Should I make this Comma Part Six :-)

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Should I make this Comma Part Six :-)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Ann, once again I checked your comma posts for an answer to my question before using my "last resort" option. Could you tell me if my commas and dash are placed correctly in the following sentence? I am least certain about the first one, and most certain about the remaining ones. I think, according to one of Jan's lessons, everything in between the comma is a non-essential. Am I wrong? :D

Excerpts from, The Healing Heart - Minds, Moods, and Machines- will give us an important dimension to the effects of emotional stress on the heart.

Thanks,

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: Should I make this Comma Part Six :-)

Post by Anja »

Excerpts from, The Healing Heart - Minds, Moods, and Machines- will give us an important dimension to the effects of emotional stress on the heart.

Let's break this down.

First of all, there is only one comma, so it's not setting off anything that could be non-essential and the dashes aren't either. The book's title is essential to the meaning of the sentence.

Excerpts from The Healing Heart--Minds, Moods, and Machines will give us an important dimension to the effects of emotional stress on the heart.

The title becomes a non-essential element if you were to write the sentence in this way.

Excerpts from Joe Smith's book, The Healing Heart--Minds, Moods, and Machines, will give us an important dimension to the effects of emotional stress on the heart.

The reasoning is because the sentence does not lose its meaning if the title is removed.

Excerpts from Joe Smith's book will give us an important dimension to the effects of emotional stress on the heart.
Ann Grover Stocking

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel
oursilverstrands

Re: Should I make this Comma Part Six :-)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Thanks, Ann. I'll keep at it. Commas are hard...one step forward and two steps back. :(

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”