Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Rebecky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:18 am

Amy, I don't think my great-Aunt is being difficult I just think she was stating a comment but wasn't trying to be rude either.
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 am

Oh by the way Bird.. they are not MY aliens, correctly speaking, I just know about the political plot to cover it up, and we all know I am never very politically correct in my speaking, so... I tell everyone about them. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Rebecky wrote:My grandparents just got home from a trip to Maine with my Aunt. My grandmother got to visit with her sister who is about to have a hip replacement in September or October and her husband is in a nursing home. He has MS and he can't move, he's kind of now scrunched up in a ball pretty much and he can barely speak.

My grandfather missed almost a whole weeks worth of medication. He kept forgetting to take it we think. It's really sad because my grandmother's sister actually said to her, "your husband is worse than mine", meaning that her husband is being taken care of perfessionally so he's kind of more better and healthier I suppose. This is making my grandmother want to call social services and see if someone can come help take care of grandpa.
I think that's a great idea Becky. At the very least maybe a home health nurse to come in and set up all of his meds for the week and check out his vital signs and his orientation. I wish I lived nearby so I could help! Maybe it might be good if they could move into an assisted living apartment where they are still independent and have privacy but someone is always near-by to help. Of course the good ones are expensive. I know how close you are to your grandparents so I'm praying for you all. HUGS
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:11 pm

jostrick wrote:Hi-ya, Amy...cool nickname, sparrow. Hear you live in Vancouver too.

About Nanowrimo
I did nano in '08 and, kinda, '09...long story but life interferred...haven't 'won' yet (hit 50000 mark in the month of November). At the time I was in Centralia, WA and they have a great group of Nano writers there. I went to one of the meetings here last year, just didn't make the same connection...but will try again one of these years. This year's participation is up in the air as all my attention is on my need for work.

I have a job interview tomorrow at 10...if you would be kind...prayers are welcome (18 months, around 200 applications, only 5-6 interviews, yes, the economy is...sad, but God has, is, and continues to be faithful and my Jehovah Jireh!)

Well, I just submitted for 'Groceries'. Kind of an unusual entry, hope it is enough on topic :-). Usually, I'm editing until the wee hours of Thursday a.m., but the hard part was getting up repeatedly the other night. Today was interesting--facing the results of my sleep fog. It wasn't perfectly edited when I submitted, but I need to go scout out my interview locations.

Talk to ya'll later!
Joanna
I'm reading this a bit past 10 your time but since time is a human invention it won't matter

Dear Jesus,
Please wrap your arms around Joanne. Help her to be calm and confident during the interview. Thank you for the opportunity for a possible job. We know you have special plans for each one of us and we thank you for that love and concern. Please grant Joanne patience and a mind that doesn't worry (I could use a worry-less mind and attitude too) In your name Amen
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:16 pm

CONGRATULATIONS LAURA ON YOUR PRETTY RIBBON! HAPPY DANCE AND I KNOW LYNN POPPED IN ONCE OR TWICE SO CONGRATULATIONS TO HER TOO IF SHE IS HERE! :party :party :party :shiney2 :shiney2 :shiney2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 :party :party :party
here IS Laura's STORY
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=43509
Shann

Shann's Profile

jostrick
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jostrick » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Joanna, I wonder if I met you at one of the NaNo gatherings in Vancouver last year? That would be funny. I went to the kick off at the pizza place... trying to remember what else I went to... Two years ago I went to a few more events. Can't remember what I did last year. We were in the middle of a move and I was working some and kinda sick, so it didn't go great.

Praying for your interview! Let us know how it goes. What kind of job are you looking for?
Amy & Shann,
The interview went great! Thank you's to everyone who prayed. I won't know outcome for probably 3 weeks, but I am grateful it is over. I'm looking for an administrative support position in the medical field. I had to quit my last job as an office coordinator because of family needs--and I needed to move closer to help. Problem has been finding work, but I felt God led me to make the sacrifices necessary to move closer...and I've been trusting Him to lead me to the right job. He has been faithful, and I can see His provision in my life. I 'lack for no good thing'!

Amy, I probably did not meet you at the one meeting I went to (I didn't like the whole 'taro' thing...hope you know what I mean). But I am grateful for Nano because until that first year I joined in '08, I never believed I could write, especially in enough quantity for a book. So, for me, it was first Nano, then God led me to the OCW (oregon christian writers) where the first conference had a few 'God' connections, and then to faithwriters, where ya'll have taught me to edit like crazy...and then edit again (along with lots of prayers for God-ideas.) Strange how the more I learn about writing, the more I realize how much more I need to learn...

