Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 am

I figure this quarters challenge is cycles cycles of moon, seasons

What do you think cycle of life maybe bicycle????:)
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Iam4Him
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Iam4Him » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:03 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It's so nice to see your purple pen back!

I actually started to write an entry for the challenge and have it half finished, but looking at it tonight, I dunno....it's been a long time since I wrote anything that I like. I'm all blocked :cry:

Blessings,
Perkins
They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

Iam4Him
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Iam4Him » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:06 am

Phooey! I'm going to bed. Night, John Boy.
They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles... Isaiah 40:31

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 am

And an hour later... Mannn, I miss everybody. Oh well, night Perky.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:15 am

Shann wrote:I figure this quarters challenge is cycles cycles of moon, seasons

What do you think cycle of life maybe bicycle????:)
If so I could write one on my new bike. :lol:

JesusPuppy Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 am

As for TV I think they do that, cut the shows off early and wait, just to drive people crazy while waiting. :roll:

Oh well...

Lunch time check in. Good to hear you got home ok Shann, still praying for ya sis. Sooo thats Shann and Beaker, where are Leah and Seema? :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 am

IvyKat wrote:
tonguethaid wrote:
Sparrow wrote: Oh, question... So I'm way behind in the Bible reading, but trying to still do some most every day. The Genises passage where Jacob puts striped branches in front of the mating goats doesn't make any scientific sense. Was it just that God made them spotted for him, to show favor? Seems kinda like cheating, and yet God seemed to have condoned it.

I have been wondering a lot of the same. Its like everything Jacob did- steal his brother's birth right, then his blessing, then was tricking his father-in-law, and God condoned all of it.

But I also had a thought- I know, scary- this all happened before Moses and the ten commandments. So really when the Bible says they were "righteous" I'm guessing its not necessarily referring to living by God's Law but by having Faith. Which would explain all the wives and idols and betrayal...maybe? Just a thought- what do you think?
I don't think God necessarily condoned it. Before Moses was given the Ten Commandments, there was still a Law: Cain murdering Abel was a sin, and God sent the flood because of all the people's sin. So it was more like God used Jacob's rebellion and unrighteousness to bring about good things, the same way he does with all unrighteousness.

And even after the law was given, people were saved by faith in God's promises, not by their righteousness. Think of the most famous king, a man after God's own heart: David. An adulterous, murdering, lying thief. But he had faith and humility.

But don't even ask me about the branches.... :heehee I thought it was some thing that sheep ranchers know all about.
I definitely agree that it is never because of our own righteousness or anything we do- I guess my thought is more toward what we personally perceive as righteous. We have all these commandments and all of the NT as our foundation for morality and principals- which ultimately help us to define what righteous means.

In this context, its puzzling to see these actions, such as having idols, betrayals, multiple wives, by people who God calls righteous and God blesses them.

And despite it not about being about our own works, to an extent at that time, their worship to God was through burnt offerings and sacrifice, and things like circumcision. It was a much bigger and more significant part of their lives.

I'm pretty sure this is all way over my head- and I'm probably missing some crucial cultural element. Time to do some research. I will be happy when my Dad gets back tomorrow- so I dont keep having to ask Google.
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 am

JesusPuppy wrote:As for TV I think they do that, cut the shows off early and wait, just to drive people crazy while waiting. :roll:

Oh well...

Lunch time check in. Good to hear you got home ok Shann, still praying for ya sis. Sooo thats Shann and Beaker, where are Leah and Seema? :roll:
yeah like Doctor Who! I can't believe they only give us 13 episodes a year. Its not nearly enough
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 am

Ivy- I think we were ever to meet up for coffee or anything, we could have some real interesting conversations. :D

Then again maybe we need the rest of you to throw in your ideas and opinions.

Ok, its settled. When are we all meeting up for coffee?

Speaking of missing people- where is Leonie??

And did you notice 999 posts?? :D :D :D
I was gonna go for the 1,000 but 999 looks cooler, and its a very lucky number in Thailand :wink:
♥Kara

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:35 am

I'm thinking the theme is "time".

Leah, Leonie, Seema, can you come out to play? :)
Barb Culler

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 am

tonguethaid wrote:yeah like Doctor Who! I can't believe they only give us 13 episodes a year. Its not nearly enough
If they gave us a two hour show each month plus another two hour special for Christmas, then the 13 shows wouldn't be so bad. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 am

Shann wrote:my first thought was I don't deserve such wonderful friends in my life!
It is funny. I once thought that very same thing sort of... Mine was more like, "What did I ever do to deserve such friends."

