Previous Challenge Entry (Level 1 – Beginner)
Topic: Empty Nester/Retirement (from work) (09/10/09)
- TITLE: Make the Evening of Life Happier
By ThresiaPaulose varghese
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
SEND A PRIVATE COMMENT
ADD TO MY FAVORITES
I hope you might have listened to the song by Jim Reeves that tells about becoming old. It says about a land where one never grows old. Wherever this land may be, it certainly may not be on this planet. The implication of this song is that growing older is a dreadful thing of nature- something we want to avoid if possible. Yet growing old is a must if we continue to live on this earth.
Physically one gets weaker as he gets old. The become unable to attend any job and earn some livelihood. They have to depend upon others for their survival. At this age, physical disabilities of various kinds easily creep in and disturb the normal life.
Is Modern Life Throwing out the Elders?
As the life is growing faster e are losing many values of life. I cannot say much about the condition of the aged in other countries. But in India it is growing worse day by day. Families are scattered and elders are being thrown out in streets. No more the younger generation want their elders to be with them. They have become unnecessary burden. The elders neither have social security nor they are cared by the societies. There is no place for the elders in the modern nucleus families which are more concerned about their own problems. Even in well-to-do families in India, we can see many of the elders sent to old-age homes. They think hat it is easier to give some money and send their parents to such old age homes than taking the risk of maintaining them. Hence the number of old age homes and homes for the destitute is increasing everyday.
A Few Suggestions to Make the Old Age
1) Awareness programs should be conducted to the aging people to prepare them to accept the realities of getting old. Means should be found to meet the expenses of old people.
2 Governments and social organizations should come forward to consider the needs of the elders. They can utilize the wealth of experience that old age possesses. They can be brought together to send their time usefully.
3) Old age succumbs to sicknesses easily. Hence they should be educated to keep themselves busy by doing some easy exercises like waking. Old age forums and clubs can make them busy and useful to the society.
4) Old age has much TIME that can be spent usefully. Those who didn’t find time for reading when they were young can spend much time in reading and other easy hobbies. Greatest literary works were produced in old age only.
5) The main aspect of old age concerns with spiritual life. One may be a crabby, grumpy, grumbling old person always complaining and never satisfied whatever his physical, mental or spiritual situation is. He may spend the dawn years of his life in payer and meditation. Such a person can radiate peace and joy and can even offer consolation and guidance to others.
Enjoy the Evening of Life
Old age is not for losing confidence and mourning over the inevitable realities. It is to be planned and enjoyed for the better existence of the self and others.
The opinions expressed by authors may not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be right now. CLICK HERE
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.