Previous Challenge Entry (Level 1 – Beginner)
Topic: Good and Bad (05/07/09)
- TITLE: It was only good; but how did it become bad
By ThresiaPaulose varghese
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
SEND A PRIVATE COMMENT
ADD TO MY FAVORITES
God was very much satisfied with His creations. He found that all His creations were good.
God created humankind in His own image. “Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.” (Gen 1:26)
In the Beginning Everything Was Good
“God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good.” (Gen 1: 31) Everything was good, including humans. Everything was joyful. There was no sign of any sorrow. There was no worry in ‘their life, what they will eat or what they will drink or about their body, what they will wear’. They ‘looked at the birds of the air which neither sowed nor reaped nor gathered into barns’.
Those early humans enjoyed life talking and walking with God ‘in the evening breeze’. They too found that everything was good. They didn’t bother about the warning God gave them, “You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die.”(Gen 2:17)They had been extremely happy in that earthly paradise of Eden. They enjoyed and shared the unselfish love of God.
Then how came the bad element?
Somehow the tempter Satan could enter into their lives and tempted them kindling their selfishness. Selfishness began the troubles. ‘So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate.’ Then their eyes were opened. Selfishness brought the BAD element into the human life!
Selfishness the Seed of Bad Elements
Selfishness that entered into humanity has taken different forms called deadly sins. We can see the seven forms of selfishness that lead to everything bad. They are:
1)Pride: When the tempter said, ‘You will be as powerful as God’ the dream of pride took shape into an action. “I want to outbreak you and surpass you in every way”.
2) Greed: Possessiveness of selfishness opened its greedy mouth. “I want more, more of everything and don’t try to stop me”. It was the cry of greed.
3) Envy: Selfishness lost the goodness of love completely saying, “I want what you have.”
4) Lust: All the senses became uncontrollably hungry. Physical conditions began to burn with thirst. Flesh shouted, “I want more sex.” God’s provision for procreation was misused as recreation.
5) Anger: Psychological balance also was being lost. Selfishness asserted, “I want my own way.”
6) Gluttony: God’s provision for body growth was misused. Eating to live became living to eat saying, “I want more to eat, more to drink, more to shoot up.”
7) Sloth: Life became slow without normal activities endangering life of love. Selfishness said, “I want to be left alone; don’t bother me.”
The Never-ending War Between Good and Bad
Selfishness and Love are still in war. Good and bad elements are struggling to devour each other. Chaos are sorrow are created through these wars. But God loves us so much that He has sent His own Son for our Salvation. He has given us the new command for our survival. Walking through the path Christ has shown us, the path of love and unselfishness, we can gain victory in our struggle between good and bad.
The opinions expressed by authors may not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be right now. CLICK HERE
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.