Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:24 pm

Seriously, if you want to know how expensive it is out here, go to the Zillow website, in the search field enter Santa Ana, CA, and select rentals. I just did for my ZIP code, and the cheapest was $1100 for 140 sq.ft. room in a house . And then look at the price/rent history. Ridiculous how fast rents are rising! They tried to get a rent control initiative on the ballot last year, but it failed, and one guess which industry was responsible.

cori67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cori67 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Which is why I asked the question about moving. If you cannot afford to live there, move somewhere you can afford. You might love California, but it is not loving you back!

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Sorry, but California is my home. I've lived in a few other states, and felt like a fish out of water. I may not have been born here--Army brat--but this is the only place I feel at home. Yes, some people are leaving, but they came from elsewhere before. I feel that this gouging on rents and home prices cannot last forever; where there is a boom, there will always be a bust. It's just a matter of time. God will provide, His timing is perfect, there is nothing He cannot do.

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:22 pm

So, Saturday I went to NewSong church in Santa Ana for what they call the King's Table. It was wonderful, amazing, and exquistite (sp?). First, we had hors d'ouerves (oh, help! with spelling!)--bacon tomato soup in tiny, cylindrical hard plastic cups whose top was cut on a slant, with tiny little spoons to eat it with; baked scallops with ginger carrot sauce and mushrooms (where's a drool smilie when you need one?), and avocado toast.
Conversation and prayer, then dinner, music, and the unveiling of a portrait of a member of the homeless community. More prayer, then we went home. The dinner menu was thus: First course--SPAM salad, with spinach, fire roasted grapes, fennel, bread crumbs, red wine vinaigrette. Second course--Herb buttermilk fried chicken, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, collard greens, and jalapeno cornbread madeleines, Dessert 1--Taro blueberry pie, raspberries, strawberry shortcake ice cream. Dessert 2--Salted chocolate chip cookie.
Somehow, I couldn't find the mashed potatoes; I did see something resembling cauliflower, though. Maybe that was it? I didn't much care for the collard greens; it was like eating ivy. The raspberries were pureed into a sauce, the shortcake in the ice cream was crunchy, but the pie was light and smooth. The cookie, served warm, was heavenly. It was prepared by Toast Kitchen and Bakery. The young chefs were brought out, and we had the chance to thank them with much applause.
New Song does this on the last Saturday of the month. And it's totally free. They do this to bless the homeless community. I got there on the bus from the library; took the shuttle bus back to the shelter.

Unfortunately, the next morning, my lower GI tract let its displeasure be known from my eating food normally only consumed by the rich. I was stuck for 45 minutes. I'm fine now. Might go next month, though.

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:55 pm

It sounds really nice. That's awesome they do that. If you go next month, maybe hold back on some of richer stuff and drink gobs and gobs of water. Usually after a big meal, it's normal to feel bloated, but if you walk around, along drinking water, that might make it easier.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:33 pm

Well, I didn't feel bloated, but did feel full. But they told me the same thing when I was at the research center, when I was having issues with all the salad I was eating; had two "blowouts". Tried to get Imodium, but the doctor said no, just drink water. Well, we did get quite a bit of water to drink; I had my fair share. But those scallops! Haven't had them in decades, and I love them! Hard not to be a pig, but the portions were decent, so we wouldn't fill up on "orr durrs" (phonetic spelling) before dinner.

This reminds me of a scene in the book "The Lives and Times of Archy and Mehitabel"; Archy and Mehitabel--a cockroach and a cat, respectively--are discussing food, and Mehitabel tells Archy about attending a party in someone's house. She refers to the pre-meal appetizers as "chef doovers"; Archy corrects her, saying you mean hors d'oeuvers . She comes back with what I mean is grub.

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 pm

:brrr Lows have run the gamut from upper 30s to low 50s, and highs are in the mid-to-upper 50s to low 60s, with the occasional spike into the upper 60s. When you add rain and wind, it really cuts through you. Despite a sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees, and several blankets inside--outside they'd just fall off--it feels like the inside of a refrigerator at night and early morning. I've had to sleep with my heavy coat on, and sometimes with a knit cap on my head plus a scarf to bed. I can hardly wait until it warms up enough so I don't need to wear a coat or jacket to bed, or during the day, when I can sleep on top of my blankets and sleeping bag instead of in them.

So far we've had nearly a foot of rain, with at least 10' or more of snow in the mountains. I don't understand how people say we don't have reservoirs; look at a map, and there's quite a few. But I'm pretty sure the drought is almost over. February is our wettest month, and it's living up to the hype.

