To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby deejay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Just checked, and the job closed 18 hours ago. Oh, well, it would've meant taking 2-3 buses to get to from where I live. I guess I'll have to sign up with ZipRecruiter and hope something similar comes along. But I did get my resume' updated.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't understand how you can be so calm. I'd be frantic. Have you ever looked into cleaning hotels or motels? It sounds like you enjoy cleaning and are good at it.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Those are serviced through contractors, require that you drive, and quite bluntly only hire Latinos. I'm calm because I still have my job at the church, I'm still in a shelter, and frankly I want to get out of cleaning.

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Yesterday, between church and our Super Bowl party, I went to buy new sneakers because mine were worn out and hurting my right foot. I ended up buying a pair of the same kind--only one that had wide width--but I got a size 8 1/2 instead of a size 8. They're more comfortable, which is great. I wanted to buy some cookies for dessert for the party, but apparently Mrs. Field's no longer is at South Coast Plaza. I ended up getting a two pound assortment from See's Candy. There were no leftovers. We played Superbowl Bingo--I won--and we had a Super Bowl prop betting sheet. Even though I don't understand much of the game of football, I scored 20 out of 25.Okay, I had to ask for some of the answers after they happened, but I did a good job of guessing!

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm

How's the job hung coming along, Deejay? I hope you're able to get out and look on your own some, that you aren't just relying on the job leads given to you by the social worker at the shelter, because that's not enough. You don't just get jobs handed to you. I recently read somewhere that it can take 7 months to find a job, and that's with treating a job search as your job, where you're constantly looking and submitting applications.

I'd be happy to look over your resume for you. Things have changed in the past few years, espeically with all the online job applications. I've learned some "tricks of the trade" so let me know if you want some help.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Well, this one job board, Zip Recruiter, keeps sending me stuff that is out of my way, like L.A. and stuff. I'm looking at the stuff they send, but have yet to post my resume'.
Our office manager at church updated/revised it for me, but it mainly just has that I've been the church janitor for the last 8 years. Maybe I should add to it what else I've done, without giving dates, and point out what skills I've acquired at each job. Job-changing is a challenge no matter your age, but when you're a senior, it's even worse.
I figure I've got two more years to be our church's janitor, because we are selling our facility and buying a historic (1923) YMCA building near downtown Santa Ana. Pastor Brian says it's 77,000 square feet, and even if I worked 40 hours a week cleaning it, there's no way I could finish. We will have to have a janitorial crew. Whether I in effect get a promotion to manage and train the crew or whatever, I don't know.

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:01 pm

My intern from City Net went over my old and new resume's, and did work on them. I think I'll just add "willing to learn new skills" to it.

You all did know Billy Graham went home to be with the Lord this morning, right?

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Yeah. He was 99. I would have loved to have seen his arrival in heaven!

Have you tried to get out there on your own and search, or look on line other than that one site you just mentioned? If they keep sending you jobs that are too far out for you, then maybe you should join some other job search websites too, because that one's obviously not helpful. Also, have you considered moving to a different area? I mean, if "all the jobs" are too far out, then you might want to consider moving where the jobs are. I don't know if that's feasable for you or not.

Also, the offer to look over your resume is still there, especially for the online stuff. It can be really difficult to get your resume "read" by the online application submission process correctly, and if it's not "read" correctly by the website, it will never get to a real person. Let me know.

I'm just trying to help you out, Deejay. My job is literally to help others find jobs, or at least help them fine resources to help them find jobs. So I'd like to think I know a little more than the "average Joe" out there about the job hunting process.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:06 pm

I think Allison's offer is so sweet and I hope you take her up on it Deejay. If I could work, I'd jump at the chance to have someone with her expertise help me.

I miss being able to work so much, but am grateful for the technology and what not that keeps me in touch with others. I love being able to actually see my granddaughter via FaceTime when I'm not able to get out to see her in person.

Hey Puppers, how is life treating you?

Next month at this time, I should have a new granddaughter to get to know and spoil a bit (okay a lot according to my kids) :mrgreen: . Man kiddos are fun! :mrgreen: :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Okay. I'm really short on time today, but hopefully some time next week. With no driver's license or car, moving to where the jobs are would be difficult. I found two bedbugs in my bed this morning; we were supposed to have been fumigated a couple of weeks ago, but the fumigators never showed up. :x

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 pm

Shann wrote:Hey Puppers, how is life treating you?

It's not.

In all truth... I would be better off dead. At least then I would be in heaven.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

deejay

Postby deejay » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Aw, Pup, please don't say that! We love you and would miss you terribly if anything happened to you! Praying for you now, Pup.

