I Didn't Know Where to Park This Simple Question

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

Post Reply
User avatar
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Posts: 818
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:21 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

I Didn't Know Where to Park This Simple Question

Post by oursilverstrands » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Jan or Ann...Something I should know but don't. Is it Godmother or godmother, Goddaughter or goddaughter...or interchangeable?

Thanks,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60
https://grammyspen.com
Fortunate 500


I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

User avatar
glorybee
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: I Didn't Know Where to Park This Simple Question

Post by glorybee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:10 am

Lower case for these two words and other similar words formed with the same prefix.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

User avatar
RedBaron
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Ohio

Re: I Didn't Know Where to Park This Simple Question

Post by RedBaron » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:47 am

glorybee wrote:Lower case for these two words and other similar words formed with the same prefix.
Not to confuse anybody, but to clarify something I had been taught lol....

Wouldn't the rule, like with Mom/mom count, if the word is used in place of the name, it's capitalized?

Like:

My mom said I could go.
vs

Yes, Mom said I could go.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

User avatar
glorybee
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: I Didn't Know Where to Park This Simple Question

Post by glorybee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:43 pm

RedBaron wrote:
glorybee wrote:Lower case for these two words and other similar words formed with the same prefix.
Not to confuse anybody, but to clarify something I had been taught lol....

Wouldn't the rule, like with Mom/mom count, if the word is used in place of the name, it's capitalized?

Like:

My mom said I could go.
vs

Yes, Mom said I could go.
Shari, I'm not sure I'm following you. I can easily see a sentence like this:

My godmother said I could go.

But I don't believe I've ever heard someone use "Godmother" in place of a name:

Yes, Godmother said I could go.

It's just not done. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

User avatar
RedBaron
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Ohio

Re: I Didn't Know Where to Park This Simple Question

Post by RedBaron » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:18 am

glorybee wrote:
RedBaron wrote:
glorybee wrote:Lower case for these two words and other similar words formed with the same prefix.
Not to confuse anybody, but to clarify something I had been taught lol....

Wouldn't the rule, like with Mom/mom count, if the word is used in place of the name, it's capitalized?

Like:

My mom said I could go.
vs

Yes, Mom said I could go.
Shari, I'm not sure I'm following you. I can easily see a sentence like this:

My godmother said I could go.

But I don't believe I've ever heard someone use "Godmother" in place of a name:

Yes, Godmother said I could go.

It's just not done. Or am I misunderstanding you?
I've heard people do that, though. Maybe it's a regional thing?
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Post Reply

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”