Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Shann » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:47 pm

I'm laughing!!!! It was below zero here earlier. :mrgreen: That is cold though and probably has done damage to crops and stuff that I'll pay for in the future.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

AnneRene'
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by AnneRene' » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:36 am

Calico-Shann..... :nono2 and :fingerwag Now quit your laughing...us lightweights out here still get all the aches in pains that go with temperatures in the 40's and below....PLUS, we just ain't used to it, SO IT'S WORSE for us. :brrr :brrr :brrr Ok, enough of the scolding....your "ole goat" thingy is pretty gol darn funny!

Image Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO him. :tongue S

Beakers.... :grouphug :grouphug2 :grouphug3 Praying for you and all your loved ones through this rough ordeal. It's soooo painful to loose those you love and worse to watch them walk through these trials.

Miss Amykins...if you get around to reading this....praying for you honey and sending this hug for you too!

And last but not least....Miss Leahkins! So nice to hear from you and share in your joy about your new job and hours along with the new move.....working nights and graveyard shifts definitely takes a toll on your personal life.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:59 am

Leah, I'm so glad you popped in and things are going well for you! Do you miss OB? I worked in a college women's health clinic after I left the hospital. It was nice because I don't have any experience other than women's health.

Did you hear I'm going to be a Grandma? M is having a girl in May. She's due 5/5/15. Think I can talk her into pushing out a 5-5 baby on her due date at 5:55? How cool would that be? Except 5-5 is a bit small, so I'm okay with the weight not matching, but the time would be awesome. I'm hoping she'll let me in the labor room. I don't think it's likely, but I know how some nurses are clueless and would like to be nearby just in case.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Shann, I'm actually working in an OB clinic so I don't have time to miss it! :mrgreen: All of our patients are pregnant, so I help with rooming patients for ultrasounds and doing NSTs for our high risk patients. Also I assist with CVS and amniocentesis. And anyone that's in preterm labor or preeclamptic we send to L&D for evaluation. It's fun, and the repetition is nice. Lots of cleaning rooms and drawing blood and charting the same things every time. No more high stress environment where I worry if I covered myself for the next 18 years. :shock:

I sure hope that your daughter lets you in! I know I'd want someone there who would stick up for me! :wink:

Holly, I'm glad you're back regularly posting again! You're such an encouragement to all of us.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Funny thing... I just knew Leah was going to pop in.... as soon as Bubbles dropped by. :heehee
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Prayers for Becky. Sorry to hear about your grandpa. May the Lord comfort him and your family. I pray Shann can stop hurting so she can finish editing projects. And I pray for all my friends here that You please provide their needs. Thank You Lord. In Jesus Amen.

Shann, Lyric is a pretty name.

Well, it's a new year and I hope to write more and be closer to God. I make haste with my prayers and I could focus on the Word.

Yeah, Little Bird is struggling with her sleep cycle and her health. She was my Secret Santa and crouched me a beautiful lap blanket.

Holly, I'm glad you're popping in more often and Becky, also. Holly, was it you who wanted me to re-send my autobiography? A couple of my friends thought I should publish it. I just don't know. I'd need to elaborate on parts of it.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Is it update time, or something?

My brother, Mark, who moved to Colorado in May made it home for Christmas, so it was fun seeing him. But my brother and sister-in-law in Maine couldn't make it.

Shann, I've been praying for you, but I think you already knew that. :) The next Urbana is about a year from now... Dec. 2015. Is your son going? I'll most likely be volunteering.

Good to see the rest of you back! Leah, I"m so happy this new position is working out better for you.

I'm doing great. Come February, it will be two years since my surgery, and other than the occasional twinge (which I've actually had since the first surgery when I was nine) and the occasional day when it feels a bit stiff/off, I've had no problems. My other hip seems to be going strong, but I am getting twinges more often.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:46 am

Don't have time to respond to each of you, but it was lovely to read all the updates. :)

I'll be attending a series of prenatal classes starting Monday. Nope, I'm not pregnant again. ;) This is part of my doula training. I'm praying that I'll connect with some new clients. I'm feeling ready to get back into doula work now that my youngest is almost 3.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Speaking of 3 year olds.... MY little ones (Slug and the Monkey) had their first sibling argument, sort of. I was invited over for New Year's dinner, and Slug introduced me, simply glowing with youthful joy. "This is my Uncle Ed."

