The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 404 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
12/04/15
Excellent and timely reminder along with a powerful message.

Well done.

God bless~
12/04/15
That must have been an excellent lesson about cultural diversity and about breaking down barriers. I enjoyed this story
12/05/15
What a wonderful idea for teaching children how hard it is to be homeless, cold, and hungry.

I noticed that you switched from the past tense to the present tense several times throughout the story.
12/06/15
Your are a great youth leader. What a powerful lesson and so well taught. Well written. Thanks.
12/08/15
I enjoyed this--it was a good object lesson for the teens, and you wrote with good pacing and obvious heart.

A few tiny missteps--in the second paragraph, for example, you used 'and' for 'an' and you slipped into present tense (we gather...) when the rest of the piece is in past tense.

So your writing is quite good, but I think this could be kicked up a notch. Instead of narrating what you explained to the teens, write it as a conversation with them--telling what you said, and then relating their reactions along with what they said. Something like this:

"Hey guys--you know we have to wash all this stuff, right?"

Jake grumbled as he dumped three pounds of potatoes into the sink. "I don't see why. It's all going to cook out, anyway." He flicked a dishtowel at Melanie, who deftly dodged the attack.

"Well, it's like baptism..."


You get the idea, although I'm sure the actual conversation was different. Use dialogue techniques--realistic speech, action tags, that sort of thing. Readers are drawn to dialogue, and it paints an even more realistic picture of your object lesson.
This sounds like a great exercise for youth groups and I think most adults could benefit from an experience like this. Be careful to be consistent with your tenses. I noticed you slipped from past to present and back again. I think your story was creative, right on topic, and a great message.
12/11/15
John, What a great exercise for your teens to experience. I can't image living in the cold for a long time.