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Last week, we had a house meeting at the shelter. Ms. Doris, who runs the place, says that where we live is supposed to close in October, but the new place--a three story facility--won't be ready by that time. She is working with a judge to make sure we don't end up out on the street. She had to sue the city to get us this bus terminal, which is not meant for human habitation, and she is doing a lot to help us. When people get housing, some landlords are requesting background checks, just because the prospective tenant is homeless. A mere jaywalking ticket can keep someone from getting a place. Ms. Doris challenges them, ensuring everyone can get housing. Unfortunately, some people have waited so long to get housing--2 1/2 years-- that shortly after they get a place, they die. I don't know if it's because they're old, or had an illness made worse by being homeless, but it breaks Ms. Doris' heart. She actually started to cry when she said that of 8 people from our shelter who died in the past year, at least 3 died shortly after getting their new apartments.

In happier news, I have just learned that I'm going to be a great aunt for the third time--my grandniece Shelby and her brother Mikey will be having a baby brother in June. Yippee! Another little one to spoil! :D

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Last month I caught a minor cold, and as these things tend to do, it turned into a sinus infection. After being made to feel like a total pariah at work and home--especially by one of my neighbors who has nothing better to do than tell everybody I'm the reason why everyone's getting sick, despite abundant evidence throughout the shelter that that isn't true--the place sounds like a TB ward-- I finally went to the research center--they wanted me to come in anyway to see if I qualify for another study--and got checked out, plus three prescriptions. So I've been improving.

Last night, a week after they sprayed the place for bedbugs, I came home to find my bed and belongings missing. Upon panicked inquiry, one of my nicer neighbors said they found bedbugs and had to bag everything for three days. I can't access any of my stuff. Luckily, I have all my meds with me, but still I'd appreciate getting a few things, like my puzzle book and pencil sharpener, my eyeglass case, bag of "dignity panties" (I ended up buying a bag of them this morning--I was on my last one), my shoes and socks, plus my eyeshade, and alarm clock--I have to go to work tomorrow. My watch has an alarm on it, but it's set to 6 am, and I get up at 5 am to go to work. It's too much trouble to reset my alarm on my watch.
The bedbugs didn't even originate with my stuff--one of my neighbors "shared" her heavy infestation, and I was caught in migration. Last year I managed to get some stuff out, but this year, no, it would defeat the purpose. So I can't get at my stuff for 3 days. I wish they would've notified me so I could've gotten some of my important stuff out. But that's asking too much.

deejay

Post by deejay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:20 pm

The other day, I noticed my cot had been replaced with a brand-new one. Yesterday, I saw my spot, where I'd lived for 2 years, had been taken by someone else. I asked the night staff to do something about it, and they just passed the buck. This morning I asked the day shift, and they said they would check into it and try to get me my old spot back. Today I'm supposed to get my belongings back from quarantine. I hate drama, I really do. So I'm praying that when I get home tonight, everything will be resolved. Because I hate the new spot I've been in for the last 3 days. It's too cold, too close to the men's area--and I thought women could be noisy at night!--and the blankets they loaned me stink and have dog hair on them. Gross. I want my blankets and sleeping bag, I want my stuff, and I want my spot. I don't follow that feng shui garbage, but I prefer the way I lie in my original spot better than the temporary one.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:59 am

So Deejay, how is the job hunt going? Did you send out your resume that Allison helped you with? I'd think with the place you're staying at now due to close down in a few months, not to mention the conditions, you'd be frantic to get another job, knocking at every fast food place, Starbucks, and stores that you could find.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:00 pm

Well, let me put it this way--after following Jesus for 47 years, I've learned that when He closes a door, it means I am not to go there. He has had to push me through a few doors He's opened for me--both college degrees--but I believe He wants me to trust Him for my needs, especially housing. There is a facility being readied for us, but Ms. Doris says it won't be ready by October. So she has been pushing and searching for a temporary place for us until it is ready, because she doesn't want us on the street. I sent off for a copy of my birth certificate nearly 3 weeks ago, paying extra for two-day delivery, and I have yet to receive it. I also have had a hard time getting a paper from Pastor confirming that I work at church. This is to get me into a housing program.

My take on this is that God will perform a miracle in providing housing; He just wants me to learn to trust Him; admittedly, this the weak point of my faith. And provide finances. I'm up for another study soon.

Meanwhile, I am battling stubborn, unprofessional people at the shelter who stole my spot and put me in a part of the women's area known as the Wind Tunnel. I just got over a sinus infection; I don't need pneumonia. Tried to talk to the woman who does the rearranging of sleeping spots, and she said she couldn't move me back to my spot. They sure didn't have any problem moving me! It's like if you have an apartment that's nice, conveniently located, and all-around desirable, and after you've lived there awhile, the manager says "Sorry, but you need to move to a motel for a few days because we have to fumigate." and you say no problem. After a few days, you go back to your apartment, and you find someone else living in it. How would you feel, if that happened to you? I'm angry! I told her that it was stupid and unfair, and of course nobody knows when Ms. Doris comes in (yeah right), so I couldn't talk to her before I left. I am not giving up on this--this is the work of the devil, and the woman who refused to let me have my space back has a well-earned reputation of not being very nice. She proved it in me encounter with her.