To which the little Monkey came running up shouting, "MY Unka Ed." Which brought on 10 minutes of pushing, giggling and climbing all over me while shouting, "Mine." One could never tell they hadn't seen me in a little while. (Went over for Christmas visit)

Me and their grand father (mom's dad) were laughing about it. "Guys secretly like having girls fight over them, but at that age????" :lol:

Praying for all and passed on the list at last night's bible study. And I am so glad to see you pop on ShortStuff, had one of the ladies ask about the 'Young lady that had the hip replacement." She hadn't been to the weekly study in a while and was asking. :wink:

JesusPuppy Profile

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 pm

That's awesome, Pup! I bet they're cute little munchkins. Sounds like they have Uncle Ed wrapped around their pinkies. ;)
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:53 pm

Thanks everyone else for the updates! Rachel, I'm still thinking about pursuing the doula route in the future. I opted to not continue my Masters' program for now. I have to get L&D certification for my job within a year of hire, so I figured I'd focus on that for now...it's quite a bit of studying, and I'm planning to take a 2-day review course as well. After that, I may have time to start reading the doula books to be a certified doula. I also wanted to get lactation certified as well. I'm going to have so many letters after my name when I'm done! :shock: Right now it's just RN, BSN, C-EFM. After all that I would be RNC-OB, BSN, C-EFM, IBCLC, CD(DONA). :lol: I definitely don't need an MSN to add to that alphabet. :roll:

Ryan and I are going to start writing a musical together. We're hoping to present it to his director by the fall to be possibly performed next spring. We have a good team - he can come up with the scene ideas, and I can write them. Also, since I don't write music, I am hoping my dad and brother can come up with the music, while I write the lyrics to the songs. Ryan's excited about the project, and I think it's something I can follow through.

My goal is also to participate in the Challenge again, too. I think I can carve out the time.

Hope your week is starting well.

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:50 am

Hi Rachel, nice to see you pop in. I was just thinking about you. I'm glad you're doing the prenatal classes. I want to be there so bad when M goes into labor. I've resigned that they probably won't let me. It's hard to just let go. I know in most cases, the nurses will do a good job of taking care of her. I also know there are some nurses that don't have a clue how to spot a late Decel. But God will be with her.

I think you should publish your autobiography too Jay. You have such wisdom to share with others. I wish I could edit it for you, but not sure if I have the time. If things slow down, I'll let you know. I might be able to do a basic edit, just look for errors and not try to offer too many suggestions (that's hard for me to do though}. I bet Amy would help you with layout. I am still looking for an illustrator for my next kids' book.

Leah, it sounds like things are going great for you. I'm happy that you have your dream job or close. I'd love to be a doula, but there isn't a lot of need around here and I can't find a way to do the training. I'd love to do childbirth classes. Because everyone gets an epidural, the classes are like one day and that's it.

I'm going through a tough time emotionally. I just feel unloved and unneeded. I was so excited about joining a small group Bible study at Church. Well the first meeting was right after my Dad got sick. I didn't make it. Then in Church on Sunday, they announced the 3rd one (they meet once a month). It's hosted at people's houses, and we had a dinner after church and the couple who is hosting it this month sat next to me and we started talking about how I wished I had joined. She told me to come. Both she and her husband were so excited about it and engaging me. I told her about my agoraphobia, and she promised to call me on Friday and tell me I had to come. I know pretty much everyone there. Mostly it's couples, which makes me nervous because Chris wouldn't go, but they said two other ladies go without their spouses. I was excited about it. Then my sister and I went to talk to Jamie, my minister, and we wanted to have Dad's Memorial service on his birthday and it happens to be the same day this group meets. I told Jamie id spoken to the couple and was planning on going. He said, while we have another couple who is joining and this group already meshes so it's not something you can just show up at. Then he said he'd check with the group to see if it was okay. I started crying and again said something like oh I'm sorry when I spoke with that couple they didn't mention it was exclusive. I told him they even called another couple to arrange a ride. Then he said Oh okay, but the damage was Done. It just seems weird that another couple can join the group, but he didn't want me to. There's no way I'm going now, even though he said if the people hosting it said okay. It just hurts. Plus my sister and I don't agree about the memorial service. I don't even want to do it anymore. I just want to stop crying.
Shann

