Becoming a freelance writer

Discussion and links regarding potentially problematic publishers, agents, writing contests, etc.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Becoming a freelance writer

Post by TracePezzali »

Hi

I'm very nervously dipping my toe into the employment internet sites to see if I can get some contract writing work. I'm not sure if there are some sites I should avoid:

eg. would anyone have any good or bad things to say about freelancer.com? I'm a bit overwealmed by the site where you have to bid for work and you are up against a lot of people. I wouldn't know what price to pay when I'm not sure what the work will entail (and how many hours) and I don't know what my skills are worth. This site will charge you after a month if you use their service. If it's not a good method of getting work, I won't waste time uploading my profile and resume etc.

Please, can you give me some tips on where to start, and what sort of work to look for?

Also, with copywriting and proofing - what level of knowledge do I need with grammar etc. I'm thinking this is not quite as intense as editing...

Thank you!
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Becoming a freelance writer

Post by TracePezzali »

Eek! Have asked something I'm not meant to? 100+ views and no comments!
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
Laurie
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Laurie »

My guess is that others, like me, don't have experience with the site so we don't have any insights to share with you. :( I wish someone did. It's nice when we can help each other.
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Sorry! I somehow totally missed this post.

Freelancing is a bit of a on again/off again thing. I've been doing it for awhile. I've gotten some good jobs through https://www.upwork.com/find-work-home/ , but I've also been sent offers that turned out to be scams. You just have to be careful when doing any work online. I used to have a writing website, and one of my earliest clients through it ended up not paying me. With Upwork (used to be called oDesk), you do all the work through the site and payment is made through the site, protecting both parties. They do take a percentage of the money you make, but it's after the fact, not an upfront fee.

NEVER pay for a freelance site in advance for a "promise of work". Those are scams.

There are other sites where you can bid on work, and unfortunately, they expect you to do work really cheaply. It's a way to get started, but you probably won't make a lot. I'm trying to remember some of the sites I used to work through. If I find the links, I'll post them.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Return to “Forewarned is Forearmed”