By the way, tonight Coleen Coble is having author chat on facebook, if anyone is interested. It's 5 pm pacific time...not sure what time it is in your neck of the woods, Shann, but she has it on her page. Oh, and there is a B&B weekend getaway contest you can register for...I couldn't resist on the off chance it is in NC or SC...don't know why but I've been dreaming of going on vacation there for, like, 6 years...'course I've wanted the trip to last longer than one weekend...and be in April when it's cooler.

Okay, time to stop my rambling. Have a great day, everybody!
Joanna
Joanna Stricker

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Shann wrote:
Rebecky wrote:My grandparents just got home from a trip to Maine with my Aunt. My grandmother got to visit with her sister who is about to have a hip replacement in September or October and her husband is in a nursing home. He has MS and he can't move, he's kind of now scrunched up in a ball pretty much and he can barely speak.

My grandfather missed almost a whole weeks worth of medication. He kept forgetting to take it we think. It's really sad because my grandmother's sister actually said to her, "your husband is worse than mine", meaning that her husband is being taken care of perfessionally so he's kind of more better and healthier I suppose. This is making my grandmother want to call social services and see if someone can come help take care of grandpa.
I think that's a great idea Becky. At the very least maybe a home health nurse to come in and set up all of his meds for the week and check out his vital signs and his orientation. I wish I lived nearby so I could help! Maybe it might be good if they could move into an assisted living apartment where they are still independent and have privacy but someone is always near-by to help. Of course the good ones are expensive. I know how close you are to your grandparents so I'm praying for you all. HUGS
Well I set out his medication for the week so he doesn't have to its just that he was forgetting to take it while on the trip. At home he remembers.

and they would never move into an assisted living place. Its just not their personality and especially not grandpa's, in fact Grandpa most likely would not accept help from anyone coming in to help.
Dum Spiro Spero

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Becky, my mom has trouble accepting help from anyone, too. Hope your grandpa is doing better now that he's home and taking his meds. Traveling always messes up my med schedule, too.

Joanna, so glad the interview went well! And yeah, I just ignored the offer of doing a tarot reading for my book. At the ones I went to the reader went off in a corner or in another room to do that, so I just avoided that area and it wasn't made into a big deal. And yes, FW and NaNo are what got me where I am today with my writing, too. Awesome!

Hey, if you're interested, I'm in a monthly critique group led by Randy Ingermanson. It's the second Tuesday of every month at the Vancouver Barnes & Noble at 7:00 pm. It's amazing.

Congrats, Laura and Barb!
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Kalnozoli Kate
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Kalnozoli Kate » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 pm

:grouphug :party Congratulations to all who placed and all who entered.
I am sorry I haven't been about much. We have been a bit busy with harvesting our veggies and entertaining guests. Plus we are praying and discussing the possibility of giving up the farm. :? When we were haying earlier in the summer (which seems to have left us already) I saw Ian near to collapse as he carried the last bale to the trailer. Normally he ignores this kind of thing but it made him realize his age has now become a factor. He was willing to start talking about moving to a house in the village where our good friends live. They are delighted and have been worrying about us for some time. They are looking for houses and praying with us. It probably won't happen until next Spring and we dread the physical move but believe it is for the best. :)
Blessings, Kathleen
"The only thing that can change us, the world, is this~~~all His love." Ann Voskamp

Blog: http://ergliangel45.wordpress.com

jostrick
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jostrick » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Sparrow wrote:Joanna, so glad the interview went well! And yeah, I just ignored the offer of doing a tarot reading for my book. At the ones I went to the reader went off in a corner or in another room to do that, so I just avoided that area and it wasn't made into a big deal. And yes, FW and NaNo are what got me where I am today with my writing, too. Awesome!

Hey, if you're interested, I'm in a monthly critique group led by Randy Ingermanson. It's the second Tuesday of every month at the Vancouver Barnes & Noble at 7:00 pm. It's amazing.

