The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 386 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
A pleasant life story, well told.

Another verse that might fit is: "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called for his purpose. It seems you fit in with your story.
11/23/18
Nicely done! Makes a point, supports with scripture and could lead a nonbeliever to seek out Christ.
11/23/18
Interesting look into the life of a Christian stylist. Inspiring.
What if everyone who posted in Challenge entries also commented on/critiqued at least three others? I'm shocked that so many post, and so few read and post a review for others. It seems only a few people have the courtesy to critique but would like the critiques on their own. I am new here, and originally was excited about this site. If you are one who DOES regularly read and comment on others work, then may the Lord bless you mightily and publish you quickly.
11/25/18
My sister had the same problem not fitting in when she worked at a salon, so she started her own salon her small town. She also would pray for those who were her customers.

Enjoyed your story. It is ok to look good, just not be obsessed with appearances. Keep up the good work.
11/25/18
VERY well written! It's so inspiring and God honoring to declare His good works and see them played out in someone's life through their testimony.
A great example of doing your work heartily for the Lord. Therefore I'd like to see this as a story, minus the exhortation. You are doing a good job of exhorting just by your inspiring examples.

Remember to always spell out a number when it begins a sentence. Adding the 1/2 to the beginning sentence seems awkward and unnecessary to me. Better without it.

But be encouraged. This is a worthwhile piece.
This is a great perspective. I was pulled in by the character right away. I'm not sure you need the first paragraph. Instead, you could sprinkle some of the back story throughout. I'd also suggest you name your character. I know at the end you say she is me, but even so, giving her a name might help the reader connect more (or use the first person). You do more telling than showing. Instead, I'd urge you to use dialog, body language, and thoughts to paint a picture. For example, I might do something like this: Chloe stood behind her client and gently massaged her scalp. As she squirted sweet-smelling conditioner in her hand, she began to pray for Mrs. Smith. She pictured God's love flowing through her hands as she worked on her patron's hair. <i> Dear Jesus, Thank you for Mrs. Smith. She's quite a sweet lady. She's blessed me by her cheery smile. I so enjoy chatting with her. She seems to enjoy hearing about what book I'm reading." Chloe glanced to her station's drawer where she kept her books and journa. She couldn't seem to quench her thirst to learn and to write. Smiling, she dried off Mrs. Smith's hair."How is your cat doing?" When she spotted the lady frowning, she continued her prayer. <i>Bless Fluffy, God. Her cat helps her feel needed. Please provide her with the answers she needs to take care of Fluffy. </i> (the brackets and i will indicate thoughts and show up as italics.)
I know I took it in a different direction, but wanted to show how you can paint a picture for the reader and let the reader see that "Chloe" has a relationship with God. Instead of telling about the struggle between making people beautiful, you can show what she is like.
The idea of praying for her clients is brilliant. It's great advice for anyone who works with the public. In my car, I'll often pray for the people in the next car. This is a great message. The idea of placing hands on people is powerful too. It makes me sad to realize that some receive almost no skin to skin contact. It's a wonderful blessing indeed.
I wasn't surprised at the she was me line. I felt like this came from the heart of someone special. I'm sure it's just my personal preference, but I winced a tiny bit at the line Can I get an amen? To me it felt like the MC was seeking praise. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, or maybe it was because it made me stop and think. Even when we think we are firmly on God's path, we are still human and we all have a bit of vanity--a bit of a desire for a pat on the back. Whenever an article makes me stop and think like that, the author has done a great job. I liked the Bible verses you chose,. They fit the story. I can feel your passion and desire to share God's love with others. I also liked your unique take on the topic. Good job.