Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by jaybird » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello all! Happy last day of September!

We had to orientate 2 new nurses for me. It's time consuming and a pain.

I finished my short story's first draft "The French Tutor." Anyone want to read it?

I think I'll get back to doing art in the digital format. I checked out some art software and found a couple free browser run programs.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 am

b24bomb wrote:
Shann wrote:You're very welcome! I was once told that all great people are born in September. :mrgreen:
Yes. Yes, we were. :wink:
Yeah yeah... but the BETTER ones were all born in February. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

b24bomb
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by b24bomb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:53 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:
b24bomb wrote:
Shann wrote:You're very welcome! I was once told that all great people are born in September. :mrgreen:
Hmm...so you're related to Punxsatawney Phil? That's news to me!

Lauren Bombardier

I always thought I was strange until I discovered FW. Now I know its just cause I'm a writer. ~ Julie Ruspoli

"Why do books have to have so many pictures? It's annoying!" ~ Sierra, age 9

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Shann wrote:Happy birthday Lauren! :party :party :party :birthday :birthday :party :party

Deejay, I've had horrible veins for as long as I can remember. The longest it ever took someone is 33 pokes. Getting blood is easier than inserting blood. One thing you can do of course is be super hydrated, also if you can be warm when you know they are coming, that would help. Because they only had problems at night, my guess would be they are inexperienced. Lab tech runs on a skeleton shift at night and the newbies usually take those shifts. If you can increase your muscle strength my lifting weights like 5 lbs on each side several times a day that would help. You don't even have to get actual weights, use cans or a water jug. Also, the veins tend to be better in your dominant hand. You could ask them to use a butterfly needle if they have trouble. It's a smaller needle, but it could clot faster too. Have them look in your hand. Often the veins are better there. You might have scar tissue on the inside of your elbow that they are mistaking for a vein.
Actually, Shann, they do use butterfly needles when they have a problem. And you're right, these people are newbies. And they did try both my hands, both elbows, you name it. Since I was in my nightgown--Sears calls it a caftan--I tried to get them to use my leg veins, but with all the spider veins, and a couple small varicose veins, they were all a tangled mess and I didn't think that would help. At least they were honest when they stuck my hand and said, "This is gonna hurt!" But the more experienced nurse the next morning had some problems, too. I was trying to drink as much water as possible. But I'll try the light weightlifting suggestion; I have another overnight later this month. Though you'd think hauling a backpack around to carry my stuff in would suffice, and I'm sure it weighs more than 5-7 pounds.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:11 pm

b24bomb wrote:
JesusPuppy wrote:
Hmm...so you're related to Punxsatawney Phil? That's news to me![/quote]

It shouldn't be a surprise. Look at the resemblance! :tongue

Have I mentioned I missed you Lauren? :bow
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Hey Dec Jay, I'm glad to hear they used butterflies, that will allow them to access more veins. The backpack won't help because your body works together to balance. You need something specific to arm muscles. Grab some big jars of peanut butter or something and do curls. Also make sure your AR Ms are warm before they try hot packs (often they either don't wait long enough or wait to long and the packs turn cold and make it worse.) Another thing that will help is to relax. I know that's not easy to do when someone is poking you. Before they start, take a deep cleansing breath, in through the nose out the mouth. Focus on relaxing the muscles in your arm. In fact you could practice by taking turns tightening the muscles in your arm until you really feel the pull, then relax it. The more you practice the easier it is to do on command. If you're tense, the muscles fight against the needle making it easy to blow the vein. Don't tell them you're a tough stick because that might have psychological impact. I could start an IV with the lights off, almost upside down on a frantic pregnant patient. I became quite good. I was asked to go to the surgical floor to start an IV. I took one look at the guy's hairy arms and panicked. I realized I'd never started on IV on a male before. (I worked in OB) It was all in my head. I knew instantly that even though he had great veins, I had already defeated myself. So rather than making the poor guy get poked unnecessarily, I went back to my boss and said I'd try if she wanted, but I felt like it would be futile
she agreed. :mrgreen:

Jay, I'm so sorry you have to break in new nurses. That must be frustrating and a bit overwhelming. I'd love to read your MS, but I've got so much on my plate right now, I know it would not be good for me. Ask again in a month or two. I would like to see it.

