Brown Books Publishing

Discussion and links regarding potentially problematic publishers, agents, writing contests, etc.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

traceyb3
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Brown Books Publishing

Post by traceyb3 »

I received an e-mail inquiry for my children's story today from Brown's Book Publishing. I looked on Google to find any other information but was unsuccessful. It's probably been mentioned here before but are they a self-publisher? Has anyone had any experiences with them, successful or unsuccessful? My husband and I are on a limited income, so I cannot go the self-publishing route, nor do I have enough experience to be in control of publishing my book.
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Brown Books Publishing

Post by Deb Porter »

Tracey, I'd almost be 100% certain this is a subsidy press. There are some signs.

Biggest one, they contacted you. That's a little unusual for a traditional publisher.

Second thing is their slogan: The Entrepreneurial Publisher for Entrepreneurial Authors.

That gives the impression of a business investment on both sides.

Third thing, they have an open door policy on receiving manuscripts for review. AND they will reply within a fairly short time. That's definitely not a traditional publisher unless they are brand new.

There is mention of editing and design charges in the FAQs. Nothing straight out about it but it's there.

Last of all, they ask the author to contact them by phone when submitting so they can make a close bond with their authors. This is not something a traditional publisher would do. Most manuscripts submitted traditionally are not accepted, so a relationship with a submitting author is unnecessary. But the opposite is true for subsidy press companies.

So I'm fairly confident they are another subsidy press Publisher, which is fine if the author is aware and that's the path they want to go. Not a great path, though.

Love Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

traceyb3
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Brown Books Publishing

Post by traceyb3 »

Thanks Deb. Just making sure.

Return to “Forewarned is Forearmed”