Sabbath 1/19/19 Alfred Station Seventh Day Baptist Pastor Ken sermon “Gifts of the Spirit” Ephesians 4:11-14
Elders of the church are to teach the counsel of God. They are to teach the Word of God to people. A Pastor is to teach/preach the scriptures. The scripture this morning is special to me. We are looking at verse 11 but first remember Jesus gave Gifts of the Spirit. So the list in verse 11 are not offices or positions but are the Gifts. These Gifts are not gender specific but Jesus gave them to all people, male and female.
In Romans 12:6 and here in this scripture, the gifts come in categories of Sign Gifts, Service Gifts and Speaking Gifts. Verse 11 is talking about Speaking Gifts.
1) Apostle: This means “sent one”. Every church should have “sent ones; those who are sent out to spread the Gospel. They are male and female because it’s a Gift and not an office in the church.
2) Prophet: They are speaking the Word, saying “the Lord said this or that”. They are to say “here is a word from the Lord” and it turns out to happen as they said.
3) Evangelist: Not everybody is an evangelist. They get people to sign on the dotted line that they accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. We all have different gifts. The evangelist has the gift to share Jesus and then people accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
4) Pastor: Pastoring means shepherding, making the sheep follow.
5) Teacher: This is teaching the Word of God.
Not all gifts work the same way for everybody. Their gifts may look different from yours because they are honed by the circumstances that they are in. Example: some school teachers can only teach small children. Some teachers are gifted to teach adults or junior high students. Not all circumstances lead us to the same thing.
****** The Purpose of Speaking Gifts *******
1) To equip the Saints.
2) To build up the congregation to be like Jesus. We, the church, are going to grow up to be like Jesus. We will no longer be children in Christ, still drinking milk. We won’t use the pacifier any more. No more pacifier!!
The purpose of Speaking Gifts is to protect us from the lies of idolatry and other false teachings that do NOT follow God the Father and Jesus Christ the Son. When the wolf comes knocking at our door, there is protection and the lambs do NOT get eaten. We are called to use our gifts until we ALL come to the measure of Christ Jesus!