To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Very Strange

Discussion and links regarding potentially problematic publishers, agents, writing contests, etc.

Moderator: itsjoanne

yvonblake
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Very Strange

Postby yvonblake » Sat May 14, 2016 7:01 am

Twice in the last month, I've received notices from my Google Alert of this site - http://yfyiginoy.ru/vamage.pdf . I don't know how they got a copy of my book, accept on Amazon where Createspace at posted it. I know I've sold Kindle versions of it there.

But can they legally give away free downloads of my book? If not, how do I report it?

(I don't expect to get rich on my writing, and I often give it away. I even feel good that people are reading these inspirational stories, but I feel violated somehow.)

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Very Strange

Postby deejay » Sat May 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Have you notified Amazon? Somebody could've gotten a free download, copied it, and sold it, thinking you wouldn't notice. :pirate2 :cop People these days don't care about others, as long as they can profit off of it.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat May 14, 2016 9:28 pm

If they are giving away something that they do not have the rights to, that's the same as stealing. I would contact Amazon and see if they can do anything. It seems odd that they would take something that isn't theirs and give it away.

yvonblake wrote:Twice in the last month, I've received notices from my Google Alert of this site - http://yfyiginoy.ru/vamage.pdf . I don't know how they got a copy of my book, accept on Amazon where Createspace at posted it. I know I've sold Kindle versions of it there.

But can they legally give away free downloads of my book? If not, how do I report it?

(I don't expect to get rich on my writing, and I often give it away. I even feel good that people are reading these inspirational stories, but I feel violated somehow.)
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Sun May 15, 2016 2:35 am

Yvonne, I've heard a lot of writers mentioning this lately. It seems to be a scam of some sort. I don't think they actually have your book. They list every book they can (even books that don't have e-books) and they try to scam people or transfer viruses when people attempt to download it.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yvonblake
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby yvonblake » Sun May 15, 2016 5:30 am

Thank you, Deb.

Contacting Amazon or Createspace might be a good idea. After all, it could be hurting them too,
at least hurting their reputation of protecting their clientele.

:thankssign

Return to Forewarned is Forearmed