Rachel, how are you doing on your MS? The first bit I read was so good, I can't wait to read more.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Well, I was fairly relaxed, remember I was woken up at 1 am so between pokes, I had my eyes closed--though mainly because I don't like seeing the needles going in! :mrgreen:

I emailed my youngest sister, who's a former RN, and she said she's never heard of a two hour needle; she thinks I must be referring to a hep lock, as those can stay in for quite a while. But that's what I heard them say. She agrees with you on the hydration, though. Maybe that's why we had water for lunch and dinner instead of what we had last time. The kid that delivered breakfast looked like he was half asleep. They must really drop the ball on Sunday overnights.

I don't recall saying anything about an MS; after I get paid for this study I plan to buy a gift card, put $500 on it, and buy/download a copy of Randy Ingermasson's Snowflake Method writing software. That should get me going! I've been stalled for a year or more.

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:13 pm

b24bomb wrote:Hmm...so you're related to Punxsatawney Phil? That's news to me!
He was a fictional character, besides, not enough alien blood in his veins. :wink:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 pm

deejay wrote:Well, I was fairly relaxed, remember I was woken up at 1 am so between pokes, I had my eyes closed--though mainly because I don't like seeing the needles going in! :mrgreen:

I emailed my youngest sister, who's a former RN, and she said she's never heard of a two hour needle; she thinks I must be referring to a hep lock, as those can stay in for quite a while. But that's what I heard them say. She agrees with you on the hydration, though. Maybe that's why we had water for lunch and dinner instead of what we had last time. The kid that delivered breakfast looked like he was half asleep. They must really drop the ball on Sunday overnights.

I don't recall saying anything about an MS; after I get paid for this study I plan to buy a gift card, put $500 on it, and buy/download a copy of Randy Ingermasson's Snowflake Method writing software. That should get me going! I've been stalled for a year or more.
Actually, since they woke you, you probably weren't relaxed, but I was talking specifically when they insert the needle and start fishing for the vein. It hurts so it's natural to tense up and close your eyes, but that tensing can cause the vein to collapse so instead just count slow breaths as concentrate on relaxing those muscles. And the information about the MS was meant to be directed to Jay, not Dee Jay. My stupid spellchecker insists upon changing Dee to Dec. I love it but sometimes... :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:47 am

Shann wrote:My stupid spellchecker.... I love it but sometimes... :mrgreen:
Like the joke goes.."Spiel chick is me fiend." :wink:

JesusPuppy Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Actually, I am pretty relaxed when I wake up. Yeah, I was wondering about the MS reference. Had computer trouble--mine, not the library's--last Wednesday, so it took me until now to get back to you.

Narrah, our church's experience lead and my supervisor, told me yesterday that my not being in church last Sunday caused something of a panic. But I'd kept Narrah in the loop, so she was able to avert a near riot :mrgreen: by telling people that I was in a study and was okay.

And she's two months along with Baby Number Three. She had the first two by C-section; don't they tie a woman's

b24bomb
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by b24bomb » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:54 am

Shann wrote: Have I mentioned I missed you Lauren? :bow
Somehow I kinda got the hint. :wink:

Lauren Bombardier

I always thought I was strange until I discovered FW. Now I know its just cause I'm a writer. ~ Julie Ruspoli

"Why do books have to have so many pictures? It's annoying!" ~ Sierra, age 9

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 am

I miss every body, mostly because they are all asleep when I am active. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:57 am

I'm working at getting my days and nights switched back. Next I need to work on getting out of the house more and then work on eating healthy, though I think white peanut butter cups have to be healthy, they have peanut butter in them and must have milk to make the white part right? I do think I could live on just those. Though when the rice cakes and honey became my main food source, i thought I could live on those, then it was oatmeal and not the good healthy kind but the fruit and cream kind. Sigh, I'm trying.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Somehow, part of my last post was deleted. I was asking if they advise a woman to have her tubes tied after the third C-section--although my roommate Diane has had four kids, all of them by C-section--or is that old news? I would think all those surgical scars would add up and make things difficult.

Return to “The Water Cooler”