Be a Better Writer--AVOID THESE COMMON ERRORS

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--AVOID THESE COMMON ERRORS

Post by swfdoc1 »

swfdoc1 wrote:Actually, as I think about it, I'm pretty sure the "job and title" thing happened to someone else. I've done so much editing and been edited so many times, it all starts to blur.
Yep, someone else, per here (scroll down to my second post on the page and following).
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
JudySauer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by JudySauer »

Jan,

The learning continues. Bless you!

In your paragraph about imminent and eminent, you describe eminent as outstanding or noteworthy. What then is eminent domain? It seems to be a legal term of someone stealing away property from others for their own gain. Your thoughts?

I did not know that a horde of people is a crowd or mass of people. Good to know.

Good to know about callus versus callous. I thought callous had different meanings.

I must have read this before because I realized I was using anxious incorrectly when I mean to say how excited I am. Result is I've been self-correcting ever since. Thanks!

You crack me up with the reference to high school versing - going to a poetry contest. I like how you find humor in words.

Judy :thankssign
Mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance. -Jude 2 NIV

Judy Sauer
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=23323
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

JudySauer wrote:Jan,

In your paragraph about imminent and eminent, you describe eminent as outstanding or noteworthy. What then is eminent domain? It seems to be a legal term of someone stealing away property from others for their own gain. Your thoughts?
I had to look that one up. According to Wikipedia, the phrase 'eminent domain' is from dominium eminens (Latin for supreme lordship).

So the Latin eminens gives us the more common meaning of eminent (outstanding or noteworthy) and the meaning in the legal expression (supreme).
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Athayde
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Athayde »

Great!
Thanks.

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”