Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:55 pm

I just posted on the Praise Report thread--go read it. I think y'will like it, and praise the Lord with me!

I can't believe it's the only post there; that used to be a lively thread.

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 pm

The couple from church say I need a higher income. And the kitty I wanted is no longer on the market. Please pray I get more work so I can afford a place.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:38 am

I'm really happy that this will help you want to find a higher paying or full-time job. I know how important pets can be and how much they can help us feel better physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I also realize you wouldn't want to take in a pet until you knew for sure you could afford the expenses of being a reliable guardian to a cat and had a long-term, reliable, and safe place to live.

I know LA offers many jobs for people who are homeless. If this is really important to you, I'd urge you to go up and down the street everywhere the bus can take you or within walking distance and apply at every establishment. It doesn't matter if you have pre-formed notions about who they will hire or what job you'd enjoy. If you really want your own place and a cat, then go out and fill out at least 10 applications a day. That's a realistic and achievable goal. I know Allison helped you with your resume too, so print some up and literally go door to door. It won't be easy, but having a better paying job, a stable income, and the dream of being able to have a kitty again will make it worth it. You might need to work 40-60 hours a week, but it will be a start to getting that cat you've yearned for.

I'll be praying that God gives you the strength to do just that.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Hey Puppers, if you're out there lurking, please pop in. We need you.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Yeah, it's just not the same without you! We love and miss you!

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Did I hear my name? :D Heh. I've been lurking a bit lately. How have you all been?
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:34 pm

I am always talking...errrr...i mean thinking :mrgreen: of you! I miss having everyone on and catching up with ya all. I'm going to spend the afternoon with my 2 granddaughters. Payton us 3 and Lyncoln is already 7 months! Man time sure flies. In December, we are going to go on another cruise. This time Lyd is joining us. She'll celebrate her 25 birthday on board. I'm excited about it. PT is helping me with my pain and mobility quite a bit. I'm hoping to really build my strength up before the cruise. Although a nice thing about cruising is I can just chill on the boat while Lyd and Chris explore the ports of call and for me a great vacation is snuggling up and reading a good book. And have someone else make the food and do the clean up. I doubt I'll be able to rock climb, do a simulation parachute jump, simulate surfing, or do the aerials training (oh I want to so bad! But know my body would be angry), but I can watch Lyd attempt those things and I'll enjoy the shows (especially comedy and magic ones) and they have bumper cars, an escape room, go up in North Star which gives you a 365 degree view 300 feet above 14 story boat, and roller skating (okay last one probably can't do, but I'm working on building strength, stamina, and balance! Mainly though I expect to just relax and people watch, maybe swim and hang out in whirlpool too.

How are you doing, Allison
Shann

Shann's Profile

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Sounds good!

I'm doing pretty well, but you can be praying for my dad.

He was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia a few years ago, which is actually related to Parkinson's. A couple of weeks ago, he had a sudden decline in functioning where he basically went from being able to walk around the house on his own (albeit slowly and with a walker at times) one day to being unable to walk or stand at all by the end of the next. He did have a few falls prior to this, but never hurt himself. Stroke, head injury (he did fall again), etc. have been ruled out. We think it's just a progression of the dementia, but it's never been this sudden or drastic before. Mentally, he's in "his own world" as my mom describes it, most of the time. It's difficult to know how aware of the real world he it, including if he knows who family is. We've gotten great support from his VA health care team (despite what you may hear about VA healthcare in the news) and are working with them to make things work once he comes home from the rehab center. My mom has been and will continue to be primary caretaker.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Deginiteky will be praying.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:52 pm

When I got up at 5:30 this morning to use the restroom, I noticed fire, police and paramedics out front. As I came back, I saw police tape across the entrance. Later, I asked a staff member what happened, and she said there was couple outside--people camp outside the shelter because either 1.) they caused trouble and were exited for a certain length of time or 2.) left and came back, but we don't have a bed for them--and the wife had died. It's been cold and foggy at night lately, and lots of people in the shelter have a variety of health problems. I don't know the medical history of this woman--didn't know her or her husband--so it could've been anything from pneumonia to a pre-existing medical issue to it was her time to go. I don't know how old she was or anything. I think that's the first death we've had since last Christmas.

I can't wait for this midterm election to end--sick of the ads, all the signs begging us to vote for this or that candidate or issue. I mailed my mail-in ballot out this morning.

We have new showers, and they're very nice. My only complaints are the stalls are still too small for someone my size, and only one hook to hang clothes on, plus there's still a cord you have to pull, despite the fact there's an adjustable handle. And the water is still cold. They should use the cold water for laundry--which is why there's no hot water for the showers--and let the showers use hot water. I went 3 weeks without a shower, using wipes only, because staff took too long to help me get clean clothes out of my bin in storage, that I missed getting a shower. Finally got one Saturday. Luckily, I don't seem to stink--even though the days have been warm. But I still wish I had access to a bathtub.

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanksgiving was something else. If you went outside, there were literally hordes of people with food, blankets, clothing, toiletries, you name it, out there. I was feeling a bit unwell, so I mostly stayed in. I heard there was a group giving out gift cards, second chance lottery tickets, and $5 bills. Another group handed out cans of food with a $20 bill wrapped around it. Didn't hear about that one until later. Had breakfast, skipped lunch--took a nap instead--and ate dinner. After breakfast I went to 7-11 for a cup of coffee; between lunch and dinner I went there for a bottle of 7-Up for my tummy. That did the trick. By the time dinner came, I was feeling okay.