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:11 pm

The guy who helped me look for my stuff, albeit unsuccessfully, woke me from a nap the other night, saying he found my stuff. It was outside the storage area, where staff members park their cars. That means some time soon my stuff will be going through the toaster. He allowed me to get some things , like my shoes :thumbs and some other important to me stuff.

Keep praying I get my spot back. You know, if they had simply gotten our cooperation and kept us in the loop, this drama would've been unnecessary. But they instead just sweep through like a pack of barbarians.

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Despite numerous pleadings, there has been no resolution to my getting my spot back. I suspect one of my neighbors may be involved. They offered me a spot along the fence, in full sunlight. Lovely--imagine being able to trade in cold and wind, plus God knows what kind of **** is being blown into my eyes and lungs, for a spot where I would experience sunburn, overheating, skin cancer and, if I'm really lucky, sunlight-induced cataracts! *sarcasm*
I've lived here 2 years, I know how hot that fence line can get in summer. Everybody was complaining about it. I've discovered that some other women were moved for the "bedbug" issue, BUT THEY GOT TO GO BACK TO THEIR SPOTS. I have not been allowed to get my spot back, and when I tried to reason with the person in charge, they interrupted me and talked down to me. No respect. If these people on staff were really homeless at one time, as they claim, they would have empathy and understanding.
They put up signs saying if you have a comment, complaint or suggestion, to fill out a form. Yeah, right, like I'm gonna fall for that! Everybody knows that here, if you make a complaint, you get kicked out. They also have a number to text suggestions, comments, and concerns; that might come in handy. But again, I'm not touching it. Don't know if they would accept texts from non-residents.

So, please storm Heaven on my behalf. I don't know why I'm being singled out for this. Last night, a strong wind blew, and the panel near my bed was pushed by the wind against the foot of my bed. It banged against it several times during the night. Supposed to be a sandbag there, but this morning I looked to see where the sandbag had gone, and it was against a trash can! Are they serious? The other night I was told that my bed would be moved into numerical order--though that would leave barely an inch on either side; good luck getting into and out of bed that way--but it wasn't done last night. I have zero tolerance for liars.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Maybe I'm calloused. I've never been homeless, but have had some significant life issues. I can't help but wonder if part of your problem is your attitude. I don't mean this in a mean way, but am trying to be helpful. I know I personally feel irritated when people come across as entitled. You do come across that way sometimes, that your needs and concerns are greater than anyone else's. I know it's easy for me to say, be grateful that you haven't had to spend the last two years in that horrible spot. I get it feels unfair, and I'd be upset too, but perhaps if you asked nicely, what can I do to get my spot back, you might find someone willing to help you. I truly believe God has plans for you, but I also think he may want you to look out after others. You can use your faith, experience, and know-how to bring glory to his name. I have some severe health issues and it's easy to get in a funk where I think I don't deserve this lot in life. I've had bouts where I've screamed and cried it's not fair. It really does suck to live like this, but I've also found ways to use my situation to bring glory to God's name. I've had roommates in the hospital who desperately needed me to be there for them. Afterwards, I praised God for giving me that opportunity. I look at my kids and I want to say it's not fair that they had to see what they have experienced while growing up, but now I'm so blessed to see them turn into the amazing people they are. Man, they do so much good for kids who suffer way more than they ever experienced, yet because of their experiences they are able to help these kids. It makes those horrible days worth it because they are following God's calling. It's easy to say praise God, or I believe God has a plan for me, but that's not what God asks of us. He wants us to act. He tells us clearly in Matthew 21:28-32 (and in many other places). I wish I could help you see the potential you have Deejay. Instead of righteous indignation, use the gifts God has blessed you with. I will storm heaven on your behalf, and have been the entire 9 years I've been here. It won't be in the way you might want, but the way I feel God is calling me to do. You have the ability to do so much. If you put a tiny bit of the energy it takes to be angry into helping others, you would be so blessed. By helping others, it frees something in ourselves. Instead of having zero tolerance for others, have zero tolerance for something in yourself. You are the only person you can change. It's not easy, but the way you will be blessed could be amazing. Maybe God had your spot moved because someone in the new spot needs something only you can give. I know I've seen that in my hospitalizations. God used me in ways I never expected. Look at this horrible situation through new eyes, and in doing so, you will find out God believes in you. That's such a mind-blowing statement. The best God ever has faith in you! Man that's pretty cool even though the situation bites.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to “The Water Cooler”