The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 768 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/29/07
This has a lot of urban authenticity--very young, fresh, and realistic.

You need to be careful, though, that the urban style doesn't cross the line into distracting grammar mistakes; be careful, for example, of switches in tense and run-on sentences.

Be aware, too, of your audience--if you're writing for Christian teens, your characters need to reflect Christian virtues. It's unclear from this why Khia would agree to see Reggie again.

This is worth expanding, and finding its readership.
04/29/07
The thinking behind this writing is that it's showing how teens feel in certain situations but is made for adults to understand. Khia agreed to see him again because of his promise to be a gentlemen hence the fact that he began to understand Khia's viewpoints and that she was sticking to them. It will be interesting to see how she continue to stick to them. Also I believe that that's the reason teens are being reached less and less by older CHristians because of their eagerness to preach and not to understand. This piece of writing actually teaches alot between the lines. thanks for reading
Straight-up, good. I enjoyed the story. Nice perspective.
04/30/07
I enjoyed the voice in this piece. I understand that the intent is to show someone remaining pure in Christian values from the perspective of a young adult, but please be careful of undertones in your piece. Even if the writer doesn't intend it to be understood in this way, the suggestion of the man pointing to condoms doesn't suggest that there will be purity in the relationship. Please clarify or change points like this when you expand it. Thanks so much for writing.
04/30/07
Reggie is the opposition in the article he is what most young boys are and what someone like khia would most likely find and meet if she goes to certain places and does certain things...If she went to a wild house party and met a chaste boy who didn't even know what a condom was...then what would that be saying? definitely not reality. The end leaves you guessing as to why Khia was charmed and should she be? this would make the reader see how dumb she was being and therefore how dumb they would be when they encounter the same situation. (helps them to step outside themself and look at the situation instead of being driven by feelings which most teens are)