Prayer about a book needed

Share your prayer requests here. "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." -Mark 11:24

Moderators: RedBaron, beaedwards

Jackalyn
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Prayer about a book needed

Post by Jackalyn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm

I do think this has to be spiritual. I wrote a book and had to format myself. A friend came on board to edit. This book has taken four years. Every time I get things as wanted, something happens to destroy the file or corrupt it even if I send it for safekeeping. Last night I had things near perfect and sent the file in three forms to my friend. EVEN in a pdf the page numbers have changed overnight and are messed up. Page 1 became page 79 and all roman numerals in the front matter disappeared and page 2 is now page 11. It makes no sense as surely a pdf would fix it and I saw the correct page numbering with my own eyes on what I sent. This is just one of many roadblocks. I got to the stage I wanted not to print it while my friend thinks the devil hates what is written so much there is a battle. i am at the point of despair. This book is literally draining my ability to move on with my life and has been for a while. You would not believe how many times the files have disappeared, reverted to something else, etc. Yet no logical reason why.

I just want to get the thing published and move on with my life!

Thanks.

Shann

Re: Prayer about a book needed

Post by Shann » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:26 am

I will pray. I've definitely had books I have edited in the past that I think the devil was after. I also think it's very difficult to format it properly unless you've done it before (several times really). I would never attempt to do this because I'd throw the computer out the window. There are people here on FW who do know how to do formatting and would do it for a reasonable price. Are you using Smash Words or CreateSpace? Both, I believe allow do-it-yourself formatting. They also will offer to format for you. If you're going with a different company, I've heard others spend way too much money or run into problems like you're describing. I'd also encourage you to get a professional editor. If your friend does it professionally, that's great, but often people will have friends who are teachers or librarians, or big readers. They may catch some punctuation errors, typos, grammar, etc but may not know to look for things like POV shifts, consistency, authentic dialog, repitition, fact-checking, just to name a few things. So while I did say a prayer, I felt called to offer some advice.

Here are some articles that might help:
https://www.writing-world.com/publish/format.shtml
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645680
https://self-publishingschool.com/how-to-format-book/
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RedBaron

Re: Prayer about a book needed

Post by RedBaron » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Prayers for peace and guidance :)
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Return to “Prayer Requests”