this will add even further depth to your articles. Keep up the good work.
Catchy title. Interesting word play on the cat's name. I liked the ending how everyone came together to save what they could. A nice ending.
12/21/07
I had to look up Ann's reference to "get" the name of the cat! Love the title and the story. Enjoyed reading this.
This story was really good. You held my attention throughout. I loved your descriptions, very vivid. Well done.
12/30/07
I haven't read all the entries in this category but of the ones I have, this one should have won first, or at least placed. You caught everything, the people are the church and you mentioned the "church" building burned, good stuff, good writing. Keep up the good work.
04/24/08
If you notice - I've already been here and praised this entry to the high heavens and called it a Real Cat's Meow; However, just wanted to re-read after your sweet comment on my "multi-Uncles" entry. Thanks! (*.*)!