Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

lauralnm
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by lauralnm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:26 am

JesusPuppy wrote:I am still here Shann, just having a hard time right now.Asked my manager about the time off, and he said I will have to wait until winter when things are slow enough. I just dont get it. It is ok for for the "Other" night worker to take off two seperate weeks in the summer, but I have to wait until it rains too much to do anything.

Yes... I could use prayer on this. I know I NEED my job for the various Payments I make, but I am trully thinking of quitting. I work myself nearly to death, and my partner, who is supposedly in charge gets all the credit, even though he comes in late every night. I just give up. :roll:
I'm kind of new on this forum, pup, but I do feel for your situation. I'm not sure why these things happen to good people, but I have been in many situations similar during my life, where I've played the ballgame as it should be played, but have ended up last on the totem pole. Makes no sense, but I do understand. I have put you on my prayer list. Please keep us posted on whether you get the time off before the rainy season. In His Love, laura

lauralnm
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by lauralnm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 am

Ms. Barbie wrote:I've got job issues too. I am an administrator of 3 group homes for persons who have developmental disabilities. While I love the clients I work with, I know that I'm a poor supervisor to the staff who take direct care of the clients. I'm on call 24/7 and rarely get a break from the stress.

There's an office job within my company coming available in October and I plan on applying for it. Of course its a steep cut in pay- but it's Monday- Friday, 8-5 with no supervisory decisions needed! My boss knows that I'm interested in it- and my reasons. I am praying that this is a good step and wondering if God will okay it. If not, I'm praying for another job-anything where I'm not a supervisor!:
I don't work outside the home any longer, but I know exactly how you feel, Ms. Barbie. I have been in supervisory jobs and have absolutely hated them. I am a person who better takes supervision well, but to have to dish it out myself... no thanks. I think you would be happier in the Monday-Friday, 8-5 job of which you speak. I will place you on my prayer list as well. In His Love, laura

jostrick
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jostrick » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:05 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:I am still here Shann, just having a hard time right now.Asked my manager about the time off, and he said I will have to wait until winter when things are slow enough. I just dont get it. It is ok for for the "Other" night worker to take off two seperate weeks in the summer, but I have to wait until it rains too much to do anything.

Yes... I could use prayer on this. I know I NEED my job for the various Payments I make, but I am trully thinking of quitting. I work myself nearly to death, and my partner, who is supposedly in charge gets all the credit, even though he comes in late every night. I just give up. :roll:
Um, don't give up. Praying that if you are to remain in the job that you will have an opening and the words to speak frankly, with wisdom, to the correct people--and that they will listen. Also praying that God will give you strength, confidence/courage and show you the 'right' way to confront. Also praying you will get the rest/break you desire and that God will bless you with favor.
Joanna Stricker

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:22 pm

violin4jesus wrote:
Shann wrote:Not sure if I got everyone's but these are the ones I know. Now don't make me nag you to go and comment on our quirky little group's stories :nono2
You even edited mine and didn't list it! :roll:

I guess I really biffed it this week....

:oops:
Yours was the very first one! Did I mess it up? I'm sorry, I'll have to double check but it said level 4 but maybe it copied the wrong one. Though I'm pretty sure it's yours!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Dear Jesus, Thank you so much for FW and the wonderful friends here. It is so nice to fellowship with others who know you. Thank you for the concept of love. It's something difficult to explain but our hearts know when we love someone. Our human love isn't perfect like yours but we are so grateful to have a standard to strive for. Please bless Pup as he struggles. You know what is in his heart and just where t put the band-aid to stop the bleeding. Wrap your arms around him and remind him how much we all love him. Help his heart to heal and grant his boss some kindness and appreciation for all Pup does. We also lift up Barb. You know more than any of us how she has struggled in her job. She is such a kind and empathetic person. Please grant her the wisdom to know what to do as far as her job is concerned. Bless them both with strength and discernment. in your Precious Name we pray. Amen :grouphug :grouphug :loveyou :loveyou
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

lauralnm
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by lauralnm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:42 pm