My friend Debbie gave me a gray knit cap, and it helps a bit with the cold weather. Wore my heavy winter coat on Thanksgiving. I sent a birthday card, then bought a gift on Amazon for my grandnephew's first birthday. I'm hoping to make it to Saver's after payday to buy a jacket and a sweater to replace those in my suitcase that was stolen. Rain is coming later this week--specifically, on the days I work. I have a cheap plastic poncho, but it's going to start getting cold.

Something weird has been happening at work--on the west end of the church building, there's a gym. There's Astroturf for the workout area, and periodically it has to be vacuumed. Well, I use a Sebo vacuum cleaner; there's also a Hoover, but I don't like it. Better a German-made vac (Sebo) than a Chinese made one! Anyway, last week, I started to vacuum the turf. Plugged it in, turned it on, and POP! I didn't see any sparks, but the plug of the Sebo gained a rattle in it. Never happened before. Then it wouldn't work! Tried the Hoover--no go. This week I tried the Hoover with a different extension cord, and it worked okay--until it needed a new bag. Changed the bag, turned it back on, and discovered the beater bar wasn't spinning. The belts were okay, so I lubricated the ends, tried again, and while on its back the bar spun, but when I stood it up, it wasn't spinning again! Sunday I tried the Sebo again, without an extension cord, and it was okay. I'm not a fan of Hoovers; they are not reliable, and fixing them isn't worth it. I speak from experience. But it's going to get looked at. But I still think it was weird. Maybe it's the extension cord....

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Vacuum cleaners don't like me. Probably more specifically the fur from my dogs and cats, but I go through belts and vacuums way more than most. Sometimes I try to pick up things I should bend over and pick up but because it's hard to do that. I can't believe your church has ASTRO turf and a workout area. It must be way bigger than mine (our weekly attendance is 30 to 50). I don't think I would like a huge church, but then remember I live in a county where cows outnumber people.
Speaking of my church. We have a depression /anxiety support group on the 3rd Wed of the month. The guy who runs it is the sweetest guy ever. I totally forgot it was the 3rd Wed. Usually he or the other person who goes usually texts me to remind me. I got a call on Thanksgiving morning from the minister. Turns out only the organizer showed up and when he didn't co e home or answer the phone, his wife came and found him unconscious. He passed away a few hours later. It turns out he had a ruptured aneurysm (Same thing Mom died from). I feel so bad I didn't go, that he was alone, that his wife found him. I know he'd tell me God planned it that way, but it's still hard. Before I found out it was a ruptured aneurysm, I kept thinking what if? I know now I probably wouldn't have been able to do much, but it still hurts.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Vacuum cleaners don't like me. Probably more specifically the fur from my dogs and cats, but I go through belts and vacuums way more than most. Sometimes I try to pick up things I should bend over and pick up but because it's hard to do that. I can't believe your church has ASTRO turf and a workout area. It must be way bigger than mine (our weekly attendance is 30 to 50). I don't think I would like a huge church, but then remember I live in a county where cows outnumber people.
Speaking of my church. We have a depression /anxiety support group on the 3rd Wed of the month. The guy who runs it is the sweetest guy ever. I totally forgot it was the 3rd Wed. Usually he or the other person who goes usually texts me to remind me. I got a call on Thanksgiving morning from the minister. Turns out only the organizer showed up and when he didn't co e home or answer the phone, his wife came and found him unconscious. He passed away a few hours later. It turns out he had a ruptured aneurysm (Same thing Mom died from). I feel so bad I didn't go, that he was alone, that his wife found him. I know he'd tell me God planned it that way, but it's still hard. Before I found out it was a ruptured aneurysm, I kept thinking what if? I know now I probably wouldn't have been able to do much, but it still hurts.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:49 pm

How awful for your group organizer and his family! There was a couple in our church who showed up in electric wheelchairs--don't know what their health issue was--and they were the sweetest ever. Whenever we had time for prayer, the husband would say, "Please pray for my sweetie first," and his wife would say the same thing for him. The wife passed away last week. They were accompanied by their nurses, now it's just him and his nurse.

I think the reason I get along so well with the Sebo vacuum is because we're both German, so we understand each other. :mrgreen:

Seriously, has anyone gone to the website of a company and looked at their history? One time I looked up Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben's, and Cream of Wheat, because they featured black people on their labels. Though all were founded by whites, the origins of the black people on their labels is interesting.

Sebo vacuums was founded in the late 70s, and for several years they didn't put their name on their vacuums; I don't know why. But then after 1991--maybe it had to do with the reunification of Germany?--they started putting their name on their vacuums. They're mainly for the hotel and hospital trade, but they are best at picking up pet hair and allergens. So they would be great in the home--if rather pricey. Last time I looked up the one we use at church, it was $900--and worth it! They're tough!

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Getting excited and nervous about upcoming vacation. Hubby, Lyd, and I are going on a cruise to celebrate Lyd's 25th birthday. The shop is sold out so I worry about it feeling too crowded. When we went last year, we went on one of the slowest times of the year. It wasn't too crowded, but now we are going on New Year's week (busiest time), but since Lyd is a teacher we have to go when she can go. It will be nice to go to a warmer (hopefully FL and Bahamas will be warmer than upstate NY!) and it'll be nice to have Lyd there. She'll be able to do things with me that Chris isn't crazy about and go with Chris to things that are hard for me to do. And of course, Chris and I will be able to have some alone time too. We are going on a different cruise line too. This one is a bit fancier, newer, bigger, and has cool things like simulated skidiving and surfing, rock climbing, escape room, bumper cars, roller skating, bionic bar and North Star (a glass lift that goes up 300 feet up in air on top of a 14-story ship that allows you to see for a really long time). I probably won't be able to do most of those things that sound cool, but I'm going to enjoy dreaming about them.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to “The Water Cooler”