Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

lauralnm
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by lauralnm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, since a lot of you just let us all know what you did particular days or weeks, I will tell you I'm especially excited about my step-daughter and grandchildren coming home tonight from a nine-day trip to Hawaii. My step-daughter went there for business, but took the two kids and her mother and was able to have a week of rest and relaxation after the business purposes ended. She is going through a hard time, with a marriage of almost twenty-two years in the process of being dissolved. Anyway, this week, I went over to her house and each day did a little something cleaning-wise to surprise her. I chose where I thought the most need was and got that cleaning all taken care of. Today I went over with some beautiful two-toned gerber daisies which she will love. No matter what, she always buys a bouquet of flowers every week. Now she won't have to and she will know they are from someone who loves her. I am so excited for her to see what I've done since she is also a student in graphic design and has to get back to her classes. This will take a load off her and that does my heart good.

Shann... my thoughts and prayers go out to you. My mother has been gone since 1993 and there are so many times when even as old as I am, want her to hold me because I'm sick or be there for me as I go through what I consider to be a crisis. There is nothing like a mother; for those who still have mothers, pamper her and make her know just how very much she is loved and needed. My own daughter is not a demonstrative person. When I had to leave unexpectedly from a visit with her just a week ago, when I returned home, there was a post on Facebook that said how much she counted on me in her life and was so sorry I had to leave. That meant so much to me. I hear you, Shann, when you talk about your mother. My heart goes out to you.

blessings... laura

tomoral
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by tomoral » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:15 pm

May God be with you Shann!
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

tonguethaid
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by tonguethaid » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 am

So I'm back home now, guess that means back to life as usual. Its been a bitter/sweet transition, but I am looking forward to getting back to writing!

In other news, today we went out and bought a washing machine AND a dryer. After being married for 4 years we finally have our own laundry facilities!!

Hope you all are doing well. Shann- prayers to you during this rough transition and time of year. My mother-in-law was rather emotional when we left. She lost her mother almost 2 years ago now, and her youngest just went to college last week- after 35 years of having children in her house!
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:32 pm

jostrick wrote:Starting the avatar search now... :P
I was just kidding. You don't really have to change it! Hugs :D

Barb, Amy and I became moderators at about the same time earlier this summer. Though Amy had her PeP thread but I don't think she had any others. In fact I need to be careful because I went to quote Becky's post but hit the edit button instead! :oops: Thankfully I noticed it or people would have been scratching their heads wondering why Becky was teasing herself!

Becky, my house needs cleaning (HINT HINT) Actually it's so bad it would probably freak you out. My husband just doesn't see things and I have such a limited amount of energy. Usually I use most of it picking up after others! Then don't have energy for the real cleaning. I can't even do the laundry which is one of my favorite things cuz the washer is downstairs and I fall too easily. I love hanging my clothes out. I think that is what Heaven will smell like. If I won the lottery I'd buy like 1200 thread count sheets (in purple of course) and hire someone to wash and hang them out and remake my bed with fresh sheets every day.

Where is the Puppers? It's been a couple of days or maybe each minute without him feels like hours hmmm or is it the other way around! :tongue
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Kate, I was just thinking about you this morning, wondering how you are. My family had to leave our land a few months ago, as you remember, and my grandparents are still trying to farm their 100 acres, so I have an idea of what you're going through. So difficult, but sounds like a wise move. Praying God will bless you and that everything will go smoothly, and that yours and Ian's health holds up in the mean time.

Laura, for critique group you do not have to bring anything. Usually people don't the first time they come anyway. I find that I learn a lot from hearing the suggestions for everyone else's work. Typically everyone who wants to brings about seven copies of 5 pages (double spaced) of whatever they are working on. We pass around the sections and everyone reads it and then we talk about what worked and what didn't work. You do have to be a little thick skinned to be a writer but the group is very kind. And remember that any feedback is just the other person's opinion. If it doesn't work for you and your writing, then you're free to decide not to use it. I learn so much from Randy and the rest of the group is great, too. I forget what type of writing you do? Right now everyone in that group writes fiction in all sorts of genres. We are open to non-fiction, too, but just has happened that we all do fiction.

Becky, hope your leg feels better. My bee sting on the bottom of my foot is pretty much gone but the bug bite on the top of it is all red around it and still bothering me.

