Got one more...

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Got one more...

Post by jo555 »

I think this may be the last one to finish up on this current editing.

What style do you suggest on titles, like movie and music titles, especially as they are found within quotes?

For instance, "My wife talked me into watching Dancing with the Stars with her and I missed Monday Night Football."

I was using single quotes but after reading something elsewhere on titles I went with capitalizing the titles. Doesn't look right to me, like all blended in together.

Then there are titles within conversation. I don't like how quotes within quotes looks either but think I prefer it over caps.

Can I do italics for titles within quotation marks, like the suggestion on the stressing a word within quotes? I like how that looks.
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: Got one more...

Post by Anja »

Jo,

Here's a page that defines when to use quotation marks or italics.

MLA Style Guide for Italics and Quotation Marks

Remember, since we are writers, a book title is always italicized. No quotation marks.
Ann Grover Stocking

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Got one more...

Post by jo555 »

Thanks. That was very helpful and have saved it for future reference.

:thankssign :party
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”