Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Gee, the last time I was on a ship (1966), the biggest amenity was the movie theater. I wanted to go with my brother Steve and sister Susan--then 14 and 13, respectively; I was 9--to see the James Bond movie "Goldfinger". But when we arrived at the theater, the sign outside said children age 12 and up only could be admitted. I cried all the way back to our cabin. The other amenity was the children's playroom, overseen by a proper British nanny (it was a British registered ship, after all). There was also some onboard entertainment, like the Bridge Meet, the ceremony of crossing the International Date Line, and a children's costume contest--no I didn't win anything. Out of all the other kids dressed as hula girls, I had the mortifying experience of having the green crepe paper under skirt Mom and Susan made for me to wear under my grass skirt so my panties wouldn't show break--and I have the picture of that!

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Well, I've just finished my Christmas shopping --Thank God for Amazon! I just send gifts to my grandniece and grandnephew. Heard from my niece thanking me for my grandnephew's birthday gift--he and his big sister love it! It's a Fisher Price Dance and Groove Rockit toy; it plays music, moves, and is otherwise educational. Yes, my grandnephew is getting another educational toy for Christmas, my grandniece is getting another Pete the Cat book for Christmas, and a doll for her birthday. I keep this up, and I'll have the smartest grands anywhere! Next is sending ecards--and getting myself a new backpack.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:59 pm

Educational gifts can be fun. I like books for kids anyway and Pete is a good book too. One of my favorite is Piggy and Elephant (or maybe it's the other way) We're in a Book! It's hysterical. The two MCs discover there in a book. Been a bit since I read it.

Actually not many ships have movie theaters any move. They have the screens by the pool for Dive-in movies at night, but not seats like in a theater.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Yeah, when I see the amenities on modern cruise ships, the Himalaya--which took us to Australia; scrapped 1974--and the Oronsay--brought us back to America, scrapped 1975--look like old tubs.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:53 am

I'm excited, but also nervous. When I cruised in 1983 with parents and sister I was so seasick. I didn't think I'd ever agree to go again. But when I married Chris, I promised him I'd try. It was so wonderful. We had a couple of rocky nights, (apparently I was screaming the ship is sinking we'll all gonna die) and Chris tried to comfort me and I grabbed his arms and held on. He had blood dripping off his arms from that. I felt queasy, but never threw up. I'm hoping this time will be good too.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Try ginger for the queasiness.

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:46 am

Definitely have ginger on list along with prescription patch (which was expensive--65 for 3 patches!l), another prescription--Meclazine, which is a stronger version of Dramamine or Bonine (can't remember, but I have it for my vertigo too) and the acupressure bands.! Of course I had all of that last year and still supposedly scratched my husband.(I've no recollection of dream or him waking me so even though he still has scars, he could've gotten them anywhere! :lol:
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 pm

The libraries closed early on Christmas Eve, so after Christmas I went to church to use the wifi. I was about to send y'all a post about how I spent my Christmas, and was just about to click send when I lost the connection. I've been told that AT&T wants $40,000 to tear up our parking lot and fix an old connection on the pole.

As of the 2nd, I'm living at the Orange County Research Center for a study. I leave the 13th. I have the place to myself, apart from staff. Though there were a few guys earlier, and there will be a few more people coming for a few days later this week. But I'm enjoying peace and quiet, great food, TV that doesn't spazz out, wifi, and sleeping in a real bed. Had to bring a ton of my stuff with me--mainly toiletries I got for Christmas--thinking there would be others I could share them with. I'll take a shower later and use some of them. Aaah, this is the life! :wink:

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Over the past week, we've had 6" of rain, and despite my efforts to protect the stuff I have in my bin--the storage area is open to the sky--my clothes, etc. are wet. Since the power company is turning off the electric today to perform maintantence on the local grid, I can't get my clothes dried. So tonight hopefully I can get everything out of my bin, get my clothes, etc. out and dried one way or another, and of course drain the water from my bin. Also this morning, I was trying to clean my glasses and the right lens popped out. I have a repair kit, but when I opened it, there were black stains on the polishing cloth. After I got the lens back in, I checked the cloth--and there was a bedbug in it! I ended its career, then found about four tiny hatchlings; they also never got to grow up. I threw the lens cleaning cloth away--the black spots were bedbug poop. How did they get in there? Not a good day! I have what I would've worn laying on my bed to dry; had to skip my shower because no sense putting the only dry clothes on, which are the ones I've been wearing all week, back on again. Might have to bathe out of the bathroom sink at church tomorrow, just come in early. Found out that though I got a much bigger Christmas bonus, I didn't get a raise. That's three years since my last one. I want out of this shelter so bad. They're closing it in October, and moving us to another facility; the former bus station we're in will be leveled to become parking for the event center they're building across the street. If the address I have is where it's going to be, it's an industrial park far from any of the amenities--fast food, 7-Eleven store, etc.--that we're used to. Life sucks.

