Previous Challenge Entry (Level 1 – Beginner)
Topic: Abundance (06/08/06)
- TITLE: 24 hours of abundance
By Kristi Wood
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
SEND A PRIVATE COMMENT
ADD TO MY FAVORITES
There was a gentle knocking on the door. I knew it must be important for them to wake me up since I had only been in bed about two hours. I had spent yet another sleepless night and morning because of the severe headache that had been raging for 5 days. They’re great kids…I had to correct myself; they were both beautiful young ladies.
“Yeah, what’s going on?” I asked. I was relived to notice the edge had relaxed off of my headache and it was back to a tolerable dull ache.
“Mom, the electricity just got turned off.”
Every piece of advice from my doctor and every medical website I had been to since my diagnosis flashed through my mind: avoid heat, avoid stress! “Lord, why am I still in charge of the bills?” I wondered. My memory is shot and my health is precarious at best and yet it’s up to me to remember and pay everything on time.
I dragged myself out of bed and called my husband to come and take us to the library where I could look up our account online and enjoy some much needed air conditioning. Normally I could drive us there in my nice cool van but I was still one day short of having the fan fixed since the part it needed wouldn’t arrive until tomorrow. So it was one more day of squeezing everyone into the hot little truck instead.
By the time the bill had been settled my head was back to throbbing in pain and the icy-burning numbness in my right leg has spread to my left. It would still take a few hours, maybe even a whole day, before the technician made it back to our house to turn the power back on though. So we all packed an overnight bag and sought refuge at Grandma’s house.
The next morning my husband left for work leaving the rest of us with Grandma for the day. When she got up a couple of hours later she was happy to loan us her van so we could run a few errands and check on the pets at the house. We were very happy to see the power on at the house and all the animals doing just fine. We made it up to the church for the teens’ game time and I was able to help the decorating team busy getting the place ready for the upcoming Vacation Bible School. When we got home again I was relieved to see the part for my van had arrived while we were at the church.
As I began to drift off for a nap I remembered to thank God for the provisions He had made for us. In just twenty-four hours he had given me an abundance of blessings:
• Two beautiful daughters who love me and help take care of me with my illness,
• A local library that offers free internet access, air conditioning, and lots of books to read at no charge,
• A husband who loves me and is willing to come home early to help us deal with unexpected situations,
• My husband’s terrific job with medical benefits that lets him come home early on days like this,
• A spare vehicle…even with the frequent repairs both tend to need we always seem to have one working at all times,
• Two wonderful parents just one suburb away that have been blessed with a nice home and big hearts,
• Another van for me to use with air conditioning on a record-setting hot day,
• An electric company who was reasonable to work with…they’re sending me a form for my doctor to fill out putting me on a special list because of my illness,
• An on-time delivery of a part for my van that my husband was able to find online for half-price,
• A nice refrigerator that kept cold enough that we didn’t lose any food through the power interruption,
• A wonderful church family,
• And the biggest blessing of all, a God who loves me and cares for me…enough to send His son to die for me.
Some people would see my illness and the stresses and heat in my life. I choose to see my savior and the grace and joy He provides for my family. Thank you, God!
The opinions expressed by authors may not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be right now. CLICK HERE
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.