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 am

Ahh my sweet Pup. I'm so sorry I missed this. I love you so much. You will always have a super special place in my heart. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. You've blessed me when I felt desperate, loved me when I felt unlovable, made me smile when I was sad, taught me wisdom when I was floundering. You are a beast--in the very best of ways. My number is still the same, but I'll send you a PM. You can call any time. :sofa :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2
Shann

Shann's Profile

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi guys, remember me? I'm seriously considering getting back into writing. I never quit Faithwriters, and would peek in every once in awhile.

I took an early retirement from a very stressful job as of February 1, and life is starting to look good. I've always enjoyed writing, but when I gave it up in 2013, I thought that I was kidding myself thinking that I had the ability to be a writer. But in the 7 weeks that I've been "rescued" from a job that made me feel like I'd received the dementor's kiss, I'm feeling like a new person, and my creative streak is coming back.

I did restart my blog, and although I'm getting very little to no feedback on it, I'm doing it for me. Even the joy of doing photography melted away, but it has also returned.

So, here I am, thinking of what next to do, to make up for the years of depressed creativity, and lack of having a life!
Barb Culler

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 am

We could never forget you! I still have my purple pencil as my avatar thanks to you! Teehee. I did hear you retired and knew that your job was stressful but I'm sure I didn't have a clue how stressful it really was.

I've always thought you had some great raw talent. When you're ready for an editor, give me a ring. If I'm not a match for you, I can help you find someone. I think many people underestimate how important a good matched editor really is. I've come to believe my talent is more in the editing field than in the writing field, but I do still enjoy writing especially for kids.

I think it's important to do things for yourself. Sure it's nice to touch others, but God can use your talents to speak to you too.

I loved the Harry Potter reference in the dementor's kiss. It's my favorite book. I just received my Christmas present from my daughter. It was the 3rd illustrated book. It had been back-ordered and took forever to get here, but I'm looking forward to reading it. The illustrations are from the books not the movies and the entire text is included. If you enjoyed the books, you'll love the illustrated versions.

The challenge is on break right now but will start up again soon. Some of the rules and stuff have changed a bit and there's usually only 30-40 entries each week, but I'd urge you to jump into that again. It's a good way to start and having a word limit and a theme might be helpful in getting your feet damp again!

I understand the lack of life feeling. It's funny though, when I couldn't work any more, I thought that meant I didn't have much of a life or a real purpose. Of course I still had parenting to do and that helped, but then after decades of working so hard to teach my kids responsibilities, empathy, work ethics, manners, desire to help others, what thanks did I get? Yep, they became hard-working, responsible, independent adults and left me! Tah! :wink: I'm so proud of them all. M is a school counselor working with families and kids who are really struggling. She's married and on Wednesday gave birth to our second granddaughter. So Payton is now a big sister to Lyncoln Louise. Being a grandma (Nama) is like the coolest thing ever. My son, Q, is getting married in May and is working at a United Methodist College in Alabama. He's 14 hours away from home. The girls are about an hour. I miss him, but he doesn't miss the snow and he enjoys working with students and local churches. It seems the perfect fit for him right now. He's still deciding whether to become an ordained minister, but feels God calling him in a different way right now. Our youngest, Lyd, is a first-grade teacher and going to school part-time to get her Master's degree. She loves being an aunt and lives about 10 minutes away from her sister.

I am so happy you popped in Barb. I hope you'll come back and I'd love to see your writing or photography. I'm not great with computers so I'd probably not be good at reading your blog and I mainly use FB to play Word and to video-chat with my grandchildren.

Deejay, I've been praying for you as the end of March nears. If I remember correctly, you went to that place for a year about this time last year. I hope the job search is going and you'll find a permanent place soon. I firmly believe God has great plans for your experiences to help others in similar situations. I can't even imagine how scary it would be to live in a shelter or maybe even be forced to live on the streets so you could emphasize with others in a very special way. Sometimes our toughest times in life can be used to glorify God.

I know you know that too Pup, but I'm guessing it probably isn't very comforting right now. I just want you to know how much I love you. It may not feel like it but God loves you too. Maybe it's time for you to go back out into the world and find a missionary group. I'm sure a place like Puerto Rico is desperate for men who know how to work hard. A place like that could really use your support, wisdom, and love, but I think even more you need to feel needed and worthy. You are so critical to God's plan. I don't have the answers and my heart is just aching for the pain you're enduring. I have wanted to die many times myself and have wondered why God fought so hard to keep me alive. I couldn't see how anyone would even notice if I disappeared. I don't mean to imply that I know how you feel because I don't, but I have had bad feelings about myself and still do struggle with them. I wish I knew the right words to say. I will always love you and I am praying for you. I'm here if you need to reach out to someone anytime day or night. And as my mom used to say, Keep your chin up and your eyes on the Lord. :grouphug :hugs3 :loveyou
Shann

Shann's Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler