To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Shann » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

I think this might work better in an individual thread in the water cooler since not everyone reads the posts in here. I say go for it and see if you get any takers. My tablet is broken right now so I have to sit at desk or use my phone, which is much harder for me.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby deejay » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm

I figured the suggestion would be seen better here. Fiction Forum, I presume?

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Know what? I just checked the last Neverending Story, and it wasn't finished! Let's finish it, and start a new one....

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 pm

I finished the last Neverending Story, and started a new one.

Yesterday morning, I tripped on a neighbor's backpack, fell and sprained my left arm. My knees were hit, below the kneecaps, but aren't that sore. Taking my shower this morning was a bit of a challenge, as is going to the bathroom. Worst is trying to put my waistpurse on. Went to work--phone was dead so I couldn't call in--and pastors Brian and Terry said rest all you need. So I went online, did my email, looked up treating a sprain, and tried to find an urgent care clinic that takes my provider of Cal-Optima. One place was not a Cal-Optima provider; another place didn't do walk-ins; a third place they sent me to didn't take my Cal-Optima provider. They gave me a sheet with another clinic on it, but I just gave up, went to Rite Aid and, after seeing they wanted $31 for a sling, said forget that and bought a set of 3 dish towels and a box of 50 safety pins and made my own sling.
Definitely am going to change my provider.

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:05 pm

Took me a week, but finally went to see my doctor. He sent me for x-rays. Yesterday at church I got my arm and right knee prayed for, and I can use my arm, though it and the knee are still a bit sore. I was getting sick of that sling, anyway; it attracted bedbugs, and as a result was spotted with blood from when I killed the disgusting little pests. They stink to high heaven when crushed, too.
The pest control came out Saturday, but we still have bedbugs; I've seen them drop from the ceiling.
And trying to talk with Miss Doris, who runs the shelter, got nowhere; today she was in a rotten mood, blaming us for having what she considers to be too much stuff being the reason we have bedbugs.
Yesterday I came home from church and shopping to find my suitcase missing from the end of my bed. This morning a witness said they saw my the staff rolling up the bed of someone who had left, and they took my suitcase by mistake. I have asked for it back, but they say I can't have it by my bed. Everything either goes into our bins for storage or it goes under our beds.
Look, I've been here for 15 months; at first, I was told it was okay for me to have my suitcase by my bed. Then I was told to put it in my bin. I did, but because of the bottom of the bin has space carved out to fit the wheels, my suitcase didn't quite fit. The lid wouldn't close all the way. It was like that for a year, then I was told to take my suitcase out so the lid would close. Now they say it has to be under my bed (won't fit) or in storage. And there's stuff in my suitcase that is used frequently, and half the time when I want to get stuff out, nobody's there when they should be. Consistency would be nice; or as I was taught growing up, do things right or don't do them at all. I wish they would make up their minds, but it's like they don't have any to make up. I wish I could get out of this stupid shelter.

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:11 pm

I believe in the prayer forum I stated that my suitcase now lies in the bottom of a landfill. I am doing my best to replace the most important things. My sprained arm is almost healed, but still hurts when I do certain things. Because I used up all my sick time, Pastor Brian and the church council have decided to pay me for the time I was out after I ran out of sick time. Also, I have new responsibilities. Still janitorial, but a shorter list. Cobwebbing inside and out, dusting window sills, checking and restocking bathrooms, picking up trash in parking lot, collecting and taking the trash to the dumpster are still there, additions are cleaning the fridges, exterminating gophers, scraping up gum on front walkway and I need to learn how to scan stuff into the computer system.They have also given me the western area next to the gym as a practice farm to grow crops in. First I have to measure the area, clean it up, create some kind of barrier to protect it, test the soil, find out what to plant this time of year, amend the soil, and plan the actual garden then start planting.

Sadly, yesterday a small plane crashed in a shopping center near--about a mile-- from my church. After I got out of church, someone took me to a fast-food restaurant, where I had lunch. The crash took place while I was there, but I saw nor heard anything. It wasn't until several hours later after I'd finished buying a few things at a nearby Target store that I saw the police, barricades going up, traffic diverted. Yellow tape was everywhere. I thought maybe there had been a shooting at the Vons supermarket nearby. I asked a man, and he said a plane had crashed in the parking lot of the Staples office supply store. Nobody on the ground was injured, but an unoccupied car was totaled when the plane landed on it, and all five people on board were killed. It occurred at 12:30 p.m., so it had to have happened while I was eating lunch. My attention at that time was on a very large yellow rubber duckie on top of a car sitting in traffic. There had been a couple of helicopters hovering overhead, though. Later, I tuned the FM radio on my cell phone to a news channel, which said the plane was coming in from San Francisco when the pilot reported an emergency, lost control and crashed. I was reading the comments on the article on Yahoo News this morning, and most were respectful. Notice I said most, but I digress. A few people who had experience flying the type of plane in question said it was a beast to manage, definately not for beginners. The TV news this morning confirmed the pilot had lost control before crashing. Many commenters pointed out the fact that there was no fire proved the plane was out of gas, and the way it fell--straight down--showed the pilot tried to pull out of a stall, which was ill-advised. Pray for those affected by this tragedy.

