Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Shann » Mon May 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Ah, well after I forgot Becky' I wanted to get a jump on yours. Hugs :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Toni Hammer » Tue May 20, 2014 3:12 am

A little birdie told me I was missed so here I am. :superhappy

I'm sorry I haven't been around much and reading over the last few pages reminded me I need to stay in touch here. Writing this book is very lonely at times. I'm working on building my platform and writing a book proposal and querying agents and it's all so exhausting.

I promise to check in at least once a week from now on. I miss you all and need your friendship and encouragement more than I realized. FW is the reason I finally believed in myself enough to actually write this book and it's been foolish of me to step away. :bow
Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.

--Psalm 144:1

http://www.tonihammer.com

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue May 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Glad to see you pop in Toni. It can be overwhelming so I understand, but it's good to stay in touch with people who have gone through the process too. I'm excited to read it when you get done. :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue May 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Shann wrote:It can be overwhelming so I understand,
So can I.. Thats why I gave you the poems instead of doing it myself. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Tue May 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Shann, I'm no chess master, but I play a good game. I haven't played awhile so I might be rusty. I play onhttp://www.chess.com
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Wed May 21, 2014 10:15 am

Yikes, Shann - when it rains, it pours! :(

I went to the Christian writers' conference last month and it was really good; I made a new writer friend and gained some inspiration. Glad I checked the boards...I missed Deb's email about signing papers for her to publish my ECs. Now that things have settled down a bit, I'm hoping to get back into writing again. I even downloaded a writing program. :roll:

Just got back last week from visiting my family in Seattle and meeting baby Nick, my nephew. And Kylie is a darling. A very energetic darling. She kept us running, that's for sure. She turns two in a couple weeks.

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Wed May 21, 2014 11:04 am

Awww, I love the pictures, Leah! I really hope to make it to a writer's confrence next year.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Toni Hammer » Wed May 21, 2014 11:17 pm

Shann wrote:Glad to see you pop in Toni. It can be overwhelming so I understand, but it's good to stay in touch with people who have gone through the process too. I'm excited to read it when you get done. :mrgreen:
I'm excited to read it too. 8) I've queried a few agents and one actually asked for my book proposal. Prayers appreciated. :thankssign
my fingers for battle.

RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM » Thu May 22, 2014 12:02 am

I'm praying, Toni!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Thu May 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Awwww Babies. Too cute.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Toni Hammer » Thu May 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Hey guys! Could use some prayer. Long story short, an agent is considering taking me on but because I basically have no platform (i.e. not enough people know I exist to buy a book) he's unsure. Publishers don't want to take on a book that won't sell, obviously. I won't begrudge this agent if he gives me a rejection, but if y'all could pray for wisdom and guidance on his part that would be wonderful.

If nothing else it means my query letter and book proposal is solid which is really good news since I didn't even know I had to have a book proposal until a couple weeks ago. 8)
my fingers for battle.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 pm

I'll pray for your endeavor, Toni. How exciting!

Darling babies, Leah!

What, Shann, no chess challenge?

Hi Pup, Becky, Rachel, Allison, Deb and who did I miss?

I was researching how many pages I should have for each chapter for my YA novel.I read various answers--4 or 5 to ten. It's also apparent that there's no exact criteria for what the YA genre is (ie, content, etc). Your take?
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Post by Shann » Fri May 23, 2014 10:38 pm

I will play chess Jay. I was on my way home from NC and not able to get the app yet. I wanted to do it with the huge pieces like in Harry Potter, but my family is a bunch of party poopers. :(

I would say it depends on your targeted age. If it's say Middle school kids, you'd have shorter chapters. The gene can be anything from romance to suspense to poetry to sci-fi to horror. YA is my favorite genre to read (I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and have read all of the books at least 5 or 6 times each.) I'd urge you to go to the library and check out some YA books and see how they are laid out. One of the most important things to remember when writing for kids is to have the kid resolve the conflict. An adult can be a good guide, but kids like to see other kids being the hero and it gives the reader a boost in her own confidence.

I'm excited for you Toni. I have no doubt that you will have an amazing book. I'd urge you to make sure you get a decent editor to go over it before sending it out to anyone (unless this agent picks you up) Also have some beta readers. If you don't have a copy of Writers' Market, I'd urge you to get that too. It's a wonderful resource and doesn't change a lot between years so you could even use one that is a few years old. My public library has several , though I did buy my own. I also have one just for kids. The Christian one is quite good too., In it you'll find some great ideas about getting an agent, what to ask, and if you need one. A few years back one was advertising in the local paper and I called him and asked him how many clients actually went on to publish with a traditional publisher? (One of the questions in the book.) he freaked and got all uppity. How dare I ask such a question! He was a professional and if I had that kind of attitude...well, you get the idea.

A lot of scammers are out there waiting to cash in on others' dreams. I don't understand how people can exploit others like that, but it happens so make sure you really know your expectations and what-not before entering into any contract.

Home from vaca and missing whirlpool already. I actually read 2 Patterson books. He's one of my favorite authors and it's been a long time since I read a book for fun, although I did pick up on so,e tiny typos. I can't read Danielle Steele anymore. She was never my favorite, but there are so many errors it drives me nuts. Okay I'm off to bed...I hope!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Toni Hammer » Fri May 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Thank you all for your prayers! The agent called me this morning and offered me representation! As common courtesy, I have to notify all the other agents who have my queries in case they're interested, but so far it doesn't look like there are any other takers. It's totally fine, though, because this guy is great. His name is Uwe Stender if you wanna look him up. He and I are going to touch base again on June 2 but I plan on already having the contract signed and in the mail to him. I'm super stoked!

Shann, I'm so glad you got to rest and read for fun! Good for you!
my fingers for battle.

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Toni Hammer wrote:Thank you all for your prayers! The agent called me this morning and offered me representation! As common courtesy, I have to notify all the other agents who have my queries in case they're interested, but so far it doesn't look like there are any other takers. It's totally fine, though, because this guy is great. His name is Uwe Stender if you wanna look him up. He and I are going to touch base again on June 2 but I plan on already having the contract signed and in the mail to him. I'm super stoked!

Shann, I'm so glad you got to rest and read for fun! Good for you!
:superhappy :superhappy :clap :superhappy :party :party :rockon

Woohoo!!
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Return to “The Water Cooler”