Commas (Part One)

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Commas (Part One)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Okay, Ashley, it's settled. Jan knows best, so I'm the winner of the friendly, family feud with my cousin after all. :D I need to be more confident about what I know and have learned.

Thanks again for highlighting the issue. You also know your stuff. :lol:

Lillian

Steve posted another opinion before I posted this.
Last edited by oursilverstrands on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
oursilverstrands

Okay, Steve, let me see if I am correctly understanding you. Here goes:

My sentence that I used in my first example needed to have the comma before the "and."
The sentence that was in the Blog is also correct because it was not of the same construction as my sentence; one included two independent clauses, and the other involved a parenthetical phrase. Correct?

Is my summary too simplistic or wrong? My brain is a bowl of spaghetti right now. I must unscramble this! :D

Lillian
When Youth Fades

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

For the record, I disagree with Steve. But he's still an awesome guy. :D
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by swfdoc1 »

Yes, Lillian, what you wrote in your last post simplifies parts of what I said, except that the comma is better changed to a semi-colon.

Jan, which part(s) do you disagree with?
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

Sorry, people, just seeing this now.

I was vacationing for almost two weeks in the land of sunshine and saguaros. "Commas" and their usage wasn't anywhere on my schedule.

Another vote for what Jan said.
Ann Grover Stocking

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel
oursilverstrands

Thanks, Ann, I hope you had a super time. Warm sunshine sounds like a little bit of heaven right now.

Lillian :brrr
When Youth Fades

Fortunate 500

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”