The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 507 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
05/30/15
Thanks for you challenging thoughts on trusting and obeying. One suggestion: I would begin this piece with the sentence "Many years ago two old hymns were sung during worship services." and move on from there - skipping the first part about the board meeting. For me, the incident about the meeting seemed too separate from the rest of the article - this is just a suggestion. It might make a great lead for another story however.
05/30/15
I was interested in learning about why you were steamed with the church board. Did you want a different type of music infused into the service or did you enjoy the classic hymns that were the staples of your childhood? There may have been a totally different reason over a different theological reason. I liked your perspectives concerning "Trust and Obey"
You have a nice message here. My son is getting his Master's in Divinity and I edited one of his papers. It was about the importance of those old hymns. Many people remember and relate to them much better than a sermon or even reading the Bible, even though many old hymns are taken from Scripture. You make some great points.

Remember not to quote song lyrics because they could still be copyright protected. Just because they are old, it doesn't automatically make them public domain. Also, Deb stressed in the topic and on the message boards not to focus on the song, but the words, trust and obey.

You don't need lines like this: Why am I telling you these things that seem to have no comparison to trusting and obeying. Nothing is further from the truth.
Instead just jump right in with your story. By questioning yourself, the reader has to question you also.

I think the story at the end was a great message. Actually, I think you could have expanded on it, included dialog, and set the scene, and it would have been great all on its own and still would have been on topic. It helps the reader understand you and therefore, understand your lovely message even more.

Keep writing, and I'd also encourage you to read and comment on every story in this level and a few in the others as well, I can tell you have a huge heart and a desire to follow God's calling. I believe you have many good surprises waiting for you. Thanks for sharing,