Be a Better Writer--MEMOIR AND 1ST PERSON NARRATIVE

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

glorybee

Re: Be a Better Writer--MEMOIR AND 1ST PERSON NARRATIVE

Post by glorybee »

sarita2 wrote:Thank you. So thoughts can be either italicized or simply written without any special indicators? Thank you!
Well, if you're writing a person's thoughts as narrative, you might have to change the tense and/or POV a bit. For example:

Jan looked at the last piece of cake. Ben won't mind if I eat this. Probably.

There, the italics represent Jan's thoughts. On the other hand:

Jan looked at the last piece of cake. Ben wouldn't mind if she ate it. Probably.

There, the last two sentences are Jan's thoughts, but written as narrative.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
gma591959
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--MEMOIR AND 1ST PERSON NARRATIVE

Post by gma591959 »

Memoirs of a Care giver's Heart

On April 12th of 1985, 33 years ago, when we said “I do”, there was no way I would know we would be where we are today. He can still get around pretty good, but it's gotten to the point to where he is asking for “things”, that he could do himself, (if he really had to). So, my day of taking care of him, begins with arduous tasks. This is where my past nurse's aide training kicks in.

For one and a half years now, I have placed his wants and needs before mine. Each day seems to be more challenging than the next. I never know what tomorrow, may hold. In the process, I have developed a routine, helping him to understand that God comes first in my life. He doesn't complain about it, as long as I have given him his first cup of coffee.

My Daily Devotional time I have with the Lord, is what keeps going. Spending solitude time with Him, is what gives me the strength I need, to continue being the Care Giver that God has called me to be. I am guided throughout the day, with His infinite wisdom, especially when I put Him first.

II Cor. 12:9 NKJV:

. . .My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. . .

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”