Page Turner 2009 Roll Call

Discussion for Platinum members about the current Page Turner Writing Contest

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Are you entering?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 am

Unless God takes me home first, I'm in!
48%
Probably, so long as my first chapter doesn't stink on ice.
34%
Maybe, if God strikes me with a workable idea before then.
17%
Probably not; fiction isn't my forte.
No votes
No, unless God uses tablets of stone to command me to enter.
No votes

Total votes: 29

Vile
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Vile »

I'm finishing my first one, then going to this one. I already know it's going to be the 'full story' off of this one shot I did for an anthology.
JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy »

hey... if this is going to be like one of the weekly writing Challenges, and we already know I can't win at those... should I even try.......? :shock:

YES!

If for no other reason than getting the silly thing finished. 13 years on it is just tooo long. (and Deb though she was a procrastinator.) :roll:

Beside I am up to 17 of 21 chapters. true the title has changed 7 times and the synopsis had to be rewitten at least 15 times now, and.... :|
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.
Hoomi
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Hoomi »

Pup, SIT! STAY! Finish your book!

(And get it entered... the more the merrier...)
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
rsclark
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by rsclark »

I'm toying with the idea. I'm about half finished, but finding time to finish it has been difficult. I do pretty well know how the rest of the book will play out, it's been cooking for a while.
R
Jer. 29:11
Christian, mom, writer
Beach Reads
A Dining Room Education
Hoomi
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Hoomi »

You don't need to have the book finished before entering; this would be one case where I'd back away from my oft-repeated advice to not revise early chapters before finishing the first draft.

So, if you're considering it, don't look at the entry deadline as being the deadline you need to have the entire draft finished by; it's the deadline you need to have your first chapter ready and the novel synopsis submitted.

It sounds like you have your first chapter already, and you know where the story is going, so you're well on your way.

Now, sit back and again marvel at the beauty of a group like this, where the folks you're competing against are encouraging you to enter, even if it means you might win instead of one of us. ;)
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

Hoomi wrote: So, if you're considering it, don't look at the entry deadline as being the deadline you need to have the entire draft finished by; it's the deadline you need to have your first chapter ready and the novel synopsis submitted.

It sounds like you have your first chapter already, and you know where the story is going, so you're well on your way.

Now, sit back and again marvel at the beauty of a group like this, where the folks you're competing against are encouraging you to enter, even if it means you might win instead of one of us. ;)
That's EXACTLY what I did. I had NOTHING but the first chapter and synopsis done when I submitted, and I did QUITE well, thank you ;) (STILL can't believe it!) And remember - even if/when you win first, you still have a FULL YEAR to finish the manuscript to redeem your free editing.

Go for it, Rhonda!!
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
rsclark
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by rsclark »

My first chap is close to being polished, and I did plan to spend a lot of time polishing it.

The problem, I haven't finished the book, so I can't write the ending. I'm a SOTP writer, so the ending details may change from the synopsis.
R
Christian, mom, writer
Beach Reads
A Dining Room Education
Hoomi
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Hoomi »

Since the judges are also writers, I'm sure they understand that stories sometimes develop differently from the original idea. Submit your chapter, and your best idea of the synopsis, and go for it.

What do you have to lose? If you enter and don't win, then you just had a little extra impetus to work on your book. If you don't enter, though, then you lose the benefits you might have received in the entry had done well.

If you want, we'll twist your arm a bit more.
rsclark
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by rsclark »

Hoomi wrote:Since the judges are also writers, I'm sure they understand that stories sometimes develop differently from the original idea. Submit your chapter, and your best idea of the synopsis, and go for it.

What do you have to lose? If you enter and don't win, then you just had a little extra impetus to work on your book. If you don't enter, though, then you lose the benefits you might have received in the entry had done well.

If you want, we'll twist your arm a bit more.
What about this?

I polish the first chap to it's shiny best. Then I work on finishing the rough draft and do a synopsis to that. If I placed I'd be able to have a year to rework.
R
Christian, mom, writer
Beach Reads
A Dining Room Education
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

rsclark wrote: What about this?

I polish the first chap to it's shiny best. Then I work on finishing the rough draft and do a synopsis to that. If I placed I'd be able to have a year to rework.
Sounds good to me! Go for it, Rhonda!!
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
write43in1
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by write43in1 »

Well, I'm excited!

I've got two novel ideas in progress and am hoping this will inspire me to rework first chapter/prologues so one can be submitted. I'm very close on these. And, I recently bowed out of some other committees I've been involved with for many years in order to focus more on my writing this year. It's time.

Cheers to all the others. GO FOR THE PAGE TURNER GOLD! Just git 'er done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Marty

"To live without risk is to risk not living."--Brennan Manning

"The worst of work nowadays is what happens to people when they cease to work."
--Gilbert K. Chesterton

"Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give."
--William A. Ward
JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy »

rsclark wrote:The problem, I haven't finished the book, so I can't write the ending. I'm a SOTP writer, so the ending details may change from the synopsis.
I hear you RC. My book seems to be changing more everytime I sit down to write. I had to take a break from it the other day as they were arguing over whether the ship would crash... and whose fault it was. But it is still getting there. I want to at least have the rough stuff done before sibmiting, though. I can always go back after I win and change everything.

:mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

Hoomi
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Hoomi »

Okay; new plan, everyone.

Number one goal is making sure Pup doesn't win.

:lol:
JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy »

:rolling

JesusPuppy Profile

Vile
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Vile »

Hoomi wrote:Okay; new plan, everyone.

Number one goal is making sure Pup doesn't win.

:lol:
Funny... this being a contest, my goal was to make sure that everyone else doesn't win!

:typing2

Return to “Page Turner Writing Contest”