critique submission

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, beaedwards, cori67, itsjoanne, Sparrow

Sibermom65
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

critique submission

Post by Sibermom65 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

For the upcoming writer's conference I will be attending, we have the chance to submit a small section (up to 750 words) of our current work for a critique. Ideally, I know it would be great to use a particularly troublesome passage, but the one I need I'm still struggling to write (it is really hard) and I need to get the submission in ASAP. So I feel stuck with what I already have written (first draft.)
Finding a suitable passage in my children's historical fantasy that fits that length is hard, but I've narrowed my choices down. I can go with the opening, checking if it has a good "hook"; I can look at a passage that describes the MC's interaction with a minor character, that underscores the MC's character and the inner conflicts; or thirdly, I can present a passage in the 'big battle' at the climax. Which of the three do you feel would be best to use?

itsjoanne

Re: critique submission

Post by itsjoanne » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am

My first instinct is to go with the second option - the MC and a minor character. I think that could possibly give you more feedback to apply to the entire manuscript.

Just my thoughts. :)

Return to “Open Forum - General Writing Discussion”