Shann is distracting herself from missing her mom and daughters by teasing me unmercifully all afternoon. :roll: :P

Kara! Glad you're home safe. Praying for your transition as you settle back into regular life. Yay for the washer and dryer!

I'm kinda glad we moved my party back. I'm still exhausted and having trouble doing anything except sleep or stare into space. And only one person who was planning to come can't come to the other one, but three of my close friends who couldn't come this weekend will be able to come on the 8th. Except Shann keeps trying to tell me she bought a ticket and then changed her mind and didn't come when I postponed it and so lost a bunch of money but I don't believe her. :tongue She would have come anyway.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

tonguethaid

Post by tonguethaid » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:31 am

Thanks Amy :wink: Glad it worked out for you to switch the day of your party- sometimes it doesnt work so well, so I am glad it did for you! And too bad I can't come, I seriously love parties and dressing up. Your writers group sounds like so fun- I know you have talked about it before, it would be cool to be a part of that!

Shann, I would clean your house! But I am already wondering how I am going to get my house in order this week! So I know the big wonderful thing is lined-dried clothes, but maybe its just here but clothes are the line get so coarse and stiff, so I prefer the dryer. But there is something romantic about hang drying sheets.

Kate, I'm sure its a difficult decision to make. praying that all the best will come of whatever you choose and God will lead you to where he wants you to be! I will miss hearing about all the little lambs being born.

Terror- I never got back to before, but super cool you are doing the fitness program (I would never do the show or anything like that either- but I do love watching the show and thought it would be awesome to see you on it!)

So there was starting conversations about Nano. I am planning on doing it again this year - I got my sister hooked too. Although I still haven't even looked at what I did last year, so I am hoping to have a better idea of my story beforehand.

Look how long this post is! its been ages since I have done this! lucky yous :roll: :wink:
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

jostrick
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jostrick » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Okay, the avatar is still a work-in-progress :wink: I'm looking for something unique and original, kind of the way my family says my mind works...(only not so nicely, heehee).

The critique group sounds great, Amy. I'd been thinking of trying (please note, the 'trying' part) to set my writing aside over the few months and focus on some other things, but then (like usual) I had some new awesome ideas for my current project. So I'm going to jot my ideas down; mainly character development, and see where it leads. I love to read Christian suspense fiction, so that is what I am working on. I should be done in, like, say ten years or so. (Why ten? Haven't you noticed, writers always say it took ten years to be noticed, ten years to write something etc, etc). That said, I enjoy spontaneous spurts of inspiration for various other projects.

So what I am currently working on is supposed to be a series of three books (I'm temporarily calling it The Warrior series). In the first, leaving out details, the mc, who has spent a few years running from an ex-boyfriend, has a new identity/face. She will be forming friends with the mc's of the next two books, who work at the resort she has recently begun a new job at. So far, she has met them both at a fitness class and went for coffee at the resort cafe after. Do you have any ideas for scenes to develop their friendships, and give opportunity for the MC of the next book to share Christ with her?

Catch up with everyone later :-)
Joanna
Joanna Stricker

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Not sure if I got everyone's but these are the ones I know. Now don't make me nag you to go and comment on our quirky little group's stories :nono2

http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=43566

http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=43551

http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=43548
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Kara glad to see your back safe and sound and the best part is you'll be online more often! I didn't see your entry yesterday when I looked. I should be working on the church newsletter but sweat keeps dripping down well everything so I'm going to watch TV.

Oh and I don't know what Amy is talking about I have never teased her not even once! :angel2
Shann

Shann's Profile

srashmi

Post by srashmi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Popping in to say hi.

Been busy preparing for the opening of the circus (which went smoothly last Monday). Also working on raising money for the Brain Tumor Society walk and helping the quilting ministry at church. Busy, but with meaningful things so it's not too stressful.

Even though I may not post a lot, I come by often and read everyone's posts in here. Lifting everyone up in prayer. :grouphug

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:21 am

Hi, neighbor Seema! Thanks for your prayers. :thankssign

Been busy with work, as usual. Right now we're all getting extra hours due to the busy baby season, but soon enough it will be winter and I'll be begging for hours. Ryan needs to find only a part time job so he can stay focused on college. He wants to get involved with a play (performs a few weeks before Christmas) but they rehearse every Sunday afternoon and he has to make a decision as to whether finding a job is more important than committing to a play for the fun of it. :? I'm encouraging him to look into other jobs rather than just big retail stores; with all the touristy jobs around here, he should be able to find something unique with a flexible schedule.