This is directed to Leah. I was just sitting talking with my sixteen-year old granddaughter about my entry this past week for the "groceries" topic. I was explaining to her that I got my entry in by the skin of my teeth and that so far, I had been given quite a few reviews. She pops up and says... "I know someone on that website." "Really, who?" She responds... "Leah, and her husband's name is Ryan." We went on and on and she explained that Leah went to her mom's church when Leah and Ryan lived here. Bottom line is this... My granddaughter is Bridget Lemott. It makes me feel like I have a real connection to someone here now. Her mom is Shawna Lemott. I'm so excited! blessings... laura
Last edited by lauralnm on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoyAnn
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JoyAnn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:54 am

gahhh didn't get an entry done. And I just noticed how little time there is untill NaNo and i am not ready for it...well that shall be interesting...oh and...I don't know where I a was going...I had a serious cold chill, and nearly peed my pants because I have to go and was going to once I finished my sentence and that cold chill made not peeing my pants nearly impossible and now, all this rambling is not helping with that or me remember what I was going to say..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................okay now that I have peed...what was I going to say, oh and because of the biggest loser I don't know if I will have much time to plot and plan and study for NaNo, so I don't know if I will have the time to NaNo...because if I go in not knowing anything about floristry, my plot or my characters then I am not going to be able to write. I also keep having these bizarre-o dreams. Speaking of sleep I SHOULD BE ASLEEP! I really wanted to write tonight, but I need to get to bed sooner and get up sooner...so with how late it already is, I guess I am not writing tonight. God I miss writing every night...even if I don't get my people and plot figured out, even if I still can't tell a Rose from a Ranunculus I am still looking forward to NaNo!
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

[email protected]
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:13 am

Haha, how fun that your daughter knows Leah, Laura! :D

Pup, so frustrating about your job. You're pretty good friends with your boss, right? Can you approach them as share your frustrations about not being treated the same as the other employees even though you are working harder? I'd feel bad if you came all this way just for a couple hours of a party, but I do wish you all could come.

Barb, that would be awesome if you could get a lower stress job but still be able to be helping the people you love to work with. I'll pray you can get it.

Joanna, I'm working on a suspense series right now, too! So yours will be a companion series where each book has a different main character who was a secondary character in the other books? Cool. I guess the main thing to remember is that every scene needs conflict of some kind, so maybe thinking of some of the different types of conflict might bring some ideas of how they can interact with each other. Or together having trouble with someone else... a bad guy or mean person or whatever. There is man vs. man, so two of them could be at odds at first, not getting along well, or both liking the same guy or wanting the same job... ect. There is man vs self, so your character could be jealous or shy or proud and struggling with her feelings about that. There is man vs. nature... you could have a storm or something drive all of them to the same location so they are stuck in danger. And of course there is man vs. God, where someone is having a spiritual struggle.

Maybe something in there will spark a few ideas?

Seema, great to see you pop in! Glad school is starting off well.

Leah, there will definitely be a conference in 2013. I really missed seeing you all, too, but it worked out well for me because then it let me go to the other bigger conference and meet with the agents and such. That conference would have gotten over the day before the FW one, so that wouldn't have worked to do both. I'd like to get more agents at our next conference, but if they charge in order to come then I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford that or not. I'm working on finding a location and getting bids on that right now, so we should know more soon.

I'm still fighting a ton of heavy fatigue but yet haven't been sleeping well. For the first part of the week I was sleeping almost constantly and was able to write a tiny bit between naps, but now I'm just as exhausted but not sleeping as well. I meant to be in bed already but am going now and plan to stay in bed until the afternoon and then go over to a friend's apartment who doesn't have internet. Hopefully I'll be awake enough that I can find some creative energy and make a dent in the book everyone is waiting for.

I am at 10,000 words of the rewrite. I did a lot of tweaking to the storyline when I made the proposal for the conference, so I'm implementing those changes and putting together and fixing the random scenes I wrote in random order during NaNo. So far it's mostly in order but as I get farther into it, it'll get way more complicated and messy. Hopefully I can locate the scenes I need and find some that are at least usable. :p That year's NaNo didn't work nearly as well for me as the one before where I ended with a very rough but usable complete rough draft.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:28 am

So we have made the decision to move house. Or at least start the process. Its a bit scary but exciting, especially since we have never moved in our married life. So much as we dislike the house it has all of our first memories associated with it. So I'm sure when the time comes it will be hard to say goodbye. But perhaps I am getting ahead of myself....we haven't even viewed any houses yet. But its all mixed up in the planning and decision process.

