The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1072 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
06/22/06
Nice story. You had a wonderful plot line and a good ending. Now, take what you have and expand it a little. Get inside her head and feel what she's going through. That's the fun part of writing! I can already see your improvement from when you first started here. Great job!
I was really impressed with this writing - I started to feel that I knew her desperation and self-loathing. You have chosen a powerful and moving theme too - I only hope you are not writing from first-hand experience! I also liked the way you brought the story to a conclusion: for by concentrating on her prayer, you avoided the platitude of God stepping in a making everything all right. Good job!
06/22/06
Good; I see the girl's pain very clearly. Next time, don't be afraid to continue the story more; you got my attention through it, it would be even better if it were longer. :-)
06/24/06
You handle emotion well, sustaining it through the story; this is a great ability for a writer to have. Your opening line is a great ‘hook’, you got me in and I wanted to read on and know more. Now take the time to show me more. :-) yeggy
06/25/06
Well, what a relief to find out it was a dream(whew) . . . but then to find out that it had really happened :0. . . but then to find out she'd come to terms with what she'd done to herself through the grace of God!(whew) Can you say roller coaster ride! A powerful roller coaster ride! Excellent job!
Beautiful job! The suspense, the highly charged emotions, the pathos of her bondage to self-hate are skillfully developed.

One suggestion: To make this already-super piece even more real to the reader, I would sprinkle it with a few chillingly descriptive details. For instance, you wrote, "She picked up things and started throwing them..." Why not play this up for extra dramatic effect? Perhaps something like, "Her fingers curled around the empty wine goblet. It hit the wall and exploded into a sea of tiny shards. She snatched the romance novel on the bedtable and heard it smack against the mirror..Then the hairbrush, the lamp..."

With a little more time and TLC, this great piece could be an eyepopper! Have fun!
This is great. I agree, expand it with some good emotion and you'll have a masterpiece. Good job.
Great beginning. My heart raced throughout it. Keep up the great work.

Trina<><
06/26/06
Everyone has given you such good feedback that I don't know what else to tell you except I would have liked to see it go abit longer. It was vivid but I also thought where she threw 'things' should be more specific. You have such potential at being a very good writer!! Nice job!!
06/26/06
Wow, super intense. Her rage against her life magnified with every line. Good writing.
06/27/06
Loved the intense writing, really powerful. Be careful about exclamation marks, don't over do them and kill the narrative, one per 700 words is enough.