cori67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cori67 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Deejay - how much money do you need each month to feasibly move into an apartment - even a studio? Also, have you considered moving out of California? The cost of living is so high there, there are other states, like Texas, where the cost of living is really reasonable. There are 1-2 bed apartments in San Antonio for $500-$800 per month. It is even cheaper the further south you go!

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm

I love California. Here in Orange County, you have to be making at least close to $55,000/yr. to be able to afford a decent apartment--you have to be making three times the rent or they won't consider you. The problem is that there are people who buy up properties, fix them up to accommodate the latest amenities, and charge obscene amounts of money for them. People who invest in properties and do this usually don't live in the area--or even the state--and think they can do this. One of my neighbors tells me she has a sister who owns 8 houses; she only rents them to millionaires. :x I think that's disgusting.

The least expensive room rental I've seen is $650 a month, for your own room, but chances are you have to share a bath as well as the kitchen. One time while living with friends, I saw an ad for a room for $450 a month. We went to check it out, and it was in a grubby neighborhood, it was a tiny room I would've had to share with the lady who was renting it out, I had to climb a spiral staircase to get to it, and the house was packed with junk and dirt. No thanks! There were several other people also living there--too many. I think the fire marshal would've given that lady an ultimatum about fire safety, because if that place had gone up--and it wasn't a new apartment building--the death toll would've been catastrophic.

Things like this are the reason so many people are becoming homeless--they're being priced out of the housing market. It's no longer drunks, drug addicts and the mentally ill who comprise the homeless population, it's veterans who were screwed over by the country they fought for, people who are struggling to make ends meet in a job market that, at least here, prefers to hire Latinos and those who are bilingual, and the young. Throw in stagnant wages--I just found out that for the third year in a row none of us at church are getting raises--and most jobs being part-time, and you've got a perfect storm for homelessness. Most people are from 1 to 3 paychecks from the street. It's disgusting. I remember hearing stories of people who went across country for a job, and when they moved in and put their kids in school, they'd be told, "You took a job away from a local who needed it." I don't need that. And from what I've seen in living in a few other states, the standard of living is lower than what it is in California. In Pennsylvania, whose schools are supposedly better than ours, I kept running into people who didn't know half the words I used. Just the other day I was eating at the shelter, and this guy says he wasn't used to eating soup for breakfast. When I told him it was invigorating, he didn't know what that word meant--swore he'd never heard it before. I almost asked him if he was from Pennsylvania. And I'm not a fan of the climate, either.

cori67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cori67 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:16 pm

I understand what you are saying, but seeing you will be displaced later on this year, wouldn't you want to do it on your own terms? And we moved here from Michigan and no one has ever told my husband or I that we were stealing jobs from locals. Moving is hard - we are moving this year after being settled in this house for 9 years, so I get it. But if you can't afford the cost of living where you are, and CA is insane for cost of living, why not move somewhere warm and cheaper?

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:37 pm

I've tried everything to get a better paying job, or a new place, and just keep running into brick walls. I've learned in 47 years of walking with the Lord that this is His way of telling me don't go there. I know people, even rock-solid Christians, have a hard time understanding and accepting this, but for me, I believe God has me here in this shelter, in this job, for a reason. They say that when we get to heaven, the most commonly spoken word will be "Oh!", like, oh, now I understand why You didn't want me to get that job/promotion/move to that house etc.. I admit it's hard, but what else can I do? My resume is on a high traffic site, and not one nibble. I tried signing with a well-known temp agency, and when they saw I was white, they acted like, Oh, no, another white person trying to get a job instead of a deserving Latino. When a Latino guy walked in--I was properly dressed, he was not--they were all over him like he was a rock star and they were his biggest fans. True story. This is not the America I was raised in.

cori67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cori67 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:59 pm

I am a certified resume writer. If you'd like I can take a look at your resume and make some suggestions for you.

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Allison did it last year.

Return to “The Water Cooler”