Challenge Breaks

Discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions and find a Challenge buddy.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, itsjoanne, RedBaron

Ms. Barbie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Challenge Breaks

Post by Ms. Barbie » Thu May 09, 2019 11:40 am

After a six year absence, I returned in January to FaithWriters and the weekly challenge. I was so thrilled when my very first entry earned a Highly Commended. I kept getting placements and moved up from Beginner to Advanced. And then along came the Challenge breaks. And then they would come back, and I was having so much fun in my writing. And then we would have more absences from writing. It's disheartening to me to have so many breaks! I understand the past need for so many breaks, but with less people entering,would it be possible to have less interruptions? I'm really enjoying the challenges, and am one EC away from Master level. Thank you for all you do for us, and I was just hoping my input would be noticed.

What do others feel about so many challenge breaks?
Barb Culler

RedBaron

Re: Challenge Breaks

Post by RedBaron » Thu May 09, 2019 11:59 am

I got back into the Challenge again recently after a similarly long break. I can kind of understand more breaks, but it is really easy to get out of the habit when there are so many breaks. But then, I also took a personal break recently since I was recovering from surgery. I meant to enter this past topic, but the idea didn't fully gel.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

briojoy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by briojoy » Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm

This relates to a discussion I was a part of yesterday. My Bible Study that meets at the church was wanting to take a break for the summer. I expressed my opinion. Once there is a break, it’s hard to get up and running again. Some agreed, so the study will continue through the summer ... at my house. 😏 I write every week, with or without the Challenge. But for those who don’t have that outlet, I believe the break changes something in their thought process. Makes it difficult to think “writing” again. Not sure why there are breaks.

BeachGrandma
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by BeachGrandma » Thu May 09, 2019 1:52 pm

After a health-related absence, I've been active in the Challenge for several months now and have been recruiting other former members of FaithWriters to rejoin us. I've been pleased that several have responded and enter regularly now. But they find that as soon as they get back in the swing of things, look forward to the winners' list each week, and comment on other' Challenge entries, then there's a break and the momentum is interrupted. Continuity is essential for something creative like writing. We look forward to each Thursday when a new topic is announced so we can begin all over again. Many of us are disabled, some are confined to their homes, so the Challenge is one of the best ways to keep our minds working, stir up our creative juices, and help keep us in the loop. I can't begin to say how much this writing exercise brightens my days and gives me a reason to wake up in the morning. I'm hoping there will be fewer Challenge breaks beginning as soon as possible. Many thanks. Mariane :typing2

itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks for your feedback, ladies! Know you have been heard. I need to ponder this (and remember why the decision was made in the first place). I can pretty much guarantee there won't be a change this quarter, but know this is officially "on my radar."

LOVE your dedication to the challenge! Thanks!!
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Fri May 10, 2019 10:12 am

Thank you Joanne! And for the record, you are doing an amazing job! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
Barb Culler

BeachGrandma
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by BeachGrandma » Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 am

You are indeed doing a great job, Joanne. You've been so helpful to me when I needed assistance in the Challenge
and were always patient, understanding and eager to assist, just as Deb always was. We recognize this is a labor of
love for you and the position won't make you a rich woman but you are rich in grace in your ministry here and God
will reward you amply, not only for what you do but for the spirit in which you do it. You are very loved. Mariane

Karlene
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Karlene » Fri May 10, 2019 11:41 am

itsjoanne wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am
Thanks for your feedback, ladies! Know you have been heard. I need to ponder this (and remember why the decision was made in the first place). I can pretty much guarantee there won't be a change this quarter, but know this is officially "on my radar."

LOVE your dedication to the challenge! Thanks!!
Jo, you are doing a terrific job leading. Even with all that you have going on this spring. <3

I know you've heard others' and I do echo their sentiments; however, I doubt you need me to say anything right now. I have been challenged to be a challengeer again. With or without breaks, I will rise to it. *hugs*
Penning words for the heart and soul,
Karls

Verna
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Verna » Fri May 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks from me, too, Jo. You know how I appreciate you! Hugs!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands » Fri May 10, 2019 4:02 pm

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter. :D Although like many, I am no longer an active "Challenger," I remember the days when I was a weekly participant. Quite honestly, I welcomed the break. Thursday deadlines consumed my every waking hour, so it was a relief to have a time when I could focus on something other than that article waiting to be completed and submitted. I never had a problem joining up with the Muse for another round of articles. In fact, it gave me an opportunity to write devotionals that were well received by those who read them. So, consider writing in other areas if you don't want to lose the Muse.

I could be wrong, but I also think the breaks were more because of Deb's heavy load than anything else. So consider it carefully, Joanne. Don't want you burning out on us. You ARE doing a fantastic job!! :loveyou

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60
https://grammyspen.com
Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands » Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm

...In fact, does anybody remember the break-time, non-Challenge, mini-challenge opportunities? (My hand is raised. :) )

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60
https://grammyspen.com
Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 pm

So I know some of you are bummed about the challenge break, so I thought I'd offer a mini-challenge. The TV show, Jeopardy, is on in the background, so write a jeopardy topic story (challenge rules apply) and post it under general submissions and then leave a link for it here. Anyone game? (Get it, teehee game-Jeopardy) 😂 To clarify, the article doesn't have to be about the game show, but the word. I just thought of that word because show was on in the background! I promise to read and comment on any links left here!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:05 am

Hi, guys :)

More specific details later (once this quarter comes to a close), but we ARE changing the "challenge break schedule" for next quarter. We are going to have NINE topics a quarter, with ONE one-week break between weeks 5 and 6. I hope that will help you guys with "staying in the groove" (and help me maintain what sanity God has kept with me ;) ). Assuming it goes well, this will be the schedule from now on.

Questions? Put them in this week's challenge entry (just kidding :D) - ask here, or wait a week or two until I put a post up about it.
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:54 pm

That sounds like a great compromise. Your hard work is so appreciated!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Thank you! Now that I'm playing with the "big kids," I need the work to study and learn from the best! Thank you. :party
Barb Culler

Return to “Writing Challenge - General Discussion”