Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Shann » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:30 am

I'm so sorry about your aunt Becky. Hugs

I've been struggling with my blood pressure. ItsIt's been quite high even with meds.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by deejay » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Just coming up for air after a series of dramatic events in my household, battling the last vestiges of a head cold, and going through the "dating period" in preparation of our church "marrying" another church next month, plus a couple of friends at my church are getting married next month as well.

Upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and it has its pluses and minuses. The pluses are: faster boot up and shut down, interesting icons--one is a book that appears in the upper right of the screen next to the search field; when you're reading a web page, the pages of the book flip occasionally.

The minuses are I get notifications that I've lost my internet connection, but when I check it, it's still connected, I can't seem to find my VIPRE antimalware on the computer--contacted VIPRE and they gave me a fix, I just have to go back to my mail and look at it again, and I've had a hard time connecting to skyviewcafe.com, one of my favorite astronomy sites, because it uses Java, and when I tried to access it, I kept getting sent back to the Java download page. Since I don't like Firefox, I tried upgrading to Internet Explorer 11, but I need to check to see if it "took".

Luckily, I'm smart, so I just had to use my noodle to figure out how to do things. Another minus is that I like to play solitaire on my netbook, and they changed the version I was using. The cards are different, as well as smaller, and it can be a bear to get the cards to click over to where they need to be. Several different versions, and the one I was playing was Klondike. Frankly, I liked the old cards better. They had pictures of the four seasons, one per suit, that were very pretty and even incorporated the suit--heart, diamond, club, spade--into the picture. When you win a game, the cards either become like butterflies, or fireworks, or they bounce, making an entire line of themselves.
Another thing--sometimes when scrolling, it goes too fast--like on here.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Rebecky wrote:I can't, I burn within 10 minutes.

My great-aunt passed away on September 20th. My grandpa is taking it very hard.
My condolences.
deejay wrote:
Upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and it has its pluses and minuses.
Another thing--sometimes when scrolling, it goes too fast--like on here.
Let us know after you've used 10 for a bit. Was the upgrade worth it! Eventually they're retiring IE.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Finally managed to access skyviewcafe.com. First I had to check to make sure IE 11was on my machine, via instructions on the Microsoft community forum; it was. I then tried to download Java, but it wouldn't load completely; I kept getting error messages that weren't in the Java error list. So finally I downloaded Java offline, and though I had to prod it a bit, it was by this means that I finally was able to see skyviewcafe.com!
Microsoft says Edge, which is the search engine for Win10, is compatible with Java, which Java says as well, starting with 8.51v. Skyviewcafe.com is a Java applet, but when I tried to access it through Edge, Java said I had to either go to IE11 or Firefox. I'll hang onto IE11 as long as I can, even though I'm not that fond of Firefox. Only when IE11 goes bye-bye will I switch to FF.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:03 pm

Man it's been a tough week. Chris hit a kid and his bike. The light was green for Chris, but the kid darted in front of him. No one was hurt though so huge relief. My BP has been dangerously high. Q's truck died. It'll cost more to fix it then it did to but it. He doesn't know what to do. He has to have a car. He was hoping truck would last through Divinity school. M started new job on Monday and she was shadowing co-worker and a kid rear-ended them bad. She went to hospital via ambulance. She's sore, but again everyone is okay. God is good.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Tried to do the fix for VIPRE Internet Security, but my firewall still won't come up. Not good.
Plus trying to scroll up, and sometimes down, as a real pain. I think I'll send MS a tech support request.
At home, things are going downhill in regards to our landlady. A few days ago her and her brother were at the house, and they took away the door separating the two sides of the house, which is a security concern for us. Then she had us served with a 60 day eviction notice. CJ and Diane are on the waiting list for Section 8 subsidized housing, but they're on the Garden Grove list, and we're in Santa Ana. Worse, because of their medical issues, there's only one apartment community for the handicapped, and it has a 10+ year waiting list. I think they have 4 years or so left to wait. Orange County has four housing programs: for the cities of Anaheim, Garden Grove, and Santa Ana, plus the county of Orange, which last accepted applications in the last two weeks of February, 2012. OCHA is for the other cities throughout the OC.
But CJ has been keeping good records ever since we moved in, and she also found our landlady has 20 years of code violations on our property. This should prove interesting.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:27 am

You how, Puppers, you out there? It's been like forever and I miss you and am worried.

