Howya doin'

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Howya doin'

Post by deejay » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:48 pm

They put me back to my regular duties at church, so I have very little time to do my emails. I did the Census last week, have to get my taxes done ASAP. The July 15th deadline is coming up fast.
Someone blew up the microwave the other day, so we went a day without one. Grumbles from those who depend on it. Then we got a new one. I asked someone how many micros we've gone through in the 39 months I've been at this shelter, and he said another guy has been keeping track--18 so far. That means a microwave has a life expectancy of 2 1/2 months! That's because some clown thinks they can heat their food in foil with no problems. Wrong!

People are getting grumbly over this lockdown; we haven't had a free day out in nearly a month. Now they're saying if you have type O blood--like me--you're safe from this coronavirus; if you're type A, you're in the crosshairs. Types B and AB would be somewhere in the middle.

Face it, there are those who want this thing to continue until November, just to destroy our country. I don't believe half of what they say about the spread of this. Normally, it's a mild virus most people recover from, unless you're over 65 and/or have pre-existing health conditions. I want this lockdown to end!

The only thing that's keeping me from walking out of the shelter is the fact that if I do for any reason other than work, laundry, doctor visits and picking up meds, I can't come back in again and they'll throw my stuff out. :x

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:59 pm

I won't comment on everything you said, but since you are giving false information and as a former nurse, I feel compelled to tell you you're information is wrong. Being type O does NOT give you immunity from the virus. This is not a hoax and people of all ages are dying. You may be interested in reading this article: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... oronavirus
Remember this study is not complete. It has not been peer reviewed. People with O blood account for 25% of the virus. The reason they say it may protect you some is because 34% of population is O.
Here is an excerpt from the article :
HEALTH NEWS
Does Your Blood Type Increase Your Risk for Coronavirus?
Written by Roz Plater on June 22, 2020 — Fact checked by Maria Gifford
Experts say past studies have shown a connection between blood types and certain conditions and illnesses, but more research needs to be done on the possible link to COVID-19. Getty Images

In March, a study out of China suggested that people with type A blood might be more susceptible to getting the virus and people with type O blood might have more protection against the virus.

The reports have some experts worried that people with type A blood might panic or worry and that people with type O blood might let their guard down or get too complacent.

“These results can’t be used to lessen the serious precautions that everyone needs to take, regardless of their blood type,” Dr. Mary Cushman, MSc, a hematologist and professor at the Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont, said in March.

In the study, scientists looked at the blood types of 2,173 people who had been diagnosed with COVID-19 and compared that with the blood types of the general population in that region.

They found that in the normal population, type A was 31 percent, type B was 24 percent, type AB was 9 percent, and type O was 34 percent.

In those with the virus, type A was 38 percent, type B was 26 percent, type AB was 10 percent, and type O was 25 percent.

“Someone on social media this weekend wondered if the type O people in families should be the ones sent out for shopping, for instance,” Cushman told Healthline. “We definitely don’t want people thinking they can be protected and don’t have to take precautions because they are type O.”...
At the end of the day, we won’t know what to do about this information to prevent or treat infection,” Cushman said. “For example, I wouldn’t ease precautions for healthcare workers who are type O. This finding does not mean they are immune.”

“Everyone needs to continue washing their hands, keeping a physical distance from others, and following all the things public health experts are recommending,” she said.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:56 am

Don't look for my posts for a while -surgery coming up next week, now too painful to sit long periods in front of computer. Check with y'all again in a couple of weeks hopefully. Keep writing Christ's love. Nothing else. Period.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Will be praying Dub! My shoulder replacement surgery is next Monday (July 13) so I will be hurting along with you and will pray for you each time my pain is bad. Hugs.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Managed to get Sunday added to my work schedule, so I can go to church again! Yes, I do perform some cleaning before service.

I got some news from a cousin back East--one of my cousins, this being on Mom's side, passed away 5 years ago, and her husband was arranging travel and hotels for the ones that gave me the news, but before they could go to see my aunt and cousin, my cousin's husband had a heart attack and died. I need to contact a cousin on my dad's side to ask about the welfare of my dad's last remaining sister in Florida.

My ex-roomie CJ says she's applying for a place; hopefully when she texts me back there will be good news. I'm eager for her to get her stuff out of my storage unit. The dates are tentative, but the escrow on our current church building will close in the second week of August, the next week the escrow on our new place will close, and we will be moving to our new facility in mid-September. I'm hoping that I can get my storage unit back before the move, so I can get the stuff I've been storing in the church for the last 10 years into my unit.

Finally, it has stopped sounding like a war zone around here, though there's an occaisonal boom from someone trying to extend the Fourth.

I'm having trouble doing my taxes. I can't find my 2018 tax forms, only the instructions. Yes, I went through them thoroughly. Tried doing my taxes online, but I made a mistake and TurboTax won't let me fix it, and it won't file my returns without my 2018 returns. I'm just going to have to file for an extension, and order a copy of my 2018 tax returns. The extension will give me until mid-October. If it hadn't been for this Covid-19 thing, I could've gotten my taxes filed, and gotten my refund by this time!

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:49 pm

Hey Dub, I'm 13 weeks post-op, and although my shoulder does still ache at times and I'm still doing physical therapy, overall my surgery was a success. I've thought of you often and prayed for you to. I hope you are doing well too. :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:34 am

Still haven't received my 2018 returns, and the date for the extension has passed. Also renewed my state ID card online, they said it would get to me in two weeks, and it's now like week 11. We are moving to our new church building during these last two weeks of October; this Thursday and Friday will be my last days working at our old facility, and next Sunday is our last service here as well. My duties as janitor will change as well. There are some chores that can't be done--like picking up the trash in the parking lot, for one--at our new facility. You won't hear me complaining!
About the only things I'll miss at our new place is I won't be able to watch the ducks, etc., in the channel that runs near our old church, and at this time of year, I won't be able to do some stargazing in the mornings on my way to work. Instead of getting up at 4:45 a.m., leaving the shelter at 5:05, walking to the bus stop, taking the bus for half an hour, then walking about a mile to the church to get there by 6 a.m., I can wake up at 6, leave at 6:30, and take a 20 minute walk to get there by 7. There's construction for a new trolley line going on in the area, and I'm allowing for detours, as well as stopping to grab some breakfast.
Speaking of food, the stuff they feed us is horrendous. Complaining does no good; the county decides on everything. Worse, this food was originally intended for school children! We are all getting sick from eating it, and lately the choices have narrowed. We used to get scrambled eggs most mornings, now hardly at all. There are a couple of dishes I haven't seen in a while. I noticed last night that when I do puzzles, I'm not as sharp as I was. I do take a One A Day tablet, but even that is not enough. Whenever possible, when I'm out after work or church, I get some food that is more nutritious. Okay, it's fast food from Jack in the Box, but it's still more nutritious than the slop we're getting at the shelter. I can't wait for this stupid lockdown to end and the ministries that used to bring us food come back.

Return to “The Water Cooler”