Then I thought about how that actually sounds... :roll:

Love ya Shann. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

IvyKat

Post by IvyKat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 pm

We're having a guest lecturer that's Deaf in my Structure of ASL class today. We'll be having an interpreter, so it should be interesting to watch someone sign for an extended period of time and actually know what they're saying. I'm excited!

As for YOU, Kara Bear.... no, we wouldn't have very interesting conversations, I'm afraid, because while my thoughts are very orderly and linear on paper, I live in perpetual brain fog and would barely be able to give you the time of day. I'm not even exaggerating, I lose my train of thought about twice per conversation. All my friends make fun of me for it. :roll:

Puperoni... I know exactly what you mean :heehee
~ Ivy ~ Ivypie ~ Sweet Pea ~ Fred ~ Harvey ~ Irving ~ Irvs ~

That Penguin Girl (my blog)

I hear in my mind, all of these voices.
I hear in my mind, all of these words.
I hear in my mind, all of this music.
And it breaks my heart, it breaks my heart.
~Regina Spektor

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Tuesday - January 18

VERSE OF THE DAY
"For who is powerful enough to enter the house of a strong man like Satan and plunder his goods? Only someone even stronger; someone who could tie him up and then plunder his house." – Matthew 12:29

Read Today's Bible Passages
New Testament: Matthew 12:24-50
Old Testament: Genesis 43-45

Hey Friend-Bobs...I am SO enthralled with what's going on in this part of Genesis with Joseph and his brother's...I'm EVEN reading into tomorrow but stopped to get this posted. Not bragging about being caught up 'cuz yesterday, I was three days behind...just doing my thing when I can, but wanted to encourage you to use this link and read online if your'e falling behind, because even tho it's not the version we are accustomed to (NKJV) is my preference...I'm being fed and the truth is...if it weren't for this being online and I were reading from my Bible...I'd probably be on day 2 or 3...FOR REAL...:(
http://bible.cbn.com/bibleinayear.aspx?day=14&plan=1

1. SHELLYKINS :thumbs
2. BUTTONS :thumbs
3. AMY :thumbs
4. SHANNIKINS :thumbs
5. KARA :thumbs
6. BEAKERS:thumbs
7. TIARA :thumbs
8. SEEMA :thumbs
9. PATTY :thumbs
10. BOO :thumbs
11. ME :thumbs

Winter

Just Because :heehee

AWESOME Picture of Calvary

And btw munchkins...I too, have felt so undeserving but blessed because of all of you...I honestly look forward to jumping on here each day and expectantly look forward to all that everyone has to say. I even thought one day, how sad I'd be if this and you weren't here. Even when I'm not able to add my 3 cents... :mrgreen:, I'm reaping the blessings from what y'all share.

SHALOM!

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Guys....I just HAD to post this...it's from tomorrow's reading but I believe it describes the reason for what many of us have been going through with are questions of not understanding or understanding and doubting. Hope it blesses you as much as it did me. :)

14 This fulfills the prophecy of Isaiah that says,

`When you hear what I say,
you will not understand.
When you see what I do,
you will not comprehend.
15 For the hearts of these people are hardened,
and their ears cannot hear,
and they have closed their eyes—
so their eyes cannot see,
and their ears cannot hear,
and their hearts cannot understand,
and they cannot turn to me
and let me heal them.' [15]

16 "But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. 17 "I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, but they didn't see it. And they longed to hear what you hear, but they didn't hear it." 18 "Now listen to the explanation of the parable about the farmer planting seeds: 19 The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message about the Kingdom and don't understand it. Then the evil one comes and snatches away the seed that was planted in their hearts. 20 The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. 21 But since they don't have deep roots, they don't last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God's word. 22 The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God's word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life and the lure of wealth, so no fruit is produced. 23 The seed that fell on good soil represents those who truly hear and understand God's word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!"

Parable of the Wheat and Weeds
24 Here is another story Jesus told: "The Kingdom of Heaven is like a farmer who planted good seed in his field. 25 But that night as the workers slept, his enemy came and planted weeds among the wheat, then slipped away. 26 When the crop began to grow and produce grain, the weeds also grew.
27 "The farmer's workers went to him and said, `Sir, the field where you planted that good seed is full of weeds! Where did they come from?'
28 "`An enemy has done this!' the farmer exclaimed.
"`Should we pull out the weeds?' they asked.
29 "`No,' he replied, `you'll uproot the wheat if you do. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. Then I will tell the harvesters to sort out the weeds, tie them into bundles, and burn them, and to put the wheat in the barn.'"

Return to “The Water Cooler”