When did you join?

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron, cori67, beaedwards

Laurie
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

When did you join?

Post by Laurie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:12 pm

When did you join FaithWriters? :D

I think I joined in 2004. I was writing at the time, but didn't know what I was doing. I learned so much here. :D

Shann

Re: When did you join?

Post by Shann » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm

I joined in January of 2010. My husband had just lost his job in October, but found a new one and started on MLK Day that same January. I remember time lines counting down children and grandchildren's arrivals, and Ms Barbie made me my pretty purple pencil (we all had a discussion about if the yellow was yellow or orange and decided to dub it school bus color, but I was sad there was no purple one (and was a rare advocate for the pepto bismal pink one), so Barb made me a purple one and told me in details how to make it my avatar!
I wasn't a grandma yet, but now can barely remember life without my granddaughters, Payton and Lyncoln. M hadn't even dated her husband yet, but had just met him at the college they were both working at and would soon go on that first date. Q was in college in Buffalo (but now is married and living in Alabama and working at a small UMC college in Birmingham), and Lyd was in high school (now is a first-grade teacher). Chris is still at the "new" job, but most of all I learned how to become a better writer, a better friend, an editor, and even got my editing jobs through FW connections. I'm so blessed I "stumbled" upon this site so many years ago. Oh and I still tend to ramble and get off the beaten path a bit, but I digress... I joined 9 years ago! :mrgreen:
I also remember it used to say next to your avatar when you joined. But now if you click on your name, it will tell you when you joined the forums (which might be different from main site, but will give you an idea if you can't remember).
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:20 pm

May of 2005, my first challenge entry was on 5/27/05. Ironically, Jolynn was born on 5/27/10 and my first entry was titled Birthdays Remembered lol.

I had begun looking for freelance writing opportunities to supplement our income after Josh was born in December. I did start getting some paid work, but so much more :). I was blessed with amazing friends :).
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Laurie
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Laurie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Shann, it's fun to hear about what your family was doing at the time you joined.

Shari, it seems I remember you reading challenge entries while you were nursing Josh. How fun about the 5/27 date for your Birthdays Remembered piece and Jolynn's birthday.

Karlene
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Karlene » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:21 am

I joined in 2008. After spending time complaining to God about friends getting to live out their dreams, and whining about "why not me", I was asked, "When will you quit complaining and begin doing?"

Shortly after this little exchange, I was searching the "Writers' Guild" site and noticed the FaithWriters' link in the bottom of one of WG's pages, and clicked the link. From that point on, I utilized the FW critiques on my challenge entries to cultivate and grow the gifts and talents of God that had been planted in my heart.

FW became more than a writing website, though. When active, I had gone through the loss of a dear pastor, changed churches, loss of my mom to ovarian cancer, nursing school, getting stories published, and a financial crash that threatened to overtake me emotionally. Through each high and low, the FW friends/family I have gained supported in prayer, encouragement, and wise counsel. Several of my early years, we hosted an annual FW conference in Livonia, MI which was in my neighborhood and I was blessed with the opportunity to serve and care for people who have become family to me. :grouphug :grouphug2 :grouphug3
Penning words for the heart and soul,
Karls

itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:30 am

I joined in July of 2006. My husband was three years out of his brain tumor diagnosis, and I was finally feeling like I had room to be creative (I often say that all my creativity in those first few years what in staying alive and keeping my life together). I don't remember exactly what I was searching for, but I found it. Wrote a challenge entry that first day (NOT great) - but have loved this place ever since. What an amazing family! And now I'm challenge coordinator. CRAZY!
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Laurie
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Laurie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Karlene, you've been through so much for so long. I'm so glad you found FW when you did and have found such supportive people here.

Joanne, I can believe it took time after your husband's diagnosis to feel creative again. It takes a lot of energy just to survive during such difficult times.

Ms. Barbie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by Ms. Barbie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:28 pm

I first joined in November, 2009 because a friend from church, Coleene VanTilburg, spoke highly of it. I was very enthusiastic at the start, but then began to lose inspiration. I attended the 2010 FW conference, and roomed with Shari and her girls. I recall enjoying caring for Shari's baby more than the getting the writing information. I felt out of place. I kept up the writing, and Shann often helped me out, and I managed to place a few times before I gave up 6 years ago.
I recently retired and this is the first month that I'm back into the action. I am so thrilled that my first piece actually placed!
Barb Culler

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm so happy to see you back! I really did do a Happy Dance, Barb!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Laurie
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Laurie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Barb, I saw this morning that you placed. I was so happy to see that. :D

cori67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cori67 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 pm

I joined in November 2005 and at one time had the most posts on the Forum. Also, was crowned the Queen of Bad Poetry.

Then life happened and for over 7 years my time was consumed with ministry and family. Now I have some balance again and have enjoyed getting back to writing 'just because' (and not because it's my bread and butter) and reconnecting on the forums.

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Laurie wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 pm
Shann, it's fun to hear about what your family was doing at the time you joined.

Shari, it seems I remember you reading challenge entries while you were nursing Josh. How fun about the 5/27 date for your Birthdays Remembered piece and Jolynn's birthday.
Yup - I did a lot more reading when he was little LOL.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 pm

cori67 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 pm
I joined in November 2005 and at one time had the most posts on the Forum. Also, was crowned the Queen of Bad Poetry.
I had the most posts at one time, for a LONG time... then the pruning happened lol.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

Laurie
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Laurie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 am

Cori, I'm glad you can write for the fun of it again. I looked up National Bad Poetry Day, and it will be on August 18. I hope you'll wow us on that day. :D

Shari, I remember when you were the post leader. It seems your post count had five digits. :D

For those who have joined in more recent years, I hope you'll chime in, too, and let us know when you joined and how you found us. :D

oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:30 pm

I joined in 2010, and I'm marveling at how everyone has such cogent memories surrounding their joining Faithwriters. From out my limited memory :D comes my first submission to the Challenge. UGH!! I had NO clue as to what it took to write a piece that would make the top 10, 20, or even 50. :lol: To say that I eventually had several articles that landed among the top 10 is a real testimony to what I learned from my fellow faithwriters, Jan, and Ann. For several years afterwards, the excitement of being challenged to write 750 words in seven days that would earn a place at the top consumed my week. Nail-biting - disappointment, nail-biting-joy, nail-biting and then a sense of accomplishment characterized my Thursdays. My enthusiasm spilled over to my sister who is a much better writer than I. To prove it, when she finally decided to join, her first submission made the top 10. :mrgreen: Nevertheless, what I've learned over the years have undoubtedly made me a better writer, and I will always remain a grateful member of Faithwriters.

Still, I've missed seeing old-timers like Colin, Amy, Christy, and so many others. I sincerely hope that the reappearance of many from Faithwriter's glorious history signals great things for Faithwriters in the future.

Blessings

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60
https://grammyspen.com
Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to “Open Forum - General Writing Discussion”