After the rough time of leaving and getting re-adjusted I am really excited to get back to work. I love being able to write as part of work and not just a hobby. Plus my sister and I are starting a blog together. I have tried several times to start a blog on my own and I just didnt have the motivation to stick with it. I am just super excited to do this with my sister, cause at the very least there will always be 1 person who reads it. I've always struggled with writing for other people instead of myself, but I finally feel like I am getting to the point where I can just enjoy writing for myself and be excited whether anyone reads it or not.

Its crazy how small our world is. Its fun to figure out some of the connections we have!

Amy I am always impressed how much you are able to get done. I read about your day and how you slept half the day and still manage to get more done in half a day than I do in a week!
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:21 am

tonguethaid wrote:Amy I am always impressed how much you are able to get done. I read about your day and how you slept half the day and still manage to get more done in half a day than I do in a week!
Aww, thank you. But you are keeping up housework and cooking and a marriage and taking care of a kid, and I do none of those (except an occasional load of laundry or loading the dishwasher). Today I spent a couple hours making some phone calls and emails to finish getting bids on venues for the FW conference next year, watered my friend's plants, and read one chapter of When God Weeps... and then fell asleep again instead of getting any writing done. :? At least it was a couple things accomplished, I guess. Most days hasn't been even that lately.

Exciting that you are moving. It's soooo much work, but as I'm in a house now that I don't like either, I know what it's like to be excited about the possibility of finding a better location. Praying that you can find just the right place in the right location at the right price.

Oh, Leah, I was praying for your cousin's visit earlier today and realized I forgot to comment on it. I've probably mentioned before that there are a large percentage of interpreters who are homosexual, so I've had to learn a lot about loving a person and hating a sin. I'm excited about your opportunity to live out God in their lives. Praying it goes well. Remember that even if God doesn't come up at all, they still will see Him in you.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:38 am

Litle Sparrow Bird wrote:Pup, so frustrating about your job. You're pretty good friends with your boss, right? Can you approach them as share your frustrations about not being treated the same as the other employees even though you are working harder?
It was my BOSS that said I would have to wait 'til winter when things slow down. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks for praying for our time. Ironically I saw my cousin more than I thought I would; her back went out the night they arrived, and she was in too much pain to move, let alone go to Disneyland which they had planned to do. I directed them to the Urgent Care clinic, where she got a shot and some prescriptions, and then they napped while I got a massage and bought stuff for dinner. I got to feed them breakfast and dinner, and after dinner they were up for games, and we finally got to play Settlers of Catan. We haven't played with anyone down here since we moved. We taught them, and my cousin won the game, so a good boost to her spirits. They leave in the morning for Palm Springs. I'm sending them off with ice packs.

Laura, I love Bridget! She was in my kids' church class for YEARS! Before I quit and moved to be closer to Ryan, I was doing Junior High with all the girls I had taught in kids' church. Plus, for a time I did some targeted discipleship with her and about five other girls who wanted to really dive in deep together. I still pray for her; she always was much more mature than the others. I can tell she's a real thinker. So awesome that we have that connection!

It's been hot again; I'm lying in bed with the fan blowing and zero covers. I like it but I sure sweated a bunch while cooking! A little cooler would be nice. Sure love the sun, though.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Sun..? You mean you have thin cloud cover down there? How can you stand it. :heehee
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:Sun..? You mean you have thin cloud cover down there? How can you stand it. :heehee
I don't get it. Did you know there's a moon thief? I txted Amy once upset that someone stole the moon and I wanted to call the cops cuz it was out the first time I somnambulated but then 3 hours later someone stole it! which remains me the moon is almost full and so pretty and if you guys go look at it right now and I go look right now, even though we are thousands of miles apart we are all looking at the same moon which connects us somehow and reminds me of the song about the mice family who lost their child mouse in NYC it was a movie American Tale
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 pm

For a little while now I've been noticing noises scaring me. Noises that didn't used to make me jump. What's worse is when they scare me I'll jump and feel like ive been shot and feel a knot in my stomach. I just don't understand. :(
Dum Spiro Spero

Return to “The Water Cooler”