Very Strange

Discussion and links regarding potentially problematic publishers, agents, writing contests, etc.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

yvonblake
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Very Strange

Post by yvonblake »

Twice in the last month, I've received notices from my Google Alert of this site - http://yfyiginoy.ru/vamage.pdf . I don't know how they got a copy of my book, accept on Amazon where Createspace at posted it. I know I've sold Kindle versions of it there.

But can they legally give away free downloads of my book? If not, how do I report it?

(I don't expect to get rich on my writing, and I often give it away. I even feel good that people are reading these inspirational stories, but I feel violated somehow.)
deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Very Strange

Post by deejay »

Have you notified Amazon? Somebody could've gotten a free download, copied it, and sold it, thinking you wouldn't notice. :pirate2 :cop People these days don't care about others, as long as they can profit off of it.
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

If they are giving away something that they do not have the rights to, that's the same as stealing. I would contact Amazon and see if they can do anything. It seems odd that they would take something that isn't theirs and give it away.
yvonblake wrote:Twice in the last month, I've received notices from my Google Alert of this site - http://yfyiginoy.ru/vamage.pdf . I don't know how they got a copy of my book, accept on Amazon where Createspace at posted it. I know I've sold Kindle versions of it there.

But can they legally give away free downloads of my book? If not, how do I report it?

(I don't expect to get rich on my writing, and I often give it away. I even feel good that people are reading these inspirational stories, but I feel violated somehow.)
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

Yvonne, I've heard a lot of writers mentioning this lately. It seems to be a scam of some sort. I don't think they actually have your book. They list every book they can (even books that don't have e-books) and they try to scam people or transfer viruses when people attempt to download it.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yvonblake
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by yvonblake »

Thank you, Deb.

Contacting Amazon or Createspace might be a good idea. After all, it could be hurting them too,
at least hurting their reputation of protecting their clientele.

:thankssign

Return to “Forewarned is Forearmed”