The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1250 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/16/07
Quilts are so comforting which is why your title drew me in.

I was taught to reserve bold and italics for emphasis. With the exception for dialog or thoughts where italics were used, the entire article was in bold. The bold would have had greater impact if used sparingly.

A suggestion for improvement is to reserve bold and italics for special purposes, not for regular text use.
Loved the quilt idea. A great story. It just left me wondering of what each quilt piece consisted. Were they pictures or special pieces of fabric stitched in special patterns? I would have liked a more vivid description of the quilt itself. But still a very good story.
02/18/07
I love the way you depicted the "baby talk"--I could just hear it! So precious.

The unusual use of bold and italics was a little bit distracting; consider a more conventional formatting for future pieces--and I hope there will be many!
02/21/07
Very nice story. I liked how you made the present and past into a patchwork, just like the quilt in your story. As a quilter, I can appreciate how precious that quilt must be. Nice job
05/26/07
Wonderful story depicting the real pain many around us go through. You bring in beautifully the lift that faith brings as we face difficulties in life. God bless.