My cousin and her girlfriend are coming tonight and staying with us through Wednesday. When I visited New York City several years ago, I stayed with her (she was dating someone else then), so it's nice to return the favor. Unfortunately I'm scheduled to work Monday and Wednesday, but hopefully we can hang out Tuesday night. I'm not sure if they've made plans to do touristy things but probably they have. Hoping also to be a light to both of them as well. My parents do a good job of separating themselves from the "sinning" of my mom's family, but that certainly does nothing to establish a real relationship. I would rather meet my extended family where they're at and shine the light of Christ so they see His love and not condemnation. If y'all can pray for favor and grace on Ryan and I, I'd sure appreciate it. We have them in our home for a short time, so hopefully they can see some of the love of Jesus while they're here.

We did a little cleaning up yesterday so I won't have too much to do today other than washing sheets and doing a quick scrub over the bathroom. I can probably get Ryan to vacuum and take out the trash. His classes have basically started but there isn't a whole lot of assigned reading, so I kind of have to prod him to study at this point. I just don't want him to be overwhelmed later on when all four classes are en force and he has a bunch of assignments due all the same week. I was a major procrastinator in college, so I'm one to talk...but in my defense I read very quickly and had no problem pulling all-nighters. He gets tired too quickly and can't throw together a paper in a few hours like I can. So I do have to push him to read ahead while he has the chance.

I got a bunch of new books for my birthday (that I picked out) but they're all non-fiction and I fell asleep reading one last night. Maybe I was just tired, too. :lol:

Need to figure out an entry for this week if I can. Which reminds me I have some editing to do tonight for ______ before I can focus on one for myself. So hard to think of something when I'm so tired. Couldn't even get up for church yesterday. :cry: Thankfully there are podcasts I can listen to but it's certainly not the same as gathering with other believers. Though Ryan said practically no one from our group was there and the associate pastor spoke and he's never as good as our main pastor. I miss our people. We're hopefully getting together next Monday for Labor Day.

Miss my writer friends as well. This is the first year since I've been a member that FW hasn't had a conference. Every year I got to look forward to seeing my bestest friends in person rather than just online. Karls came out for a visit, which was wonderful, and I'm sure Seema and Barb and I will get a chance to do the fair (hopefully!) but it's definitely not the same as seeing the whole gang. Is there a get-together in the PNW? Did I miss the planning for that? If it's the same weekend we're there, maybe....

Night, all. Hope your Mondays start out well.

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:30 am

Shann wrote:Not sure if I got everyone's but these are the ones I know. Now don't make me nag you to go and comment on our quirky little group's stories :nono2
You even edited mine and didn't list it! :roll:

I guess I really biffed it this week....

:oops:

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:29 am

I am still here Shann, just having a hard time right now.Asked my manager about the time off, and he said I will have to wait until winter when things are slow enough. I just dont get it. It is ok for for the "Other" night worker to take off two seperate weeks in the summer, but I have to wait until it rains too much to do anything.

Yes... I could use prayer on this. I know I NEED my job for the various Payments I make, but I am trully thinking of quitting. I work myself nearly to death, and my partner, who is supposedly in charge gets all the credit, even though he comes in late every night. I just give up. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:27 am

Awww Pup, bummer about your job! It always seems the ones who go above and beyond their job duties get treated trampled on. (I speak from experience!) I will be praying for the decisions you need to make regarding the job.
Barb Culler

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 am

I've got job issues too. I am an administrator of 3 group homes for persons who have developmental disabilities. While I love the clients I work with, I know that I'm a poor supervisor to the staff who take direct care of the clients. I'm on call 24/7 and rarely get a break from the stress.

There's an office job within my company coming available in October and I plan on applying for it. Of course its a steep cut in pay- but it's Monday- Friday, 8-5 with no supervisory decisions needed! My boss knows that I'm interested in it- and my reasons. I am praying that this is a good step and wondering if God will okay it. If not, I'm praying for another job-anything where I'm not a supervisor!

Leah and Seem- when are you all available to go to the fair? It's closed Monday/Tuesday- except for opening weekend. Wednesday-Friday is Five dollars after 5 PM and much cooler weather-wise.

I have a great title for a challenge story this week- but alas, no idea what to write about! :roll:
Barb Culler

Return to “The Water Cooler”