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:42 am

The plane crash sounds horrible. So sad that five people died. They must have been terrified.

Hey Deejay, how many hours a week do you work? I've been talking to a friend who is needing someone to help clean and I may have to go down that avenue myself. It made me wonder if you couldn't get some private cleaning jobs to help you be able to get an apartment sooner.

You're very blessed that the church is paying you for time you didn't have. I don't think I've ever had a part-time job that offered sick time, although in fairness, except when I was a kid, I haven't had many part-time jobs.

My Mom was a school bus driver and broke her foot trying to break up a fight between two boys on the morning bus run and was back to work, double-clutching and all that stuff bus drivers need to do. I'm not sure if her cast was even fully dry. People like her a rare find these days. I miss her so much. I can't believe next week will be 25 years since she died. Man that was a horrible week. On Friday (the 13th for you superstitious folks) my grandmother died; on Saturday I was admitted to hospital (I was pregnant with Lyd and couldn't stop throwing up); Sunday was calling hours, Monday the funeral. On Tuesday, we received happy news and I had my last real conversation with Mom to tell her the baby was a girl, and on Wednesday, Mom's aneurysms ruptured.

Normally this time of year is super hard for me but I'm trying to rejoice in my beautiful granddaughters.

Hey Puppers, I hope you're out there reading this. We miss you so much. I've been thinking and praying for you. I know July is a hard time for you too so I was praying and continue to pray for you. You are loved and missed.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm

I read later posts on the plane crash; firefighters were cleaning up jet fuel, so there goes the empty tank theory.

I'm paid on a salary basis, so my actual hours vary, but I figure it's based on 16 hours a week @ $10.48/hr., as companies with fewer than 25 employees don't qualify for the $11/hr. minimum wage rule. I really am burned out on cleaning; besides, I tried going through a maid service, and apparently they only hire Latinas. That's the way it is around here. I'm totally serious.

Last night, when count was being taken, the staffer asked me what my resident badge number was, along with my first and last name; then he asked who I was working with, I said I'd had an intern who finished her internship and passed me on to someone who wouldn't even talk to me. He said I'm on someone else's client list, and to meet with her, because I've been here too long (16 months). I said yes sir, so I'd better find her tomorrow morning--she's only there in the morning. So, pray I get something soon that I can afford.

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Another lady from City Net contacted me, and we were supposed to do the homeless assessment yesterday, but she got sick. We've rescheduled for tomorrow morning. For some reason, something like this never fails to happen.

I turned 62 last Friday, and Pastor Brian gave me the iPad we used to use for clocking in and out on. It had been wiped clean, so now I, a dedicated Windows user, has to figure out how to use an Apple product.
I'm out of money until Wednesday, and from that I have to pay storage--which has gone up--as well as try to replace more stuff--at least the scale--that was in my suitcase. And I use adult diapers, and I have only one left. Hopefully that will last until I get paid and can get to the store to get more. I tried getting them from staff, but the kind they had were the ones with tabs, and I could not get the darn thing together. It was so frustrating, I gave them back.
I've tried in the past to get extra work, but it seems God doesn't want me to.
I still have to figure out how to organize the space on the west end of the church to use as a farm. Of course, it's too late for warm weather crops, so I guess it'll be like radishes and carrots.

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Ran out of my usual probiotic gummies, and started using a sample of Align that was given to me by a food ministry months ago. Let's just say it doesn't treat my innards very well. Found out that my last paycheck in a month arrives on the end of the month, not the 29th as it used to. Talk about stretching it! But God has been good.
A couple of weeks ago, I was passing the shopping center where the plane crashed, and took a couple of pictures with my phone. It's still roped off, but the blacktop has only a shallow dent in it. And of course, a memorial has been set up with flowers, candles and notes.
Started cleaning up the area for my practice farm. This week I plan to go after the weeds, but the crab grass is gonna be a booger. Once I figure out where tree roots, etc., are I can do final planning. There's a gardening book I have a copy of, but I'm sure it's buried somewhere in my stuff in the danger room at church. The library has a copy of it, but it's checked out. The two other branches that also have copies are too far away. I guess I better get digging in my stuff.

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Put a hold on the book I needed, got it Saturday, and wrote down all the information I needed.

Has anyone heard anything from JesusPuppy? I'm getting really concerned over him. Tried his email address--or maybe it was his website--in his profile, but it's not working.
I have his snailmail address, but I think he's moved since then.

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 pm

I have not heard from him in quite a while. I've reached out and know he got my PM, but never heard back. Try sending him a forum PM. You can tell if he's opened it. I think he needs to know how much he is still loved.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Done.

Previous

Return to The Water Cooler