The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1749 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
01/25/06
Good for Emily! If you expand this, be sure to add some conflict, which increases your readers' interest. It reads like the first chapter of a book...well done.
01/26/06
I agree with Jan's comment. This does sound like the beginning of a book! If you decide to continue this writing, I suggest you present some of the dfifficulties of getting into college and develop the inward conflict Emily has over going back to school.Empty nester moms returning to school is very common today, and if you live near a college it would be easy to do some live interviewing of older students. I hope you decide to continue the story!
01/30/06
Congrats on your win! The first is always the sweetest! Polished style and smooth delivery. You hit the theme dead on. I'd have liked to see a little more "showing" vs "telling".. but that's just my style preference. Loved the images of the sunrise. Perfect.
Nice story. It resonates with my own journey. At 63 I'm working on my Masters. It's never too late to follow a dream.
04/23/06
Hi there!

I'm just preparing all the winning entries for inclusion in the FaithWriters' Anthology for last quarter, and need to get a short bio note from you (written in the third person), to include with our "Meet Our Authors" section. If you are at all unsure what to write, it may be worth checking some of the bio notes at the end of the articles at FaithWriters' Magazine (http://www.faithwritersmagazine.com). Once you have your bio note ready, could you please send it through to me at [email protected]

Thanks for that. Look forward to hearing from you.

With love, Deb (Challenge Coordinator and Editor, FaithWriters' Magazine)
I love the imagery in this story. A sunrise is very difficult to describe and you did it beautifully. It really spoke to me.