The Official Writing Challenge
This article has been read 1367 times
Member Comments
Member
Date
02/20/14

Oh, I really enjoyed this! I like how you so vividly and perfectly showed being at “wit’s end” with both the MC and Mrs. Beckman, without saying it. I had begun to suspect the item Mrs. Beckman wanted was a bible, but I thought it was going to be “red letter edition”, not a red bible. My mother has a cousin that is in a nursing home that, because of a brain injury can only say two words “all right.” He says “all right” for everything, no matter what you ask him. Like Mrs. Beckman in your story, he can comprehend what you are saying to him but can only respond with “all right.” And you can just read the exasperation and frustration on his face as he tries to answer. Therefore it was easy for me to truly envision Mrs. Beckman’s frustration! This was an excellent read, so well done!
02/20/14
Wow, and double wow. This was truly a nail biter as I tried to figure out what 'Red' meant along with the MC. I thought at first she wanted to be "read" to. I loved this whole story, it sounds like a true one.

Very well written and I loved the fact that the answer was hidden in the Bible verse. You leave the reader wanting to read more about the lady who kept saying 'Red'.

Thanks for a real inspiration and smile bringer.

Lynn
02/21/14
Wonderful story; I could feel the frustration both characters experienced. It reminded me of a conversation I had with a deaf friend who spoke, but not clearly. She was telling me something but I could not understand. She solved the problem by writing on a chalk board!

Wing His Words
02/21/14
Well you made me cry with joy for the characters and longing for my Bible to be that treasured of a possession in my own life. Fabulous story. Thank you so much.
02/21/14
This brought both satisfaction to the reader, as the MC discovered the answer, and the desire to know more about her patient. I had thought perhaps she wanted "Fred," a dearly departed husband or friend. Your article has clearly presented one of the most common distresses for a stroke patient, or anyone with diminishing brain function, really. You crafted a story as instructive as it was entertaining. that's always a good thing for a writer to do. Thanks for this nicely done story.
This was just delightful and so highlights the frustration that many stroke patients must feel. A wonderful story - I hope it was true. (Many years ago my mother gave me a beautiful red leather Bible, making the comment 'A Bible should be red'!!)
02/26/14
You have packed so much into this, and so skilfully.
Your portrayal of the parallel frustration of your MC and the stroke victim is so strong. And you have wrapped it up so happily and so credibly that I strongly suspect an autobiographical touch on the story. Excellent work.
02/27/14
I was thrilled to see your name at the top of the list, even more joyous after reading your deserving story which blessed me with a combination of goose bumps and tears.
02/27/14
Congratulations on your placing first for EC! God bless.
02/27/14
WOW! Amazing writing and one I will remember for a long time. Congratulations on your win Camille. I'm so happy for you.
02/27/14
For you who so faithfully encourages others by your comments, let me return the favor.:-)

Congratulations on a super story, and a much-deserved win.
02/27/14
Such masterful and poignant writing. Many congrats on your awards.
02/27/14
Congratulations CD! A very well-deserved win!
02/27/14
Congratulations! I knew this was something really special, but didn't want to jinx it by calling it a winner. So very happy for you and all the times in the past when you deserved this! Blessings my dear friend!
02/27/14
Awesome! Congratulations on this spectacular entry! But then, we always knew you have what it takes. Keep the great stories coming.
02/27/14
Man, oh, man, my heart is dancing. Taking the top prize in 1st place and EC! So happy for you, Camille.
02/27/14
YAHOO Camille! Congratulations! I am doing the happy dance for you! You so deserved this 1st place win!
02/27/14
Way to go, girlfriend!
Congratulations; you earned it!

Wing His Words
02/27/14
Congrats! It is so ironic that my wife and I are experiencing the same situation at a nursing home where we direct the BINGO. A little old man can only say "Boy Shoes". Thank you. We will try your method and prayer. God bless.
02/27/14
Congratulations! I loved this sweet story! So glad for you. You drew me in from the beginning.
First, HAPPY DANCE!! I am glad I'm home alone because when I saw your name at the top of the EC list, I literally yelped in joy! My dog gave me a funny look, but I don't care because I'm so happy for you. Your story was brilliant. You started off with a clear conflict. Because I'm me and the only one who would dare leave red ink on the first place winner overall... I can't resist and know you realize it comes with love. In the one paragraph you used the phrase family member twice, maybe sub one for relative. But, it obviously doesn't matter because you did amazing. I love that the nurse reassured her that she would be praying. As both a former nurse and patient, I understand how important it is to let the patient know someone is praying for you. Again I say, Happy Dance!!!
So very thrilled this wonderful story took first place Camille. Many many congratulations. It is even more special knowing this is a true account. Just great.
02/27/14
Numero uno!
Cogratulations for sharing such a brilliant story, you well-deserved winner, you.
Congrats! Well done.
02/27/14
Congratulation on your win! I loved this story. Just want to say thanks for all the wonderful comments and encouragement you have given me and many other in the challenge. Blessings, LaVonne
02/27/14
You had me rushing to the end to find out what "red" was! Congratulations on your well-deserved win.
Congratulations on your well-deserved win! I was excited to see this beautiful story at the top.
Congratulations on your well-deserved win! I was excited to see this beautiful story at the top.
02/28/14
Yay, Camille! Doing a happy dance for you, sweet lady! Congrats! God bless!
02/28/14
Congratulations C.D.! Well deserved win! So happy to see you at first place!

Susan Ferguson
02/28/14
Congratulations! I loved the story, was thinking the whole time it might have been the " red ink" 'Jesus' words! But yes, her beloved red bible! Awesome !
03/03/14
Wow! What a long line of back-slappers you have here, dear cami! I'm a bit later than everyone else, but just as sincere. Can you see me coming with two bouquets of roses...one for E.C. and one for top in our category! Hope you're not allergic to their perfume. I'm soo glad that Anne-Lise wrote to tell me your great news here! I can't believe the ONE time I totally forget to check the winners--such a busy day it was--and it was the day your story hit the top! I'm beside myself with joy! A double win! Oh, how marvelous!
03/07/14
What a powerfully crafted story. I enjoy reading your work and am so glad it placed 1st place.

A belated congratulations on your win! This is a wonderful story.

It reminded me of the times my wife and I would volunteer at the nursing homes in town with our small children. Many had strokes and could not communicate with their words. It was quite frustrating at times. But I was so proud of my children's patience with them.

Thanks for sharing this heartfelt and well formulated story.

Dusty
04/17/14
This was a neat little story. I ended with tears in my eyes. How difficult communication is when we can think and speak properly; it must be so frustrating to someone who has a stroke or other affliction to get across what they want. Great tie-in to, and revelation about, the Word. - Thanks also for your reviews!
06/20/14
Congratulations, my dear friend, on being a strong contender for Best Of the Best. I truly hope you win, because this is an article I remember well, and that speaks for itself. So lovely and touching. It deserves top honors.

BLessings, Lynn