Shann's Profile

writermom
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by writermom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Shann, You are very much needed. Trust God! Blessings, Lori
"If you have only been published once, you have been read by many" L.G.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Shann-can... if it is exclusive, and they invited you, that makes you special. That or they are aleins wanting to brainwash you into helping take over the world. :wink:

I think you should try for it anyway. Getting out, meeting new folks and getting to know them better while studying the Word. It will be good for you. Besides, if they turn out being aleins, you could be the one to save the world. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Pup, yes we got our first snow fall today. Our high temp only got to 30 or so but its supposed to get colder and colder each day. Our high between tomorrow and Thursday is supposed to be mid to low 20s and at night colder, plus it'll be windy so the "real feel" will be below zero.

Grandpa came home from the hospital today. He's very weak. He basically got "kicked out" of hospice because he is going to have Physical therapy at home and they don't accept that because it's considered aggressive treatment. I'm not so sure the PT will do any good for him now. He's to the point of being bed ridden now and we'll need around the clock care. We have aides that come and help him but we have a lot of issues with one of them and have ever since the issues we had months ago. In my opinion I think it would be smart to fire her. I doubt my grandparents will go with it. Grandpa loves her, Nanny has issues with her but as long as Grandpa's happy. But when a person over dramatizes so much that you start to wonder the validity of what their saying... isn't that a problem?

We did have a few issues with Hospice but I think she was causing so much drama about it that I think she caused a brain washing effect because later both my grandmother and I felt like it wasnt as bad as she makes it sound. The thing is, she says they were telling hospice about a possible UTI since November but I don't remember that, but then when they did give him an antibiotic she claims they just gave it to him without testing him for anything. I don't know, I just feel like at least they gave him an antibiotic instead of continuing to let it go if they even did "let it go" it could have been someone elses oversight- like hers- and she was covering her butt.

Well anyway theres tons of crud and I feel bad too because I got angry over Hospice not doing a good job but later started to think that maybe they are doing all they can for Grandpa because although he has pain there's not much that can be done for his pain because ALL narcotics make him hallucinate. They tried a steroid but it didn't do anything except make him more susceptible to infection (which makes the one aide happy because that's something else hospice "did wrong" in her opinion) they had been doing oral liquid morphine which we do feel he needs but not as much as he was getting. As easy as it is for narcotics to change him, make him mean or hallucinate even this stuff, which is a milder type made him mean after being on it for so many weeks. So we feel like he can have it at night to ease his pain and help him sleep better, they even started giving him a shot of what he thought was morphine but it was actually water and he claimed his pain was better. Maybe its just will power? If you think and believe you're getting one thing and believe that it'll work enough... maybe just sheer will power makes it happen.

So, I had talked with my best friend about hospice and said that they didn't do ****. Which made her ticked off at me because 1. Her Grandmother and Grandfather both had hospice and they did wonders for them and 2. her Aunt is the head of Hospice, plus her grandmothers death was so recent that it was basically me dumping salt in her fresh wounds. We ended up going out last night and got our nails done and we did talk a lot about each others respective grandparent and also about the hospice, she did tell me when I said that to her it made her very angry and she was about to let loose on me, which considering how angry we both were it wouldn't have ended well... probably- knowing us, we would have lost each other. But she did say that her fiance told her that it's possible that grandpa didn't get good care that each case is different. She said she had a hard time believing that. Anyway, I had told her that when I told her what was going on it made me feel like she was disagreeing with the care my grandfather was receiving when in reality she just was disagreeing on hospice not doing anything.

Oh gee, did I ramble. I apologize to all who actually read this long, drawn out, piece of stupidity. I don't blame any of you if you just skip over it entirely... because I probably would.
Dum Spiro Spero

Return to “The Water Cooler”