Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:40 pm

Got to the Santa Ana train station, tried to buy a one week pass, but the TVM wouldn't accept bills. I fussed and fumed, calmed down and asked God for help. Tried coins--I didn't have enough quarters, and it wouldn't take dimes. Then I remembered I had some money left on a reloadable Amex card, so I used that for a one way ticket. Had breakfast at the cafe at the Fullerton train station, called in to work to say I would be late--and they said take the day off. :( So I'm going to have to leave extra early tomorrow, and get there early (breakfast plus buy lunch at Starbucks) tomorrow and throughout the rest of the season.

They did warn us that the devil hates what we're doing, and so we need to be prepared to get sick, have transportation issues, etc.. I did, however, buy my weekly ticket at the Fullerton station. But I'm going to reload my AMEX card, so this doesn't happen again. :wink:

Sometimes I wonder how often those TVMs are serviced. Trying to get ahold of Metrolink is an exercise in frustration. Anyway, had to take a bus to catch the one to the library in Orange, where I am now. Saturday I had over 200 emails in my box, and it took 2 1/2 hours to go through them, even after deleting the ones I don't normally read or surveys that had expired.
Keep me in prayer.

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:28 pm

We are approaching the end--our goal at Samaritan's Purse is 1.1 million shoeboxes processed, and when I left yesterday, it was over 800,000! A few memorable incidents: twice we had where someone had a really big heart, but chose to overlook the instructions for packing their shoeboxes. One had a large teddy bear in it, the lid was up, and it was all wrapped in clear plastic wrap. We went "Awwww...." but it had to be redone so as to fit into the carton, which holds15-16 shoeboxes. Another was similar, but not wrapped in plastic. It had a huge silver ribbon around it. Something like that belongs more into a boot box. The other day, while waiting for the shuttle after work, a discussion began as to who was the oldest. My friend who picks me up at the train station and drives me there said he was 61; I said I'm 63, and mentioned how in my first week I met a volunteer and his wife/daughter that said he was 101 years old. One of my co-workers said she'd spoken to him or his lady friend and he's a WWII vet, who was once the personal secretary of Gen. Douglas MacArthur! He'd told her that if he could've gone downstairs, he would've shaken the general's hand! Goes to show who you might meet when you volunteer!

Finally got my new glasses I ordered two months ago; reading has gotten easier. I no longer have to take my glasses off and close my left eye and squint to read in dim light. I was also given a pull-along suitcase (small), which I used to debulk my backpack. What a relief! The heaviest objects in my backpack are Tripod's ashes and my netbook. I currently have a head cold, but am managing okay. The last couple of nights I've felt really hot, so one night I took my two blankets out of my sleeping bag laid on top of the fleecy one and slept beneath my Native blanket. That lasted until 2 a.m., when I got cold and had to retreat back into the sleeping bag. Last night was the same thing, except I just left my sleeping bag unzipped; that lasted about an hour or so before I zipped it back up.
Got my paycheck last Thursday; they told me the rate was $15/hr., but the stub showed $16/hr.. Must be because of my years of doing similar tasks.

deejay

Post by deejay » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Well, we finished yesterday, with just over 1 million shoeboxes processed, which is a record for our facility. My church is giving those of us who are employed there a two-week paid vacation in lieu of a Christmas bonus; I just have to go in, empty the dishwasher and dish rack and put away the clean dishes, empty the trash and restock the bathrooms. But I may also pick up the trash in the parking lot as well, just to keep it from looking like a dump.

The chaplain at Samaritan's Purse gave me a new coat, a Tommy Hilfinger one that is like two jackets in one. She also gave me more Mucinex DM for the remnant of my cold. And a co-worker bought me a copy of Franklin Graham's book, "Through My Father's Eyes", as well as a prayer journal I got for a friend of mine at the shelter. My case manager gave me an assessment for rapid rehousing/permanent housing, and I just need to get my health care provider to confirm I have high blood pressure and NASH to complete it. I sure hope I can get into a permanent place--I don't want to bounce from one shelter to another.

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:25 pm

I was going through my backpack last night, and it seems I have received a few surprise gifts. First I found a small tube of toothpaste, then a pack of flushable wipes, and finally a copy of a book by Greg Laurie about getting through sorrow. Now I wonder how those got in there? :wink: :lol:

As soon as I check the link, I'll try to post the video of the closing ceremony at Samaritan's Purse, which hopefully will include our flash mob. Please don't crash the site!

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Hmmmm.Tried to put the link to the closing ceremony--which did not include our flashmob--and when I tried to test it, I couldn't access it. Maybe if I check Youtube....

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Last week, I dropped my phone, and it only gives a white screen when turned on. When I close it--it's a flip phone-- I get the signal strength, time and battery status, but that's it. So I went to my carrier's website and bought a new one. My old one was a pile of junk Alcatel; my new one is a Motorola. My first phone was a Motorola, and they're a good brand. I'm still getting acquainted with it, because it's 4G and an Android phone, with a QWERTY keyboard. Nice for texting! I just need to take my old phone to a tech to try to get my contacts and hopefully my photos off of it before I recycle it.

Return to “The Water Cooler”