Important Reminder - Previously Written Material

Discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions and find a Challenge buddy.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Important Reminder - Previously Written Material

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi everyone.

Although this is almost impossible to police, and technically only the honest people get "caught," there has been a return over recent topics of entries that were written previously. Sometimes it's too late for us to do anything about it (in other words, the information comes out after the winners have been determined and posted). Other times, I may contact the author to clarify the situation. Unfortunately, a lot of the time they slip under the radar, which isn't fair on everyone else.

As mentioned before, this is really something near impossible to police because it's only the innocent mistakes that get caught. So to avoid issues, this is a reminder of the rule.

All entries to the Writing Challenge need to be written after the topic is announced. In the past, we have allowed entries where the authors have taken a previously written piece and substantially rewritten it for the Challenge (in other words, the final piece is dramatically different to the original). However, as this is probably only just adding to the confusion, and because that little loophole is possibly adding to the confusion, as from the current topic (ACTION/ADVENTURE) all entries now need to be written fresh for the Challenge. No previously written material at all, even if substantially reworked. (Sorry.)

The reason we have this rule is because the main intention of the Challenge is to provide a way for authors to hone their skills by writing to topic, word count and deadline every week. So previously written material, even if reworked to fit, is not really in the spirit of the Challenge.

So, in a nutshell, if a topic is posted and you think you have something that may fit with a bit of reworking, that would be against the spirit of the Challenge and outside the rules. The entire concept of the entry needs to be developed after the topic has been announced.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yarra
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Important Reminder - Previously Written Material

Post by yarra »

So glad you've reminded us all of this, and clarified and updated the rules. That makes it more of a 'level playing field', so to speak. I enjoy the challenge of starting from scratch after the topic is announced, although sometimes I don't get anything finished in time for the deadline. :D Thanks for all the reading of our entries that you, and the other judges, do. That in itself must be a huge challenge! God bless you, Ellen
alanrkane
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by alanrkane »

So also checking if you start even a number of lines then decide not on topic and do a new entry. What can we do with these lines previously formulated? So can I still use the idea just re-jig it or does it go into a literary black hole?
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Alan, I'm not totally sure what you mean. If you start something for the Challenge, but then change your mind, you can use it somewhere else--but I don't think that's what you're asking.

If you mean can you then take a previously started idea and use it for a different topic when one comes up, provided you only wrote a couple of sentences or something, that's not an issue. I mean, you never finished it and it wasn't posted anywhere. Quite frankly, no one but you knows that the opening sentences were from a previous idea.

It's when someone has written something completely and then goes and finds it when they see the topic because they think that will work well for the topic. They may change it a little here and there, or they may use it as is. That's the real problem.

But if I'm understanding what you're saying, what you said really isn't a problem because you do still need to write the thing pretty much from scratch.

Love, Deb
Deb

tracynunes
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by tracynunes »

Hi Deb, For the Inspirational Challenge, I've written something specifically for this challenge. It is a subject I have written about before, but it is a completely new piece top to botteom, written from a very different angle. It's not a reworked old article that I tweaked to make work for the topic. Would that be okay?
Tracy Nunes
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

I'm not Deb, but I'll answer for her because I know without a doubt what her answer will be--yes, that's fine.

When I was writing for the Challenge, I believe I wrote nearly 10 pieces on my daughter's accident, all taking different approaches. That's not a problem at all.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
tracynunes
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by tracynunes »

Thank you Jan! That helps a lot. :thankssign
Tracy Nunes
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Yep. Jan's right. No worries at all Tracy.

Love, Deb
Deb

tracynunes
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by tracynunes »

Thanks Deb! :thankssign
Tracy Nunes
CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by CatLin »

Just this week, my husband tried to convince me to rewrite a a story I've already written (and submitted) for the current challenge. He didn't understand when I told him I couldn't do that. I explained that the Challenge is to learn the topic, come up with an idea, and enter an article within a week. "But no one would know if you changed it enough. And are you sure you submitted it?" I would know, and it doesn't matter. I told him we were on an "honor system" when it comes to previously written material.
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Love you, Cat.

It's one of those things that a lot of new members don't realise, but the heart of the Challenge is definitely a challenge.
Deb

CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by CatLin »

Deb Porter wrote:... the heart of the Challenge is definitely a challenge.
And that's why FaithWriters is THE home for Christian writers. If we are not challenged to stretch and improve, we will never grow.
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

Return to “Writing Challenge - General Discussion”