Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Shann » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Hey Becky are you lurking out there? Come out and play. It was so nice to get a text from you the other day.

Congratulations Allison on placing 1st overall in the challenge!! Happy Dance!!

Pup, nice to see you again. How are you feeling. Becky and I talked about you. We talked about hating to go to the doctor and your name just shot in my head.

I got in touch with Leah. It's been a while since I heard from her. She told me I could update you all. She is enjoying her new job. She likes being off on the weekends, but is super busy.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Shann wrote:Hey Becky are you lurking out there? Come out and play. It was so nice to get a text from you the other day.

Congratulations Allison on placing 1st overall in the challenge!! Happy Dance!!

Pup, nice to see you again. How are you feeling. Becky and I talked about you. We talked about hating to go to the doctor and your name just shot in my head.

I got in touch with Leah. It's been a while since I heard from her. She told me I could update you all. She is enjoying her new job. She likes being off on the weekends, but is super busy.
Yeah, I really am still here. Thanks, Shann. I seriously thought this one was terrible at first. Just goes to show that sometimes we can be surprised by our own writing. :D
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by Rebecky » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:37 am

I'm lurking...

I went to the doctor on Monday for a physical, first time since 2007. My doctor put me on prescription medicine for my acid reflux and I have a liquid I have to take before every meal and at bed time.
Yesterday, they called and told me I have a vitamin D deficiency. Normal levels is between 35 and 100 but ideally they want it between 50 and 70, mine is 19.6..... so I was put on a Prescription for 50,000 units of Vitamin D once a week for 12 weeks as well as OTC Vitamin D3 of 5,000 units daily and Calcium 600MG twice daily for the rest of my life.

I now I know why pup avoids the doctor :P
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:57 pm

See. And they will just tell you something else is wrong when the time comes, and add in even more stuff for you to try. And most time, they have no idea if it is actually going to work. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Congrats on the new job, Pup! :o

I was going to submit my little story to the Challenge but discovered I ran out of credits.

I've been a lazy writer of late, just feel uninspired. Maybe I need to get my YA book published in an ebook. I shouldn't let that hold me back to do other writing projects.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:02 am

Kind of bummed tonight. :(

Spent the afternoon watching videos with the kids, that was a lot of fun, then the normal two hours trying to leave.... :mrgreen: The little one has picked up her big sisters way of climbing on my back to try keeping me there, she just does not get the fact she weighs absolutely nothing and me standing up and walking across their living room took no trouble at all, until my sweet little Slug joined in. It was actually a lot of fun.

But now I am bummed, Slug starts back to school tomorrow (school field trip) and the little Monkey starts preschool on Thursday. :shock: She is only three. Wont be four for a few months yet. I said she was toooo young to be going to school, even if their mom is the preschool teacher. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Ahh Pup, I'm sending you hugs. I get it. I'm trying to talk myself into venturing out and making friends in my area instead of just cyber ones. I just realized there's a women's dinner tonight. The thought of going just made me anxious.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Over here we have an age cut off date for school. For instance, my youngest niece's birthday is September 30th and misses the cut off date by 29 days, so when she was four, turning 5, she still couldn't start Kindergarten because of the cutoff date, they have to be 5 by September 1st. So she didn't start Kindergarten until she was almost 6. So by the time she graduates High school she'll be almost 19 and almost a whole year older than the rest of her class.
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:58 pm

I think that cutoff makes more sense than ours (December 1) because we start school here after labor day and that would mean all the kids (for the most part) would be the same age.

The same thing happened to LydLyd. Her birthday is December 30 so she was one of the oldest kids in her class. It was frustrating because she was ready to start the year before. She was 18 when she graduated, but everyone who had a birthday after June and before December were 17.

Ive often said the cutoff should either be December 31, so all kids were born in the year or August 31 so they would all be the same age 5 turning 6. Maybe June 30 or July 1 would make sense too because that's when school ends here, so if you would have to wait until you were 5 before starting. My sister and I both started kindergarten when we were 4 and then I turned 5 two weeks in and she turned 5 in November. She was the youngest in her class.

No matter what the deadline is, there will be kids who will be almost a year older than the youngest. Personally I think it should be when the kid is ready. Although now with preschool being offered for free for everyone, the kids are going at 4 (or some 3 if their birthdays are in September, October or November) which seems like a long day for some. Here they go all day. Kids are expected to be reading or have a good foundation by the time they start kindergarten. I wish they could test them and start them when ready (mentally, emotionally, cognitively).

Because Q had a significant language delay, he started at age 2. He only went 2 hours two or three times a week, but as he got older it was longer. He needed it.

M was advanced as far as what she knew, but many of her classmates didn't know numbers, shapes, colors or ABC s, so she had to wait for them to catch up. She hated it, complaining it was so boring. I think she daydreamer while the others caught up and then it was a habit so she missed some core learning skills and struggled for awhile.

Lyd could read (partly because she wanted to learn so I taught her and partly because of the late birthday), so they pulled her out to do 1st grade reading and math. That didn't help a lot because then in 1st grade she was asked to help the other kids (I'm all for thstthat, but still teach my child too). Instead of pulling her out, why didn't tjust put her in 1st grade?

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.

Yay Becky! I'm so excited to see you pop inin! :party :party :party
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:33 pm

I think they should check the kids as they start pre-school age, 3-4, if they are developed educationally, reading, writing... they should place them in a grade then. If tested at preschool and they are further along in their level of learning they should go straight to First instead of Kingergarden. Some naturally excel at learning things, some have to try harder and need that extra time to learn how to learn, if you understand me.

If a smart kid at 4 follows along in school... doing JUST what the teacher tells them, never doing the extra to learn more... by the time they graduate they will be no smarter than the slow learner who tried hard. Home schooling you can regulate that some, but in most public schools..? :roll:

Worked on metal roof with the landlord today. It is set to where he can get most of the rest of it himself, just slower. I will help where I can but... anything hard pressed for me old bones, I ain't gonna.

( See Shann I DO think about my health. :P )

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:43 pm

So glad to hear it Pup.

I went to the doc myself this week. My BP is scary high with symptoms
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59 pm

I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks and i'll have to go again before the end of the year to have my blood retested to see what my vitamin d level is at.
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Sunshine and exersize is what you need, but here... it's cloudy and raining. Not much for exersizing in the rain. It is alway so..... wet. :roll: Now if rain was warm and dry with lots of sun shining down. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:43 pm

:book2

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:51 am

I can't, I burn within 10 minutes.

My great-aunt passed away on September 20th. My grandpa is taking it very hard.
Dum Spiro Spero

Return to “The Water Cooler”