Be a Better Writer--ALLITERATION

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--ALLITERATION

Post by oursilverstrands »

I know this lesson is ready for the archives, but I just read an example of allititeration in an article about hypertension. I guess I now have a heightened awareness of it.

"Caffeine comes with consequences."

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Glad you spotted that, Lillian!

In that case (as with the Supreme Court example that Steve cited earlier), I'm sure the alliteration wasn't intentional, for any particular effect. It's more likely that there were no other word choices available to express those particular concepts.

Regardless, it's fun to spot serendipitous alliteration. Being able to pick up on it will eventually make alliteration part of your natural mindset, and you'll be more likely to be able to use it well in your writings.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Athayde
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Athayde »

Hi, Jan. I don't write poems, but I've wrote this one just to do not fail at the Challenge--Beat Around The Bush. I fixed it a little to bring it here :roll:. I do have some Alliteration in it to contribute to the class.

Deadline

The whistling winds shivering at the windows, like faraway waves kneading the shores of my soul, lull me into fantasy and bliss. I dream
Then I write
One word
Then I halt.
I look through the window
There's an icy river passing by the land
I roll the pencil; I rub the rubber grip; I sense it between my fingers
I dot a period.
I drop the rod and grab the mug
A hot Yerba Mate, tasting like thin fluid nectar. It slides slowly through the curves of my tongue, and it dribbles down into my throat. I savor
The savor is on my tongue. My tongue, my thoughts, my tongue
I look at the white paper, it is empty
Only a word. I erase it.
The Yerba is cold. Bitter
I look through the window
There's a grassy meadow across the icy river
I push the rod against the frozen sheet
I crack it. I break it. Then I come up
Then I write
Then I breathe.

Thank you.

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”