Congrats, Laura and Barb!
The meeting was a pre-meeting and they wanted us to use them for ideas. I just passed them on down the line...hope no one saw my wrinkled nose, I wanted to tell everyone what a mistake it is to mess with that type of stuff...but I kept my words to myself :-). The critique group sounds great...I'd read some of his books and then heard him at one of the OCW meetings, he has an interesting story about how he got started. So do you have to share your stuff for critique right from the beginning? :? I had one challenge entry that came out of a critique group (not FW) worse than it went in...so I'm more cautious (mainly it was a me-thing as I lost my inspiration after hearing it critiqued and didn't know what advice to take/reject). And do I just show up?...full of questions tonight but you have me excited. I live like 2-3 blocks from Barnes & Noble and spend a lot of time there.

I'm glad I got onto this forum, you guys are so encouraging!

Got to go, had a busy day, now some chill time...oh, and, not to brag or anything, but some good news. I won a copy of Colleen Coble's book, Tidewater Inn, at her facebook author page chat this evening. Yippee! Wasn't sure when I'd be able to afford it...Good night all!
Joanna Stricker

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Hey all I'm having a tough day. It's been 19 years since Mom died and I really need my mommy right now! Lyd moved into college yesterday. I couldn't go because there wasn't room but it probably was better cuz she had a hard time saying goodbye. Just spent the last bit talking to her and she was sobbing. I was able to remain calm and soothing but as soon as she hung up I started bawling. She kept saying how she wanted to come home. It's taking every bit of willpower and common sense to not get in the car and go get her. But I'm hopefully holding it together. There were a lot of things I wanted to get done today but right now I'm pretty useless. I did manage to get her some of the extra money that she needs but still need to come up with a little more. After this semester it won't be as bad because of all of the new student fees plus some of her scholarships don't pay out until she completes the first semester.

Did I mention she changed her major? Instead of chemistry she is following Seema and is training to work with "monkeys" She wants to work with elementary aged ones. Because she took so many college credits in HS she is starting out as a beginning second year. I'm hoping maybe she can drop a class so the change isn't so overwhelming. She wants to graduate early but right now it makes sense to get used to college. All three of my kids were big homebodies and couldn't even spend the night at friends or Grandma's. Lyd is the most social of the three but she's really struggling.

Okay Joanne, you have to change your avatar cuz every time I see it I think it's Becky then I'm scratching my head wondering how Becky got to the West Coast when she lives on the East! :mrgreen:

I'm so happy that Barb made my pretty purple pencil for me. I was sad about losing the pepto-bismal one to the school bus orange/yellow one so she made me my very own purple one!

There are hardly any entries this week. I think I counted just over 50 but there are some really good ones out there. Tiara did you enter the grocery one? I did and I know Leah did but not sure about anyone else.

Kate, I'm so sorry about Ian that must have been super scary for you. I wish you could get into the village before winter. I know last year was a rough one for you. Summer is nearly gone. The lightning bugs have all but disappeared. I did see one 2 nights ago barely clinging to life. i picked him up and he flashed a few times for me but I don't think his little butt had too many more sparks left inside.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Kalnozoli Kate
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Kalnozoli Kate » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Shann, my poor children had to watch their mother leave the country but I raised them to be independent, very. Keith took it the hardest but now that I am married to Ian, Keith is more settled. He always felt responsible for me, the darling boy/man. Tomorrow it will have been 41 years since my mom died. I was 26 and independent but it was hard. So many times I would go to the phone to call her about something the children did and then realize, she wasn't there. I am sorry for your continuing sorrow and the trauma of Lyd leaving for Duke. Good job on being there for her in calmness and support.

Yes, it was scary to see Ian in physical trouble. He had a bit of a 'turn' yesterday and we are beginning to hope we can move before winter. There may be a house available in our friend's village. We are just waiting to hear. Then we can start the process with this place. We need much prayer and wisdom.Paldies. :thankssign
Blessings, Kathleen
"The only thing that can change us, the world, is this~~~all His love." Ann Voskamp

Blog: http://ergliangel45.wordpress.com

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:06 pm

So I cleaned the house today for my mom so she wouldn't have to waste her Saturday doing it and now i'm really tired and sore and my leg hurts and my mom thinks i have spider bites on my leg and and and ....... i don't know how i ended up on here either. I think I came to check it out again cause it'd been a long time and i search for my name and found back in the beginning when Pup and Tim were talking about me behind my back so I decided to post.

:shock: :lol:

and I work some next month and into October. About 2 days a week but its only 2 or 3 hours each of those days and only one or two days is 4 hours but I'm not complaining. Work is work and its more than i'm getting now.
Dum Spiro Spero

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Shann, when did you become a moderator? Good for you! :clap :clap :D
Barb Culler

jostrick
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)