Becky, I've been thinking of you and praying for your familyfamily. I know how hard a death can be. Know I'm praying for you and am here any time night or day if you need to talk. Hugs and love.

For you who don't follow FW, Amy's grandfather is doing quite poorly. It's been a horrible roller coaster ride for them.

Howdy to the rest of ya'all and I miss so many of you. Wish you'd all come back. :grouphug :grouphug :loveyou :loveyou :grouphug :grouphug
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:14 am

Shann wrote:You how, Puppers, you out there?
Ya I am still alive, it's just been a rough week, and next week will likely be just as bad. Worse actually, I only get one day off from work and that wil be spent helping the landlord. :roll:

Oh well.. I do try to take a few moments in the evening to veg out and watch the sun set. :mrgreen:

Kiddo.. Praying for you, and grandpa. It is always the ones left behind that feel the worst pains. :(
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 am

Just to let you all know Sparrow's grandfather passed away yesterday. It was her mom's daddad. They didn't want it on FB but said I could tell you so you can pray.

Glad to see you pop in Pup. I was going to send out a search party, uh once I figured out how to get to Oregon. How hard can it be, go west young man, right? But I'm not young and definitely not a man, so I wasn't sure. :clown (the clown still looks like a pig to me.)
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:56 am

Pass along my condolences. So sad to hear of such things, but we all know he is in a better place. Like I always say... It is the ones left behind that feel it the most. :(

Well the rains have started in here, with me working out in it. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:25 am

JesusPuppy wrote:
Rachel.. be careful of some of those agencies, they will rip you off. I know, you know better than to let them, just be careful.
Thanks, Pup! I've read up on scams and intend on being savy. :D
Shann wrote:Man it's been a tough week. Chris hit a kid and his bike. The light was green for Chris, but the kid darted in front of him. No one was hurt though so huge relief. My BP has been dangerously high. Q's truck died. It'll cost more to fix it then it did to but it. He doesn't know what to do. He has to have a car. He was hoping truck would last through Divinity school. M started new job on Monday and she was shadowing co-worker and a kid rear-ended them bad. She went to hospital via ambulance. She's sore, but again everyone is okay. God is good.
Oh wow! I'm sorry, Shann! We had a similar mishap last Sunday. We were driving home from a church function at night, and we hit a deer. Thankfully we stayed on the road and no one was hurt, but the deer died. It was pretty traumatic for everyone. Insurance thinks the van in a right off, but they haven't told us for sure yet.

Shann wrote:Just to let you all know Sparrow's grandfather passed away yesterday. It was her mom's daddad. They didn't want it on FB but said I could tell you so you can pray.
I'm so sorry to hear that. My grandfather passed away this spring. Sometimes I'm still shocked that he's gone.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Rachel! So happy to see you pop in! :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:28 pm

This past week my friend Michelle's mom passed away. You should've seen the pictures and stories of her life. She left her family at 15 to take a train by herself to become a governess. She went to radio school and worked for Western Union for some time. She married 3 times, the third one was the charm. But she mainly found success in real estate. One day she was showing Jenny Craig--before she became a diet guru--some houses, and there was a house across the street from her own that she showed Jenny. Jenny liked the house, but when she saw Mary's house (Michelle's mom), she liked it even better. So Jenny Craig bought Mary's house, and Mary moved across the street. This worked fine until the day Michelle's brother came home from college, went to the former house and walked in on Jenny. She was charming and polite, and informed him his mother now lived across the street. Such an amazing life.

Frankly, I hope I get raptured instead of dying because most of my stuff has been lost or thrown out, so I wouldn't have as much for people to see.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Howdy folks. We oriented 3 new nurses so things are looking up. I started Christmas shopping done yesterday and something for me, an R2-D2 bobble head, you know the little droid in Star Wars. :lol:
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

wheelygirl58
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by wheelygirl58 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:51 pm

Hey, everyone! I am back!! I had 'dropped' out due to m.s.- related fatigue, but I'm here now! So very glad to see familiar names! :D
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 This is,another of my life verses!!

Return to “The Water Cooler”