Wk 2 Topic: ALL TALK, NO ACTION Challenge

Discuss everything to do with the Writing Challenge. Feel free to ask questions and find a Challenge buddy.
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Moderators: Deb Porter, itsjoanne, RedBaron

itsjoanne

Wk 2 Topic: ALL TALK, NO ACTION Challenge

Post by itsjoanne » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi there, Challengeers. Have you been planning to enter the Challenge for ages? Maybe you’ve even said you’re going to do it, but never quite make it. Well, if that’s you, then you are an example of the Week 2 topic:

ALL TALK, NO ACTION
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

Here’s a little definition for you:

ALL TALK, NO ACTION
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/all_talk_and_no_action

Basically, it’s to say you’ll do something, but never follow through. Or maybe only do a little after promising a lot. Politicians are often marked with this particular idiom (sometimes due to no fault of their own).

Have fun with the topic because it is a fun topic. You can write in any genre or style you like, AS LONG AS SOME MEANING OF THE TOPIC IS THE MAIN FOCUS OF YOUR ENTRY ... and as long as the entry conforms to the rules.

DON’T FORGET the new Challenge rule. Every entry must communicate some form of Christian message or spiritual truth. For fiction writers, if your message is subtle or allegorical, please include a scripture at the end of the entry in order to highlight the intended message for the reader.

As always, make sure you check your word count before submitting (entries must be between 150 and 750 words). A very reliable and free online word count check tool is this one:

http://www.wordcountertool.com/

PLEASE, always hit the preview button to check your entry before hitting the final submit button. This is the only way to make sure your entry is uploaded correctly. This is very important, particularly if you are using HTML code for the first time. Once you have previewed your entry, close the preview page and hit the submit button.

Finally, once submitted, do a check to make sure your entry is safely in the list:

http://www.faithwriters.com/myaccount/wc-entry-list.php.

So if you’ve been talking about entering the Challenge for a while now, let’s see you be all talk and loads of action this week. Hope to see you in the list.

Love,
Joanne
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

cori67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wk 2 Topic: ALL TALK, NO ACTION Challenge

Post by cori67 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:52 pm

I feel like I am BACK. Just submitted my second entry. Whether I place or not is immaterial. I am just happy that I have the inclination to do this again. I am reminded of the scene in "The Notebook" where Rachel McAdams' character tells her fiance that she is going to start painting again. She didn't even realise how much she missed it. I feel the same way. Because I make my living as a writer, and write so much content for other people, I had forgotten the joy of writing for me, and just because.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:16 pm

I kind of have an idea, but must admit after seeing so many pros back, along with people who have been entering the last 18 months I haven't, I'm a bit intimidated. I haven't written anything for me in ages. Doing editing, rewrites, and ghostwriting seems to be more my gift than writing just for me, but if I can get over my fears, maybe I will jump in again. After all, God did kind of give me an idea...
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Karlene
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Karlene » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 am

Shann wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:16 pm
I kind of have an idea, but must admit after seeing so many pros back, along with people who have been entering the last 18 months I haven't, I'm a bit intimidated. I haven't written anything for me in ages. Doing editing, rewrites, and ghostwriting seems to be more my gift than writing just for me, but if I can get over my fears, maybe I will jump in again. After all, God did kind of give me an idea...
I am intimidated too, Shann. I haven't written for fun in so long (2015 was the last entry) that I have to flex and stretch these flabby writing muscles. :book2
Penning words for the heart and soul,
Karls

Karlene
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Karlene » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:02 am

I have this (late) idea, but I am not sure it really fits with the topic. I'll probably submit, regardless, just to get my feet wet again. However, I am not expecting to place. At all. :book2 I'm okay with that. It's been a long time without exercising these writer-brain muscles. :typing2
Penning words for the heart and soul,
Karls

trudynewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by trudynewell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:38 am

Hi - Just sent in my entry. I am embarrassed and almost didn't hit the submit button. It is far below what I want it to be. I feel it should go in the 'Beginner' category! At least I completed the entry, and I enjoyed working on it.

itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am

So proud of you guys for entering! LOVE seeing names i love (and Shann - you still have 25 minutes LOL) in there.
You GO!
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Return to “Writing Challenge - General Discussion”