The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 570 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
04/18/14
At first I wasn't going to read this story because of the lack of paragraphs but glad I did anyway. This was a good take on the topic and I like your references to "the beast." Be sure and break up your story into paragraphs so it will be easier for your readers to follow. Keep writing!
04/19/14
Interesting and clever use of topic. I was pulled in and you had me all the way enjoying it from the beginning to end.

Nicely done.

God bless~
04/19/14
Great story. It's clear you have a storytelling talent. I encourage you to check out Jan's Writing Basics and Ann's Grammar Basics on the forums. I think once you got the foundational stuff taken care of, like punctuation, your stories will gain a lot more power.
04/20/14
This is a very strong piece. The paragraph and grammar stuff has already been touched on, so I won't waste my time re-hashing those points, except to reaffirm what the others have said - it's important to the flow of your story.

But - what a great story you have. Your dialogue is good. Jessy talks realistically and you are excellent at stirring up emotion. Her fear was palpable, as was her relief later. That's stuff you can't teach, so definitely keep writing - you've got talent for sure.
A book reading club meets here, once a week. (This is our addiction.)

I liked your addiction.

Use more paragraph separations in your writing. (Unless this was made to be this way.)

This was just a very interesting way of connecting google to an addiction.

04/20/14
Awesome writing! This is a powerful story. I love how you turned it around by the end--You showed what the moment of re-birth looks like. LOVE IT!

These lines are pretty nifty:
"a many-headed beast that tried to pierce through her shield of shame."
"She closed her eyes while she inhaled the perfume and was permeated by a Presence: the Solution to every problem, the Answer to every question."

Just some tips: find someone to help you proofread--preview your entry before submitting it, and you can put in paragraph breaks--finally: Keep writing!
I can only echo the great comments here. You have an incredibly descriptive imagination and I look forward to your coming entries. You snagged my heart with:
"Lowering her gaze again, she noticed that one of the brown floor tiles was broken and grey dust had crept into the cracks, forming a crooked finger that pointed in her direction."

Breathtaking. I have much to learn from you methinks . . .
04/21/14
Wow, an addiction to Google! I wasn't even thinking that that's a possible addiction. I like the analogy of the "12-headed beast."

I would suggest that when you copy your work over into the challenge, double check to ensure that there is space in between each paragraph.

Great use of the topic. Keep writing.
04/22/14
I absolutely love how you used the "beast" term to refer to the group of people the Main Character was facing. Other phrasing also reveals your ability to add depth to the story... I particularly like, "grey dust had crept into the cracks, forming a crooked finger that pointed in her direction."

As others have commented, paragraphs would have made this much easier to read. But I am so glad I got through it, as it has so many great qualities from which I can learn. Keep writing!
Congratulations on ranking 8th in your level. The highest rankings can be found on the message boards.
04/27/14
Thank you all for the very encouraging comments!

And... next time I'll do better than submitting an article without checking it properly (because I tried to squeeze it in between many other activities)!